BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-30-2012, 02:37 PM   #1
nrgetic99
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive 35i

Any had luck getting dealer to turn off TPMS ?

Hello,

New poster, long time lurker.

I have a 2011 X3 xDrive 35i made 02/11. I am second owner. Vehicle came with Sport activity pack which back then did not come with 19's. It came with 18s and RTFs.

I bought some genuine BMW 19s (the 5 spoke double or split spoke) and Goodyear Eagle "Run on Flat" in a 245/45/19 for a summer set up and decided to keep the 18s for winter.

The TPMS indicated a fault after around 50 miles and I cannot reset it. After reading a thread here that LOTUS contributed to, I found I have black rubber valve stems and the original 18s have the silver metal one.

This leads me to believe I have the wrong Pressure sensors installed. The issue is I cannot remove tires to check and/or intsall correct ones as they are run flats and may be damaged.

I called dealer and they have said that they would not accept liability of turning off TPMS for customers even though wheels are genuine OEM.

Ayone had any success getting dealers to turn off the TPMS ? I would have it turned back on when I run the 18s in the winter.

Many thanks

David
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 02:46 PM   #2
DavC5000
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 Bmw X3 28i

The 19s that you have dont have tpms they are just regular valve stems so to correct it you have to buy correct tpms sensors from dealer or online and have a shop install them for you which will be a couple hundred for both sensors and probabaly installation too. no need to worry of damaging run flats if you go to a place that knows what they are doing. and lastly i dont know if they can turn off the tpms because it is required by law and are checked during the annual inspection at least in MA. and it would be unwise to not have tpms sensors because if u get a flat u would never know due to run flats and that is dangerous imo.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 02:55 PM   #3
nrgetic99
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavC5000 View Post
The 19s that you have dont have tpms they are just regular valve stems so to correct it you have to buy correct tpms sensors from dealer or online and have a shop install them for you which will be a couple hundred for both sensors and probabaly installation too. no need to worry of damaging run flats if you go to a place that knows what they are doing. and lastly i dont know if they can turn off the tpms because it is required by law and are checked during the annual inspection at least in MA. and it would be unwise to not have tpms sensors because if u get a flat u would never know due to run flats and that is dangerous imo.
Thanks,

I got good info from tire rack and fond that in PA where I live it is NOT required to have functioning TPMS for state inspection.

Now I need to find a local tire installer who is happy to work with run flats.

What I am struggling with is how I ended up with 5 spoke M F25 wheels that do not have the correct sensor ??? Was there a period of time when they used the ABS system or have they switched away from the sensors and now all new models are ABS based ??? I know my 06 X5 4.8iS was ABS based

David
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 03:37 PM   #4
nrgetic99
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
...What I am struggling with is how I ended up with 5 spoke M F25 wheels that do not have the correct sensor ??? Was there a period of time when they used the ABS system or have they switched away from the sensors and now all new models are ABS based ??? I know my 06 X5 4.8iS was ABS based

David
If your wheels have rubber valve stems, they do not have ANY TPMS transmitters at all. (All BMW internal pressure sending transmitters use all-metal valve stems with a large retaining nut).

Where did you purchase them? If they came from a dealer and the dealer knew that would go on a US spec. X3, they should have mounted the TPMS transmitters, although, they just may have forgotten to do it.

If they were traded with a Canadian dealership, or otherwise came from Canada, it's understandable that they have no transmitters since the Canadian cars use a differential wheel speed sensing system (no transmitters needed) for TPMS.

All US spec. X3s since mid-year 2007 have used transmitter-based TPMS. Early US spec X3s used a wheel speed sensing system (using the ABS sensors). The transmitters used on E83 chassis are different from those used on the F25. X3s delivered in some countries, including Canada, don't use transmitters.

I've purchased the current F25 TPMS transmitters (433 mHz model)from Tire Rack for $45 (each) less than a year ago, they may be slightly more now. I believe that most BMW dealerships are charging about $80-85 each.
If you purchased the tires and wheels from your dealership, they should give you a break on installing the transmitters.[/QUOTE]

I did not purchase from dealer, I purchased from owner who was trading up to aftermarket 20s. I will buy sensors from Tire Rack (they quoted $53/corner) and see if I can find someone who wants to install. I mean, I could live with it until tires wear out and have to be replaced .. but that may get old.

