BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-25-2011, 08:07 PM   #1
greg2step
X3 Owner/Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
My blue X3 after 12 days

I picked up my Deep Sea Blue X3 35i on Sept 13th. So far I love it. My list of things I love about it is long, and the list of complaints is short and minor.

Decision to get the X3 over the Q5 and others in the class was definitely the right call for so many reasons. not sure when/how along the line in my research I went from a 28i to a 35i - but I am glad I did, its a lot of fun. I am very content w/ the features I have - sport package is a must - although I admit it took some time to find my spot in the seats. I can't really tell what DHP is doing for me, but i really like the handling. I will say this - driving in sport mode = chassis only is the norm for me. I don't need sport transmission - the turbocharger more than meets my needs (for those of you in a 28i, I can see using sport mode transmission more - like I did in my old 328) The few times i want sport mode i use the shift lever- debate on whether or not its the same thing, i don't really care.

So far I've had a highway road trip to Philadelphia, 2 days of driving in heavy rain, and a dark and windy road home tonight. My X3 is fun to drive - about as fun as an SUV an be. While I admit it doesn't handle like my 328 did, its much more versatile. It comfortably seats 4 and holds more cargo - and with my 18" wheels, the potholes that were killing my 328 barely bump my X3. There is one pothole laden road not paved in decades I have to drive to get to work - i turn off sport mode there.

Highway ride is nice and smooth, steering feels solid, although a bit looser than the 328 - was expecting that. sport mode and dhp package steering features make it good enough. definitely tighter steering, better cornering and faster than just about any SUV I've driven. In the rain, its very capable and stable definitely able to do the speed limit on the highway in heavy rain and hold the road like a dry day. we'll see if Maryland winter lets me see how it is in the snow this winter.

The X3 doesn't quite handle like my 328xi did, but the N55 engine makes it faster and more fun to drive. I think i would have fun in a 28i, not as much as my 35i though. definitely handles better than any other SUV I've driven - can't say I've really driven an X5 new or old.

I really am having fun with the tech package. the whole idrive interface to control audio, phone, vehicle settings and nav is cool -it has come along way. The rear and top view cameras are great too. I really like convenience key once i figured out how to lock/unlock by touching drivers side door - and how to turn everything off after turning off the X3 - hit the power button again w/ foot OFF the brake (if its on the brake it restarts). can take or leave the power rear door, really indifferent. premium sound is awesome - I really like how it sounds. Also really like the Xenon headlights, never had them before.

Overall I'm happy with how I ordered my X3 - First time I've ordered a car vs buying 1 on the lot. probably added more and compromised less, but I have a nicer ride for it. very happy w/ the color choices - Deep Sea Blue, Mojave, Alum brush trim is a stunning combo - i hope more of you order that combo - not too many of you though My X3 is beautiful, and no color choice appeals to me more. I could definitely be happy w/ bronze, mineral silver or space grey if DSB wasn't an option. I'm glad i did the 2011 - neither change to sport package (19" wheels or anthracite headliner) appeal to me compared to the specs of my 2011. Besides i saved a 2012 slot for one of you all. I ordered 6 packages and wouldn't scrap any of them

List of complaints are very minor, and all center around user interface - first the on board hard drive only playing songs alphabetically see other thread. Also, sport mode - wish it could be default - and not prompt me to config every time i turn it on, which is almost every time I drive. Other than that, the ability to name descriptions on presets would be nice - on FM the stations broadcasting in HD look very different than those that aren't. Satellite isn't an issue with that.

So far the only add on is I had them get me a set of rubber floor mats at delivery - i guess i'll keep the carpeted mats in my garage for something later. At some point i may want to get the base rails for the roof rack. The trailer hitch looks cool, hope I don't ever need one though. Trailer hitches are for u hauls and I hate moving

Last thing, big shout out to my 2008 328xi e91 sportwagon for holding value a lot better than any car i owned prior - it really was the clincher on my decision to get another BMW. Its sitting on the lot where I traded it in offered as CPO for 30% more than they gave me on trade in. the X3 is more for me, the 3 series was just a little small. Its nice to be able to seat 4 comfortably. When i bought the 328, i considered the X3, just wasn't feeling it - but at that point the F25 was just rumored - and it looked hot then.

I really enjoy reading this forum - its cool to interact w/ people around the world also driving X3's. I used the e90 forum on here a little, and VWvortex back when I had a B5.5 Passat. Definitely one of the more useful features of the Internet. This seems more fun though, I think its because the F25 X3 is still kind of new, and there's new buyer's finding their way here every day.

For all of you waiting on X3's - hope your first 2 weeks are this enjoyable. gotta take mine to the dealer this week...for a car wash and to anyone who is shopping the X3, get it you will love it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-25-2011, 08:25 PM   #2
fedinand
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3, '11 GTI

Congrats! Looks great!
      09-25-2011, 08:30 PM   #3
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

Hey Greg,

Thanks for the detailed update. It's great that you love the car and have no regrets on the options. You're making me nervous about my upcoming 19" tires and anthracite headliner and I agree that the car should remember your DHP settings.

Car looks great, but you should have gone with mineral silver.
      09-26-2011, 12:41 AM   #4
Penso di no
lapsed
Rep
Drives: Yes

Congrats! Very similar to the spec I'm considering.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 01:05 PM   #5
ivanoski
F25 X3 2.0 Diesel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW x3 20d 8SpdAUTO BLACK

Congratulations

I completely agree with you in that the X3 is FUN to drive. Glad to see that
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 01:06 PM   #6
greg2step
X3 Owner/Driver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
one more thing, I love the way the N55 engine sounds
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 01:10 PM   #7
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg2step View Post
one more thing, I love the way the N55 engine sounds
That's what made me change my mind about the 28i and upgrade.
      09-27-2011, 09:42 PM   #8
Botwin
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 WRX Limited

G2S - Could you post some pictures of your interior?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 10:02 PM   #9
greg2step
X3 Owner/Driver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Here you go - I promise you won't go wrong w/ DSB+Mojave
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 10:05 PM   #10
greg2step
X3 Owner/Driver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I think the picture of the gearshift where you can see the front corners of the front seats shows the color best - the 2 pictures of the front and rear seem to be a little lighter than reality due to flash on my $100 camera. Mojave is a greyish/brownish almost chocolate milk color, its really pretty - the light stitching (its definately not white) makes it look even better.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 10:10 PM   #11
greg2step
X3 Owner/Driver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showpo...21&postcount=8

try this whole DSB thread in the pict/vid board - but i shortcutted right to Jason's 35i post - same specs as mine except the wheels. his front seat pict shows the color very well imho. There's some beige interiors to contrast. you better post picts of yours in that thread in a month or so
Appreciate 0