BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-18-2012, 02:41 AM   #1
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 35d MSport & 135i

What's the difference between Electronic Damper Control and Performance Control

Just looking at the UK stats ...

I thought all cars have Performance Control (2VG), but actually only 43% of cars appear to.

Electronic Damper Control, which I thought was called Variable Damper Control (223) as I understand it allows you to change between Normal and Sports Suspension. I am trying to understand if VDC has any dynamic or adaptive qualities compared to the non 223 option, and what effect that actually has on ride quality.

Would you notice you have VDC if you never used the rocker switch to change to Sport or Sport+.

I have read many of the posts on VDC and I still am not 100%!

What's Performance Control?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 02:49 AM   #2
ReturnZero
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i M-Sport

I think performance control comes with the dynamic handling package or the m sport package, but if you don't get either of those you don't get it. The performance control moves the power bias rearward so it feels more like a RWD vehicle. So basically nothing to do with ride quality.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 04:17 AM   #3
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Dynamic Damping Control is always in effect if you have that option. It is not the difference between Sport and Normal, it's the car constantly tweaking the damping coefficient to produce the ride selected -- Sport or Normal -- more effectively than a suspension without that ongoing tweaking. For example, the front wheel hits a pot hole, so the system anticipates by adjusting the setting of the rear wheel to accommodate the pot hole and produce a better ride (whether that's a firmer Sport ride or a more compliant Normal ride).

Dynamic Damping Control from BMW

Press the Driving Experience Control button next to the gear select lever and change from COMFORT to SPORT, or even to SPORT+. The engine responds more spontaneously, the eight-speed automatic transmission Steptronic lets the rpm go higher before each fast and precise gear shift. The suspension becomes stiffer and sportier.

Dynamic Damping Control uses data collected by sensors throughout the BMX X3: each second, it gathers thousands of readings about the position of the steering wheel, the strength of lateral forces, wheel rotation speeds and much more. The system calculates the best possible setting for each individual wheel and continually adjusts its suspension accordingly. The BMW X3 hugs the road through tight bends and still provides a comfortable, safe ride for all occupants.

Dynamic Driving Control is an option available with Dynamic Damping Control, with eight-speed automatic transmission Steptronic, or with variable Sports steering.
      05-18-2012, 04:19 AM   #4
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Performance Control from BMW

In modern automobiles, the wheels on an axle are connected by a differential – a special gear that adjusts for this difference in length. BMW Performance Control takes this individual control a step further by changing engine output and if necessary applying braking force: the outer wheels get greater drive power, the inner less, and all four can engage with maximum traction. The BMW X3 literally drives into the curve, for an even greater sense of dynamic driving and excelling stability.
      05-18-2012, 04:55 AM   #5
Yeltzer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F25 xDrive 20d M Sport

My head hurts!
      05-18-2012, 05:05 AM   #6
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post

In modern automobiles, the wheels on an axle are connected by a differential – a special gear that adjusts for this difference in length. BMW Performance Control takes this individual control a step further by changing engine output and if necessary applying braking force: the outer wheels get greater drive power, the inner less, and all four can engage with maximum traction. The BMW X3 literally drives into the curve, for an even greater sense of dynamic driving and excelling stability.
For me, the effect of this has been most apparent when really getting on it on the way out of a decent curve. It produces an interesting "locked on" feeling. The track is nicely controlled, the back end feels planted, and it feels like you have the option to deliver whatever power you want. Fun.
      05-18-2012, 06:53 AM   #7
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post

Is this analogous to Torque Vectoring which was marketed as a feature on the X6?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 07:21 AM   #8
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerface View Post
Is this analogous to Torque Vectoring which was marketed as a feature on the X6?
Yes it is a form of torque vectoring, a big step forward in getting power down with improved stability.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 12:13 PM   #9
NYX335i
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Not exactly torque vectoring...

The X3 system just uses brake to negate the torque on the inner real wheel.

The X6 system is more advanced, and it actually varies torque between the rear wheels.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 04:40 PM   #10
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Not exactly torque vectoring...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYX335i View Post
The X3 system just uses brake to negate the torque on the inner real wheel.

The X6 system is more advanced, and it actually varies torque between the rear wheels.
You are correct... I was having a senior moment. Must have been half asleep when writing what I did. The X3 doesn't have torque vectoring ability. It is an advancement, but more brake wear.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 06:30 PM   #11
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Torque vectoring also is a bogus term. The effect is the same between the two, the difference is the braking solution bleeds of more power than the one that alters the power delivered to the individual wheel. It's not a complete either/or here, though. This system modifies power delivered front/back, but individual wheel differentiation is done by braking. It still works well and is noticeably different than not having it.
      05-19-2012, 11:44 AM   #12
kingbadger
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 3.0D MSport

Adaptive damping is, IMHO, one of the most impressive options you can have. It allows you to have a limo-like gliding along feel ( when the wife or kids are with you) or a firm sporty ride when you are on your own! It works with the computer to vary ride while the computer also (in sport) doesn't change up as soon, makes the engine more responsive to the throttle and alters the steering rates. But without adaptive damping, nothing can change the ride quality.

I' taking many liberties with accuracy here, but you can think of regular dampers as being like a doctors syringe full of oil. It takes effort to squirt out the oil because you have to force it out through a small hole. There is a spring around the syringe to push the plunger back out.