I really cannot work out why they have no sensors. I don't think vehicle they came from supplied in Canada.. ahh well, you live and learn.

David
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 03:55 PM   #5
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Tirerack has an installer network. Click on Installation on their home screen.

The wheels came from someone who bought afer market 20's? I wonder if he swapped the TPMS over to his new wheels?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 04:51 PM   #6
torzeck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i, 2020 X3 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrgetic99 View Post
Thanks,

I got good info from tire rack and fond that in PA where I live it is NOT required to have functioning TPMS for state inspection.

Now I need to find a local tire installer who is happy to work with run flats.

What I am struggling with is how I ended up with 5 spoke M F25 wheels that do not have the correct sensor ??? Was there a period of time when they used the ABS system or have they switched away from the sensors and now all new models are ABS based ??? I know my 06 X5 4.8iS was ABS based

David
I wouldn't turn off the TPMS with runflats. You'll get a flat and not know it and then drive way over the recommended 50 miles and really kill the tire, or worse, have a catastrophic failure {not good}.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 05:50 PM   #7
RxCritical
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02420X3 View Post
Tirerack has an installer network. Click on Installation on their home screen.

The wheels came from someone who bought afer market 20's? I wonder if he swapped the TPMS over to his new wheels?
I'm sure this is what happened. He bought aftermarket tires, found out new sensors were $200, decided to switch existing ones, then sold old tires/rims without sensors. He should have told you this when you bought them.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 06:03 PM   #8
nrgetic99
Rep

[QUOTE=Lotus7;11248189]David,

If you hit the "Quote" button at the bottom of the text field instead of cutting and pasting, your posts will be much easier to follow. (add your reply text after the "
Quote:
" at the end of the original text). Thanks

Sounds like whoever ordered the tires/wheels just didn't bother to install the TPMS transmitters or didn't know they were required.
I have no idea how I murdered the quote function like that. It is not first time I ever used a bulletin board. Doh ! I was too excited I guess.

David
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 06:09 PM   #9
nrgetic99
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxCritical View Post
I'm sure this is what happened. He bought aftermarket tires, found out new sensors were $200, decided to switch existing ones, then sold old tires/rims without sensors. He should have told you this when you bought them.
It is possible but I am assuming based on how difficult it is to remove and remount the Run Flats and the complete absence of any signs of the tires coming off and being replaced (i.e.) no rim marks, tire lube etc etc I have to assume it did not.

I have just asked the question of the seller.

David
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 06:27 PM   #10
torzeck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i, 2020 X3 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrgetic99 View Post
It is possible but I am assuming based on how difficult it is to remove and remount the Run Flats and the complete absence of any signs of the tires coming off and being replaced (i.e.) no rim marks, tire lube etc etc I have to assume it did not.

I have just asked the question of the seller.

David
There is nothing difficult about removing runflats if the installer knows what they're doing. Tire places and dealers do it all the time. I had my 3 series tires switched twice a year and never a scratch.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 07:28 PM   #11
nrgetic99
Rep

Ok, mystery solved. Seller has now admitted removing sensors and tire dealer , he claims put plain rubber stems in. This is odd as I am not sure tire dealers would do this on a run flat but thats where we are.

He claims it was understood sensors not included but all information I originally had does not state this nor do any emails or other exchanges between us stating it.

I do not expect any further help from seller at this point but will put this down to 'buyer beware' and add to my experience to share with others.

What does upset me a little is had I known we could have negotiated and tires could have stayed on rims (they obviously have been off) protecting both.

Ahh well, nobody reading this thread will make my mistake

That being said, price was very, very fair so you win some, you lose some.

Thanks all for your help, anyone know a trusted tire installer in the Philly area ?

David
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 08:29 AM   #12
nrgetic99
Rep

Final update, found installer locally who has correct equipment to mount/remount RFTs and is the top rated locally Tire Rack recommended installer.

Chatted with him and with supply of the sensors (Beru) we are talking close to $100/corner... a $400 learning experience for me.

The person who sold these wheels and tires posts on the forums. I would be happy of he chose to share his side here.

David
Appreciate 0