BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-27-2011, 04:08 PM   #1
chuckypowers
Rep
Drives: Audi TT

Angry Decided to build my own X3

having first ordered my X3 with BMW in December of last year and having my order cancelled in error and then re ordering on February 16th, the latest status is delivery is scheduled for November 11th .. in that time I have managed to produce a little baby...

so as needs must I am looking at building my own X3 by taking the old X5 Front and bolting the end of an old renault espace to it..

My wife just ordered a New Ford Focus.. it is due to be delivered on August 24th.. hmmmmm now thats what i call production and build..

I dont think i am going to buy a car from BMW ever again !
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 04:34 PM   #2
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckypowers View Post
.. in that time I have managed to produce a little baby...
Hopefully, with a little help from your wife.

Quote:
so as needs must I am looking at building my own X3 by taking the old X5 Front and bolting the end of an old renault espace to it..
Since you're planning on using only the front half of the X5, it will only qualify to be a "X2-1/2". Please submit photos to us and BMW, I'm sure they will appreciate them.

Sorry for your seemingly endless delays. In this depressed, and extremely competitive economy, there is no excuse for a car company taking that long to deliver a product.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 04:46 PM   #3
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
having first ordered my X3 with BMW in December of last year and having my order cancelled in error and then re ordering on February 16th, the latest status is delivery is scheduled for November 11th .. in that time I have managed to produce a little baby...

My wife just ordered a New Ford Focus.. it is due to be delivered on August 24th.. hmmmmm now thats what i call production and build..

I dont think i am going to buy a car from BMW ever again !
Do you think this action

Quote:
ok.. went into my dealer today BMW park lane and attempted to cancel my order based on the fact they told me the delivery date would be 15/12/11

a lot of calls were made and i was told to come back at 3pm as they couldn't get in touch with the plant in South Carolina..

Came back at 3pm and they said that they had spoken to the plant and that my order had been escalated and the expected delivery was now August 15th.. we shall see
was the reason BMW cancelled your order in error? Perhaps they got further with your request than you thought

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 05:00 PM   #4
Itchywasabi
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
Hopefully, with a little help from your wife.

Since you're planning on using only the front half of the X5, it will only qualify to be a "X2-1/2". Please submit photos to us and BMW, I'm sure they will appreciate them.

Sorry for your seemingly endless delays. In this depressed, and extremely competitive economy, there is no excuse for a car company taking that long to deliver a product.
LOL, could be someone else.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 05:55 PM   #5
chuckypowers
Rep
Drives: Audi TT

Talking Yes my wife had a rather large role ! LOL

The reason the orginal order was cancelled was due to them cancelling the wrong order.. I know hard to believe but true !
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 01:52 AM   #6
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
The reason the orginal order was cancelled was due to them cancelling the wrong order.. I know hard to believe but true !
Wouldn't that have left another X3 on order with no buyer (for the customer who cancelled)? Why couldn't they offer you his X3 instead? Sounds like a right mess

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 02:28 AM   #7
acey81
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 40d M-sport; F80 M3

I'm also questioning BMWs allocation strategy. It seems that the lead time in most parts of the US is 3-5 weeks. Surely that seems a bit unreasonable considering that you have to wait 8-12 months in Europe. Someone at BMW needs to take a long hard look at this.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 02:47 AM   #8
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Originally Posted by acey81 View Post
I'm also questioning BMWs allocation strategy. It seems that the lead time in most parts of the US is 3-5 weeks. Surely that seems a bit unreasonable considering that you have to wait 8-12 months in Europe. Someone at BMW needs to take a long hard look at this.
the unfortunate fact is its the best vehicle in its segment and demand is overwhelming and the result is that wait to get the vehicle. However it looks like North America definetly have a huge allocation and chepaest price, not sure if the most previous gen X3 sold worldwide reside there.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 02:59 AM   #9
acey81
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inamik75 View Post
the unfortunate fact is its the best vehicle in its segment and demand is overwhelming and the result is that wait to get the vehicle. However it looks like North America definetly have a huge allocation and chepaest price, not sure if the most previous gen X3 sold worldwide reside there.
That is true, and Audi have battled with long waiting times on q5 since it launched. But that doesn't explain BMWs strategy that you can get a new X3 in a few weeks in the US and wait a year in Europe. Considering that Europe is BMWs most important market (609 000 sold vehicles compared to 220 000 in the US) it becomes even more puzzling. Even if you live you Munich and order a new BMW which isn't in high demand you won't have as short delivery times.

Surely the US could live with a more normal 10-12 weeks delivery time?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 06:55 AM   #10
Max1Factor
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive20i M Sport

Quote:
Is that 'true' because they said so? A UK order placed in mid Feb would have been ready for pick up in mid Sept - unless the dealer had no allocation left and chose not to tell you. Other than that, as you say it would take some sort of catastrophic 'mistake' on their part to acheive your delay - but one they would be capable of redeeming if they chose to. imho. Did you contact BMWUK to complain.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 12:05 PM   #11
ManMachine
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E60 528

Quote:
Originally Posted by acey81 View Post
That is true, and Audi have battled with long waiting times on q5 since it launched. But that doesn't explain BMWs strategy that you can get a new X3 in a few weeks in the US and wait a year in Europe. Considering that Europe is BMWs most important market (609 000 sold vehicles compared to 220 000 in the US) it becomes even more puzzling. Even if you live you Munich and order a new BMW which isn't in high demand you won't have as short delivery times.

Surely the US could live with a more normal 10-12 weeks delivery time?
BMW sedans may be one case (produced in Europe), but most SAVs sell in North America. I thought most in Europe would live happily with a 3 or 5 series wagon? Which are better cars IMO.
      06-29-2011, 03:00 PM   #12
acey81
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManMachine View Post
BMW sedans may be one case (produced in Europe), but most SAVs sell in North America. I thought most in Europe would live happily with a 3 or 5 series wagon? Which are better cars IMO.
SAVs will soon count for about 50% of all BMWs sold, and considering that the X1 isn't even sold in the US, and that the X5/X6 comes with more engine alternatives, I don't think that the US is the main SUV/SAV market any more (maybe if they were actual trucks).

I don't think the 3 or 5 series wagon are better cars. It's a bit apples and oranges if you ask me. And either way, doesn't explain the extreme lead times.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 01:47 PM   #13
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35d | 2019 X3 30i

Garage List
I share your pain of waiting...which I hate...
A bit off subject here... but of fundamental business (slogan) policies of BMW (and similarly M-B) is that "if you want a BMW, you have to wait for it!"
Now, this may sound very negative, but I think you have to look at it from a prestigous stand point and not that BMW is being bitchy about their products.
I think what is happening with X3 is that, the company had not prepared itself for such high volume of demand and therefore, things are becoming back-order one after another. This is definetely NOT the slogan's procedure but a order management fault which the demand exceeded the supply...
take other models for instance-3 series... you can order that car in a relatively reasonable timeframe... (again before the 2012 series come out...)
Appreciate 0