On a car a one way valve allows the oil to be sucked back in very quickly ( through a large hole) as the spring pushes the wheel down/car up after being squashed. It stops whole car bouncing up and down on the springs multiple times (think simple harmonic motion in school physics class!)

Adaptive damping electronically varies the size of the hole very fast based on information from the car's various sensors and your chosen setting. Sport will use smaller apertures and give a firm ride, normal gives bigger apertures and a softer ride. It's a neat system, quite inexpensive (for BMW) since its code plus more expensive dampers. Fully "active suspension" is much more expensive and complex - and more likely to fail as a result. Computer controlled hydraulic pumps at each wheel etc.
      09-24-2012, 02:05 PM   #13
toneus
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive40d SE (on order)

Reading the brochure and talking to the BMW sales staff, all X3s have Drive Performance Control, with Comfort & Sport Settings, but this only controls the engine response and does nothing for the suspension. The Variable Damping Control allows control over the shock absorbers for improved performance & smoother ride depending on the setting, and also adds a Sport+ mode.

Apparently.
      09-24-2012, 02:39 PM   #14
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneus View Post
Reading the brochure and talking to the BMW sales staff, all X3s have Drive Performance Control, with Comfort & Sport Settings, but this only controls the engine response and does nothing for the suspension. The Variable Damping Control allows control over the shock absorbers for improved performance & smoother ride depending on the setting, and also adds a Sport+ mode.

Apparently.
There is a lot of confusion about the names of the options but I'm pretty sure there is no "comfort" mode in any X3. There is "Normal" on X3s with VDC which will be more comfortable than driving round in "Sport". Also "performance control" isn't standard for all X3s, it's a cost option S02VG on the 20d SE. S02VG is as described by Nahoa above (power to each wheel being adjusted). It's nothing to do with Sport/Sport+ and the reason I know that is that I have S02VG performance control and have no Sport/Sport+ switch.

VDC X3s have different shocks that change the viscosity of a liquid by using electric charge so the car can automatically make 1000s of quick adjustments to smooth out the road. They also mean you can change the default and make the suspension firmer (Sport). There is no Sport+ setting for the suspension. Sport+ is just Sport with DTC switched off

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 03:30 PM   #15
toneus
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive40d SE (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
There is a lot of confusion about the names of the options but I'm pretty sure there is no "comfort" mode in any X3. There is "Normal" on X3s with VDC which will be more comfortable than driving round in "Sport". Also "performance control" isn't standard for all X3s, it's a cost option S02VG on the 20d SE. S02VG is as described by Nahoa above (power to each wheel being adjusted). It's nothing to do with Sport/Sport+ and the reason I know that is that I have S02VG performance control and have no Sport/Sport+ switch.

VDC X3s have different shocks that change the viscosity of a liquid by using electric charge so the car can automatically make 1000s of quick adjustments to smooth out the road. They also mean you can change the default and make the suspension firmer (Sport). There is no Sport+ setting for the suspension. Sport+ is just Sport with DTC switched off
I don't think BMW have made a good job of making this clear and maybe they've made a mistake judging by what you've said.

According to the brochure it says Drive Performance Control is a standard option and says:

Drive Performance Control including ECO PRO mode, enables you to switch between the Comfort, Sport and Sport+ modes at the touch of a button. Sport+ mode only available in conjunction with the Sport automatic transmission or Variable Damper Control.

Comes with a picture as well, which says "Sport" & "Eco Pro" over the selector switch - like you say no mention of comfort. From my test drive I thought it said "Normal" as you said (but I've been asleep since then).

And now I'm really confused, because in the Price List it says "Drive Performance Control" is standard across the range, but "Performance Control" - Option 2VG is standard on the M Sport but a £125 option on the SE.
      09-24-2012, 04:00 PM   #16
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

Performance Control is rear wheel drive vectoring using the rear breaks
Driving Experience Control is the rocker switch on the console.
      09-24-2012, 04:03 PM   #17
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

I can explain it with some maths....

Drive Performance Control != Performance Control
Drive Performance Control = Dynamic Drive Control
Drive Performance Control = Normal/Sport/Sport+ switch
Drive Performance Control ⊂ VDC

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 04:47 PM   #18
JimmyTheHand
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
I'm pretty sure there is no "comfort" mode in any X3.
In mine (built July) a fairly standard SE, there is a switch to change modes (can't remember what standard option it is) - available modes are Eco Pro, Comfort (which it starts in) and Sport.

The big problem I have with it - who thought it clever to have the traction control button directly in front of mode switch - several times I have hit it instead of putting into faster responding mode
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 12:31 AM   #19
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyTheHand View Post
In mine (built July) a fairly standard SE, there is a switch to change modes (can't remember what standard option it is) - available modes are Eco Pro, Comfort (which it starts in) and Sport.

The big problem I have with it - who thought it clever to have the traction control button directly in front of mode switch - several times I have hit it instead of putting into faster responding mode
I stand corrected. Options have moved on since I shopped for an X3. And yes, that sounds like poor design. They should make the buttons different shapes, ot make one ribbed

Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 07:14 AM   #20
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

I use to disable traction control too when reaching for sport mode then I noticed the sport switch was in direct alignment with the auto shifter lever...it just takes a bit of time to get use to the placement.
      09-25-2012, 08:48 AM   #21
slyfox
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X3-20d (2013)

Quote:
I can explain it with some maths....

Drive Performance Control != Performance Control
Drive Performance Control = Dynamic Drive Control
Drive Performance Control = Normal/Sport/Sport+ switch