BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-27-2011, 11:14 PM   #23
xenonf30
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW F30 335i

The only options you need are as follows:

Pano moonroof-once you've owned a moonroof its very hard to go back to one without. And it's basically two moonroofs with the other for the back passengers. Allows lots of natural light into the car.

Xenons-no explanations needed. And to add further....the LED's DRL Halo's are eye catching and you'll get plenty of head turns from those as an added bonus.

Sport Activity Package- sports seats, thicker sports steering wheel and the X-Line which sports up your X3. Most I've seen out so far have been non X-Line and they look less expensive than the ones with the X-Line.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 11:26 PM   #24
MA78
TK-421
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlgirl View Post
... you'll love this (hip) mommy-mobile!
First time ANY car I've owned has been referred to as a "mommy-mobile". I'm considering trading it in and it's only 7 weeks old.

I'm crushed. Think I'll go curl up in a corner somewhere and hope my voice doesn't go up half an octave.
Nah, we all know the X5 is the mommy mobile. :P
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 04:41 AM   #25
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Quote:
First time ANY car I've owned has been referred to as a "mommy-mobile". I'm considering trading it in and it's only 7 weeks old.

I'm crushed. Think I'll go curl up in a corner somewhere and hope my voice doesn't go up half an octave.
I instantly translated "mommy-mobile" into, "dog and bike carrier with bad weather and a rough road capability". Automatic ego management.
      03-28-2011, 08:27 AM   #26
Hawkshaw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive28i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuco44 View Post
I think the "must haves" very much depend on who you are, how you drive, what you will be using the vehicle for mainly, and how performance-oriented you are. I don't think I could advise someone else as to what is a "must-have" as my "wants" may be totally different.
      03-28-2011, 08:44 AM   #27
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuco44 View Post
I think the "must haves" very much depend on who you are, how you drive, what you will be using the vehicle for mainly, and how performance-oriented you are. I don't think I could advise someone else as to what is a "must-have" as my "wants" may be totally different.
This is completely true and I couldn't agree more .....

..... except for xenons!!!

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 09:45 AM   #28
Upgrade15
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 White X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkshaw View Post

I'm not looking for advice, that's why I asked what your must haves are...not, 'what do you think mine should be?' I am curious to see what the different options are that people can't live without. I think we are getting down to semantics here and really, couldn't you say your thoughts might be different than someone elses about every question on the board?

Last edited by Upgrade15; 03-28-2011 at 09:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 10:05 AM   #29
TarHeelFan
Private
Rep

After over 2,000 miles of driving, I say the must haves are Park Distance Control (at the least, and cameras would be even better); Navigation (much nicer than an external device), Premium Hi-Fi (Music is my life) and Dynamic Handling Package.

Having said that, I have quite the fully loaded car: 35i w/Technology Package, Convenience Package, Sport Package, Dynamic Handling Package, Cold Weather Package, Premium Package, Heads-Up Display, Satellite Radio, Premium Hi-Fi, Smartphone Integration.

I knew I wanted this car a year ahead of time and BUDGETED for it in order to have these items. The items I did not get are items I KNOW are things I wouldn't need. Yes, a lot of the items I did get may go unused but I can safely read these blogs and not say "Darn! Why didn't I get that?" (There are quite a few posters who asked what to get and ordered based on votes from this forum...and then after placing the order see another posting about a "must have" and regret not getting it.) Again, funding should sort of be the first requirement to determine what to get
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 07:26 AM   #30
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:

its only a mummy mobile if its Red in color...ooops:-) On a serious note, i don't seem to hear anyone mentioning Electric seats as a must, they are a pretty expensive option.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 07:54 AM   #31
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by inamik75 View Post
its only a mummy mobile if its Red in color...ooops:-) On a serious note, i don't seem to hear anyone mentioning Electric seats as a must, they are a pretty expensive option.
They're a must if you have a partner who will be driving it and changing the seat position every time she gets in. And both mirrors. It's so much better now than it was with our old car which had no memory seats/mirrors

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 09:22 AM   #32
jsublime
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW X3 28i  [0.00]
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Necessary - xenon.
Want - everything else.
      04-13-2011, 06:32 AM   #33
corliss
Registered
Rep

I don't think I've seen anybody mention the lumbar support. I've got a bad back and it's absolutely worth the extra cost!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 09:59 AM   #34
iFroze
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 35i

All of these answers are subjective. Someone likes the mechanics of the engine, someone lives in a cold climate (heated seats), someone drives more in the city, someone more on freeways and prefers different driving qualities (DHP), someone is very much into the music, someone has a back problem (lumbar support)… Personally I love gadgets and techie things. I would never be without upgraded display with Navigation system and the latest iPhone integration because this is what makes me giggle.

I have ordered 35i and even though I love all these extra options (which I could afford), I decided to be selective and not to take everything that is on the list. So, I decided to get everything except a Sport package, Dynamic Comfort package, different wheel size, nor HUD.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 11:15 AM   #35
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sblove View Post
In my opinion, must-haves are:

- Sport seats
I was thinking about ordering them, though they come as part of the package only, and they force you to upgrade to 19 inch wheels as part of it, which I don't want (I prefer 18's) b/c better chance of wife scratching up rims on curbs, rims getting bent on potholes, and 19 inch tires cost more than 18's. Other than looks, which are incrementally small from an 18, I can't see a good reason to go 19.

What are your thougths on the above?

