BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-13-2011, 09:20 AM   #1
richardew
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 x335i

Drivetrain - sport mode with gearshift vs sport mode with the DHP switch

I can change the throttle response by moving the gearshift to sport or I can change it using the DHP switch. I don't see any difference. What I've ended up doing is programing the DHP switch to chassis only and then using the gear selector to select drivetrain sport or normal. Am I missing something?

'96 911 C4 Cab (276,000 1 owner smiles)
'11 X3 35i Black Sapphire/Beige,SAP, CP, CWP, DHP, PREM, TECH, Sat radio, Hi Fi, BMW apps, smartphone, 19" w/mixed performance tires.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 04:37 PM   #2
caz681
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 Xdrive35i

That's what I did, too.

After some testing, I concluded that there was no difference in transmission behavior between the default DHP Sport mode and putting the gear selector into Sport mode while DHP is set to Normal. So, it makes sense to me to have the DHP Sport mode set to Chassis Only, because then you have the option of putting the chassis and the transmission into their respective Sport modes separately.

In DHP Sport+ mode, I judged that the behavior of the transmission and chassis are the same as their Sport modes outside of DHP Sport+, but DHP Sport+ activates Dynamic Traction Control and increases throttle sensitivity.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 06:33 PM   #3
utcadman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

Garage List
The only difference is that if you shift manually and use the switch it will not hold the gear after a specific amount of time with no other manual input it will go into auto D. If you use the shifter and just move it to the left to put it in sport mode and then manually change the gear the gear will hold until it is changed...it will stay in manual mode.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 07:57 PM   #4
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardew View Post
I can change the throttle response by moving the gearshift to sport or I can change it using the DHP switch. I don't see any difference. What I've ended up doing is programing the DHP switch to chassis only and then using the gear selector to select drivetrain sport or normal. Am I missing something?
Yes. You are missing the fact that Drivetrain mode in SPORT (and by default SPORT+) changes shift response, too. D, DS, and M in NORMAL are not the same as D, DS, and M in SPORT/SPORT+ unless you have SPORT set to Chassis only.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 07:59 PM   #5
greg2step
X3 Owner/Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
Its what I did - sport mode switch on chasis only - and use the shifter for sport mode. for me, i want to use sport mode chasis a lot more than sport mode transmission, so this is ideal.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 01:27 AM   #6
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg2step View Post
Its what I did - sport mode switch on chasis only - and use the shifter for sport mode. for me, i want to use sport mode chasis a lot more than sport mode transmission, so this is ideal.
You know you can do both though, right?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 12:18 PM   #7
caz681
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 Xdrive35i

I evaluated the transmission's performance in a variety of conditions, using the following two settings: 1) setting DHP to Sport (Chassis & Drivetrain), and 2) setting DHP to Normal (or Sport, Chassis Only) and putting the transmission into Drive Sport by moving the selector to the left. I could discern no difference in transmission behavior when operating in automatic mode.
Appreciate 0