BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-05-2016, 07:46 PM   #1
dalesbmw
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28i Sport

Apple Car Play

I've learned a little more about this software from a BMW Genius rep. It sounds very cool in that it will allow iPhone apps to be displayed thru iDrive, even thru the basic iDrive 5. I currently only have a 2017 X4 iDrive 5 with no navi. So I'm curious if anyone knows if, and when this software might be able to be retrofitted to iDrives.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 02:21 AM   #2
nvanorten
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW m140

It's available on the Connected Drive Portal but even though i have idrive 5 and the requisite options it said it's not available for my car. Has anyone had any success?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 07:01 AM   #3
ctdw
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5C (F90)

It's working for me...did your car come with the Apple CarPlay option? This build option is required above and beyond the standard iDrive 5. If your car came with that option, you should be prompted to use CarPlay when you pair your iPhone for the first time.
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2017, 07:34 AM   #4
Yocal
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 X4 28i M Sport

Question

Can you mirror any app off your iOS device or is it limited to the ones listed on the Apple CarPlay page?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 12:18 PM   #5
ctdw
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yocal View Post
Can you mirror any app off your iOS device or is it limited to the ones listed on the Apple CarPlay page?
It has to be an application that supports CarPlay...this includes apps from Apple and 3rd parties like Pandora. Right now that list is limited but I am assuming it will grow over time.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 03:42 PM   #6
ctdw
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I also wanted to add that the real benefit to CarPlay for me right now is to have the full integration with the iPhone phone, messaging and music.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2017, 01:57 PM   #7
dalesbmw
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28i Sport

Actually I was told from a BMW Genius rep that ANY iDrive 5 version will be able to have a retro re-program to allow Apple car play (soon), and that it isn't necessary to have pre-ordered ACP as an option. Do we know if that's correct?
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2017, 05:19 PM   #8
ctdw
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I was just stating that you need to have that option, it's not standard on iDrive 5. It's possible they will offer the option as an add-in later but I assume there will be a charge for it if they do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalesbmw View Post
Actually I was told from a BMW Genius rep that ANY iDrive 5 version will be able to have a retro re-program to allow Apple car play (soon), and that it isn't necessary to have pre-ordered ACP as an option. Do we know if that's correct?
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 02:25 AM   #9
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdw View Post
I also wanted to add that the real benefit to CarPlay for me right now is to have the full integration with the iPhone phone, messaging and music.
You can already do that with 6NS. With Carplay, you do not get to use steering wheel controls or save functions to hotkeys.

Quote:
I was just stating that you need to have that option, it's not standard on iDrive 5. It's possible they will offer the option as an add-in later but I assume there will be a charge for it if they do.
Carplay requires either FSC loaded and 6CP coded to vehicle or provisioning through ConnectedDrive.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 08:29 AM   #10
ctdw
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
You can already do that with 6NS. With Carplay, you do not get to use steering wheel controls or save functions to hotkeys.
I have not used the non-CarPlay interface too much in my car but I don't remember seeing the same capabilities for example with Apple Music (viewing music suggested for me, browsing the "Apple Music" service vs. just listening to music I have pre-loaded on my iPhone).

I am able to move through tracks, adjust volume and initiate Siri from my wheel. It sounds like there is additional steering wheel functionality with the non-CarPlay interface?

I did notice you can't hotkey to specific CarPlay functions.

Quote:
Carplay requires either FSC loaded and 6CP coded to vehicle or provisioning through ConnectedDrive.
Can you elaborate for the other posters here that were interested in adding this after the fact? Does this mean it can be added later and are there costs associated with it?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 12:38 PM   #11
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
I have not used the non-CarPlay interface too much in my car but I don't remember seeing the same capabilities for example with Apple Music (viewing music suggested for me, browsing the "Apple Music" service vs. just listening to music I have pre-loaded on my iPhone).

I am able to move through tracks, adjust volume and initiate Siri from my wheel. It sounds like there is additional steering wheel functionality with the non-CarPlay interface?

I did notice you can't hotkey to specific CarPlay functions.

Can you elaborate for the other posters here that were interested in adding this after the fact? Does this mean it can be added later and are there costs associated with it?
I have over 10TB of music, so that would not fit on my phone. I never stream music over BT, with the best quality is using flac audio files and usb drive. I also have never owned any Apple products, so not the best person to describe the differences.

Yes. You can use voice commands to pull up albums as well as search through collection using HUD or dash.

There is not much more to say, but yes, there are costs associated with FSC codes.
Appreciate 0