Can you get sport seats without the 19's now?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 01:12 PM   #36
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Xenons
Sport Seats
Pro Nav
Panoramic Sunroof
Xline Package on black paintwork

In that order

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 01:56 PM   #37
jijioben
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 F25 X3 35i

The most important thing for me was the driving experience. I had a great time in a basic 28i as well as a loaded 35i. In the end, I bought the loaded 35i because I liked the treats. All models of the X3 though offer a superior driving experience, so if I had not been able to afford the extras I would have been still OK with the purchase. My 2c of course.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 02:23 PM   #38
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsAdams2007 View Post
The car is for me. My husband will drive it occasionally, but it's mine. I do have a toddler and a dog that will be with me
most of the time, so those are factors in some of the must haves. I just wasn't certain if there were any options that you couldn't live without...like for me, heated seats are a must! Just curious and wanted to see if there were many repeats.
Okay, so you're a lady who is interested in buying an X3, and it's your first BMW.... usually I avoid threads that ask "what's best" for the reaons others have posted - but I think I can offer a little advice that might be of some value.

My wife and I have owned 4 BMWs so far (also shopping the X3 which will be our fifth). Some are her primary and some are my primary, but we try to buy them so that we are both happy with them. We currently have a 3 Series sedan (my primary) and an X5 (her primary). Apart from size and other little things, the X5 and X3 are the same type vehicle, so I can tell you what my wife likes most about it, and what she doesn't really care about, etc.

-Comfort access: you don't have to fish for your keys to open or lock the car. Convinient for us all, but women tend to have more in their hands most of the time. She likes this a lot.
-Heated seats: unless you live in the south, you'll want this.
-Premium Package: this is the "must have". In our opinion all BMWs are baselined with this package. It includes the garage door opener, BMW Assist, Bluetooth, folding mirrors, etc.
-Sports package: most women couldn't care less. Nicer wheels, thicker steering wheel, stiffer suspension, sport seats. For me it is a must have but my wife can take it or leave it. She does like the sports seats better than the regular, but she'd live without them.
-Navigation: initially she didn't care about such tech things, but just recently she remarked "once you have navigation you'll never want a car without it".
-Power tailgate: A big yes. I like it, but my wife loves it.
-Premium sound: No way. I love it, but most women couldn't care less.
-Cold weather package is good if you want the heated rear seats (kids or other frequent passengers would appreciate it). Heated front seats mentioned above can be had separately, as can the heated steering wheel. Just getting those two as stand alone options is much cheaper than the package if you don't want the heated rears. The headlight washers are fine if they are free, but I don't think they add "need them" value.
-Satelite radio (Sirus): my wife loves it. She'd be pissed if that went away.

Hope that helps some. Good luck with your choices.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 02:26 PM   #39
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
-Sports package: most women couldn't care less. Nicer wheels, thicker steering wheel, stiffer suspension, sport seats. For me it is a must have but my wife can take it or leave it. She does like the sports seats better than the regular, but she'd live without them.

You sure the X3 has a different suspension with the sport pkg? From reading the brochure, I don't think so, as I didn't see it in there.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 02:45 PM   #40
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
You sure the X3 has a different suspension with the sport pkg? From reading the brochure, I don't think so, as I didn't see it in there.
I believe it does. Because the M Sport package includes "Sports Suspension Delete", implying that ZSP would include it. M Pack removes it because it includes DDS.

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 08:55 PM   #41
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
I believe it does. Because the M Sport package includes "Sports Suspension Delete", implying that ZSP would include it. M Pack removes it because it includes DDS.
Hmmm... First of all, I should have mentioned that the Canadian cars sometimes have different options/packages than American ones, and in this case it seems that (as usual) you guys are lucky in that the 19's are a stand alone option and not part of the Sport Package.

Nonetheless, WRT the suspension, right on the BMW USA website it says for the "Sport Activity Package" option:

•Sports leather steering wheel with paddle shifters
•Sport automatic transmission with shift paddles
•X-Line exterior trim package
•Roof rails in Aluminum Satin
•Sport seats

Nothing about a sport suspension.

Even the M Sport Package says nothing about different suspension:

• 19" M light alloy double spoke wheels - style 369M with all-season run-flat tire
• High-gloss Roof Rails
• M Sports leather steering wheel with paddle shifters
• Performance Control
• Sport seats
• Aerodynamic kit
• Anthracite headliner
• Sport automatic transmission with shift paddles
• Shadowline exterior trim
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 04:57 PM   #42
azhar
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive28i

Actually, the same problem to me when I placed the order. Finally, my CA advised me to add options that I really need like heated seat, Navi, leather and roof.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 07:51 PM   #43
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by azhar View Post
Actually, the same problem to me when I placed the order. Finally, my CA advised me to add options that I really need like heated seat, Navi, leather and roof.
I agree - unless you live in Phoenix, a roof is a great thing to have on a vehicle.

Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 06:36 PM   #44
ManMachine
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E60 528

Your first BMW?

1. Lease or buy, and if buy, do you plan to keep it for a long time? If you plan to keep it for a long time, you'd better do a lot more research about BMW reliability, the woe with electronics, and the "free" maintenance program. Caveat emptor.

2. Short time ownership:
- load it up with the things that make your life easier, convenience, premium, tech, cold weather
- image: sport activity package
- if you care about driving dynamics and love taking fast corners (with kids or not), dynamic handling package. ZAP also helps with the nice beefy steering wheel. Get the turbo.

3. Long term ownership: get as few options as possible to avoid future headaches. Get tips from Mike Miller at Roundel about proper maintenance.