BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-10-2017, 03:17 AM   #1
P1Fanatic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F25 30d M-Sport Alpine White

X3 30D Drivetrain Warning Error

First saw this error back in December when I was manoeuvring in an offroad car park. Was reversing to turn around and going down a slight incline. As I moved from reverse into drive a transmission error popped up. I just assumed I had been too quick to move into Drive and possible the car was still rolling back so got itself confused. It cleared shortly after and never saw it again until about 3 months later. This time I was on an A road and coasting onto a roundabout. Went to accelerate and a drivetrain error appeared and I had no power. I tried switching into Sport mode and using the paddles to get some drive but nothing. About 4-5 secs later it came back into life and I could accelerate again. Last Friday I was on the M25 in traffic doing about 50mph and the drivetrain error appeared again. I felt no loss in power as was able to keep accelerating although I wasn’t exactly putting my foot to the floor just in case). This time wife was with me so go her to take a picture. Drove the car on Saturday no problem. Sunday again on an A road and warning flashed up again but no apparent loss in power.

Am calling up my local dealer later today to book it in for a service (just showing vehicle inspection and oil change in the service menu). I will ask them to check on this but am expecting the usual “can’t find anything”. There are no errors showing in vehicle status menu. Hopefully a colleague is bringing in his OBD reader so I can check if any error codes stored. I’ve searched on here and on google and seems to cover a multitude of issues with slightly different error codes.

Anyone else had this and what was the cause / fix? Mine is a couple of months outside of the 3yr UK warranty and has only covered 27k miles. I have owned it for 26 months and 23k miles and never seen any errors before. Typically it was serviced middle of November (about 6 weeks before the error first appeared).

Thanks
Simon
      04-10-2017, 04:12 AM   #2
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

I had exactly the same problem 2 years ago. The car was under warranty. They checked for error codes, and they replaced a small logic board/component.

I do not know which component they replaced.
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 04:17 AM   #3
P1Fanatic
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_R View Post
I had exactly the same problem 2 years ago. The car was under warranty. They checked for error codes, and they replaced a small logic board/component.

I do not know which component they replaced.
Thanks. Fingers crossed its that simple.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 05:37 AM   #4
PerryGunn
Idiot-in-chief
Rep
Drives: around: in: circles:

Garage List
If they do have to replace something, as long as it has full BMW service history and is only just outside the warranty period, I would expect BMW to make a goodwill payment to cover the majority of the cost
      04-10-2017, 06:58 AM   #5
P1Fanatic
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryGunn View Post
If they do have to replace something, as long as it has full BMW service history and is only just outside the warranty period, I would expect BMW to make a goodwill payment to cover the majority of the cost
One would hope so especially if it ends up being a substantial cost. Is that something you pursue direct with the repairing dealer or have to contact BMW UK direct?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 12:09 PM   #6
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1Fanatic View Post
One would hope so especially if it ends up being a substantial cost. Is that something you pursue direct with the repairing dealer or have to contact BMW UK direct?
Normally in the UK, the dealer contacts BMW first. If the client objects if there is no good will, then it is up to him/her to contact them to see if there is some sort of compromise to be had.
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2017, 10:40 AM   #7
P1Fanatic
Private First Class
Rep

Just as a follow on I had local dealer check it whilst in for a service and they found error codes even thogh nothing on OBD suggesting faulty EGR valve. Part ordered and fitted same day (just about). Total cost inc labour was £231. So far the error message has not returned (touched wood).
Appreciate 0