BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-10-2012, 06:41 AM   #1
djtriggz
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2005

Speaker question!

Okay so just picked up a 2005 X3 and want to upgrade the sound, spoke to the dealer on the phone apparently I have the standard speaker set up and no upgrade options available

Will be purchasing the BSW stage 1 upgrade but I have a few questions .

Can the UK X3 actually hold the 8 speakers provided by BSW? I have reduced the bass and turned up the treble and I can tell there are no rear tweets but BSW tell me most x3s don't I'm just wondering if the holes actually there for them as the rear speaker grille is much smaller than the front.

The USA spec x3 speak of underseat 8inchers mine does not have this and I don't think the holes are there is this true??

Are the speakers hooked up to amp or straight to the head unit? And If amped can I just buy the Harman Becker amp from the premium sound model on ebay and fit it plug and play and get more power??

Thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 01:16 AM   #2
x3oiler
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3 3.0 Diesel

"Can the UK X3 actually hold the 8 speakers provided by BSW? "
Not sure, I upgraded to Alpine SPS410's (coaxial) in all four doors. The stock speakers in mine were Philips single cone cheapies - quite horrible really.

"The USA spec x3 speak of underseat 8inchers mine does not have this and I don't think the holes are there is this true??"
Do you have any black perforated grills under the driver and passenger seats?
Aussies spec were 6 inchers in an 8 inch frame. I replaced these with earth quake 4 ohm 8 inchers driven from a separate amp. If you source the 2ohm earthquakes you may not need an amp.

"Are the speakers hooked up to amp or straight to the head unit? And If amped can I just buy the Harman Becker amp from the premium sound model on ebay and fit it plug and play and get more power??"
I believe you may have no separate AMP - the existing speakers will be driven from the head unit.

btw I needed an amp though to run the 4ohm earthquakes. The same AMP drives the front SPS410's with approx 400Hz crossover to the underseat subs The rears are running as background only (low volume - if you do what I did do not even bother to upgrade the rear doors). The connection from head unit to amp is via an Alpine 650 equaliser - takes the front speaker outputs and frequency and time delay equalises for the front door and underseat subs for the driver position (or passenger - it is selectable) The result - think of headphones with punch :-)
      01-30-2013, 07:22 AM   #3
djtriggz
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2005

Went for the BSW upgrade

My car didnt even have tweeters in it!! just 4 speakers and 2 subs now i have 10 speaker set up but the subs are almost non existent will definately upgrade them to the earthquakes soon!

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 09:27 AM   #4
romanonj
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 DCT

I did same exact thing with my X3.. I would suggest upgrading your amp first, which is in the trunk behind driver (probably passenger side in your case) side trim panel. Stock midbasses sound pretty good with more power, I have upgraded to SWS that bolte in perfectly with no spacers required in X3, and the sound is only slightly better than stock. My guess would be due to X3 being sealed enclosure. I had these subs in my e90 and the sound was much deeper and pronounced.

BSW speakers sound much happier with a little more punch. I upgraded to 6 channel JLAudio XD600/6 amp and used Technics wiring harness (no wire cutting).
2011 e92 335is 2007 X3 122k miles 2006 e90 330i 132k miles
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 09:28 AM   #5
romanonj
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 DCT

Dynamat those door panels!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djtriggz View Post
Went for the BSW upgrade

My car didnt even have tweeters in it!! just 4 speakers and 2 subs now i have 10 speaker set up but the subs are almost non existent will definately upgrade them to the earthquakes soon!

2011 e92 335is 2007 X3 122k miles 2006 e90 330i 132k miles
Appreciate 0