BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-16-2011, 12:22 PM   #1
Cupcake
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i M-Sport

HUD quit working today.

I has a new windshield installed last night at my local BMW dealer. Everything worked great on my 2 hour drive home last night even HUD. However I started my drive to work this afternoon and realized my HUD was so dim that I could not see it with or without sunglasses on. Brightness was set on the max. Called my service advisor and I was told that rain sensor and HUD are unrelated, as I was thinking maybe there was a light sensor combined with rain sensor and maybe that was faulty. Pretty frustrated as my car is not even 2 months old yet. Has this happened to anyone else?

Last edited by Cupcake; 09-16-2011 at 07:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 12:30 PM   #2
richardchou
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i M Sport - White

HUD requires special windshields. Are you sure they didn't put a regular windshield on? That should be the first thing to check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
I has a new windshield installed last night at my local BMW dealer. Everything worked great on my 2 hour drive home last night even HUD. However I started my drive to work this afternoon and realized my HUD was so dim that I could by see it with or without sunglasses on. Brightness was set on the max. Called my service advisor and I was told that rain sensor and HUD are unrelated, as I was thinking maybe there was a light sensor combined with rain sensor and maybe that was faulty. Pretty frustrated as my car is not even 2 months old yet. Has this happened to anyone else?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 03:01 PM   #3
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardchou View Post
HUD requires special windshields. Are you sure they didn't put a regular windshield on? That should be the first thing to check.
+1 BMW installs a special windshield for HUD, made to greatly increase the reflectivity of the images. It sounds suspiciously like your dealer did not install the correct windshield.

Your servcie department is probably equipped with HUA (heads up ass), because if they ran your VIN like they should before ordering or installing any parts, they would have caught this.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 04:49 PM   #4
Cupcake
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i M-Sport

Thanks for the responses so far! Heres an update from my service advisor. Its the right windshield, however, after installing the new windshield, a service technican has to reprogram the HUD. HUD will work at night and if it's cloudy until I can get back to the dealer. (2 hrs away) I was told no one knew this, so for anyone getting a new windshield make sure try do this! On the old x5s you can do it on idrive, but not on the x3s.... Sh*t
Appreciate 0