BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-22-2012, 01:26 PM   #23
MattUK
Captain Unsensible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 M240i Coupe - Estoril

Garage List
2016 BMW M240i  [0.00]
I would agree on the sound.. very much.. I loved my V10 for the 7 months I had it.. but the one thing I couldn't live with in the end was the fuel consumption.. at least with the new one you have some half decent figures.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 01:27 PM   #24
MattUK
Captain Unsensible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 M240i Coupe - Estoril

Garage List
2016 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by clivem2 View Post
It's interesting you use Sport+, I do too as I find the responses crisper; it's as though the traction control system isn't blunting my request for power.
Yes! Initially, I couldn't get a straight answer on what was turned off or on when in this mode, and until I was used to it on my regular roads I wasn't going to try it in case I ended up in a ditch, but now I love it.. not quite as much fun as the M3, but its not far off it, and when you consider what it is you're driving, its a different kind of fun, and the speed shines.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 09:50 AM   #25
TXBimmer
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 35i, Panamera Turbo

I just did what you are contemplating. I traded my E93 M3 for a 2013 X3 355i with M Sport Package. I needed a more practical car and wanted the best possible driving experience. My other car is a Porsche Panamera Turbo so the M3 was actually my "slow" car but I was using the Panamera as my "practical" car and that just didn't make any sense. I only considered the Cayenne S/GTS and the X3. I previously owned an X5 and with the impending change I didn't see any reason to consider the X5/X6. The Cayenne is great but I have a Panamera and the Cayenne feels so much bigger than the X3. My BMW dealer finally got a White M Sport which is exactly what I wanted and I snapped it up as soon as they got it. While obviously isn't an M3 its the closest you can get in an SUV. The size is just perfect, fits everything I need but still feels nimble. The only SUV I would take over this car is the X3 M if they ever bring it to market. The car feels fantastic especially in Sport and Sport +. The acceleration is comparable to a Panamera S/GTS, you would have to go Turbo to beat it. I would love to take that next step on the M scale and install the Hartge quad pipes (http://www.hartge.de/e/bmw_auspuff_6298.html) but I have not been able to find them in the US. Anyone have any ideas?

Anyway, bottom line is that I can highly recommend your switch based upon everything you have said and my recent experience.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 01:03 PM   #26
DiamondGCoupe
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 & 2015 M4

I haven't been able to pull the trigger on buying one. It's going to be tough to give up my M3 would really miss the power and DCT. Too bad it's not available as option in the X3/X5 M-Sport models.

Probably going to hold off getting a new car until Spring when my M3 is closer to 50,000 miles (at 40,054 now) likely for an M5/M6 (or 6-Series coupe if DCT is ever avail) though neither is practicle for daily driving. Too bad the Porsche Macan won't be available for another 15 months or so that would be my ideal size/make switch from the M3. Maybe it's time to focus on a relationship so I can just buy a fiancé/wife the SUV and use it when I wish, but still have the M3 around lol!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 01:06 AM   #27
StrykerX3M
Rep
Drives: X3 M package

I drove both X3 and X5 before I put down the order on my BMW
After driving the X3, X5 is just way too big and heavy to me
Don't get me wrong X5 is a nice car but it would make sense to get a X3 instead of X5 or even Cayenne GTS after M3 then upgrade to larger SUV in the future
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 11:25 AM   #28
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

This is a very interesting topic as I too will be making the change to either a 30d or 35d Msport. Having now had two test drives in a 30d Msport, the latter one being 2hrs I can now compare the two cars dynamically.

On UK B roads with plenty of hedges (where I live) I can travel faster in the X3 as I can see over the hedges and the limit point of vision is further away. The X3 is easier to poodle about in / more relaxing and doesn't ask to be spanked every time it's driven. It's a fantastic car to drive comfortably at road legal speeds but doesn't really put a smile on my face except when I look down on others

My only real issues are the awful steering - it offers no feel whatsover as to what the front tyres are doing and it's the same with the brakes. The brakes also seem to only slow the car when pressed very hard and there is no feel to them either.

Would I still change? Yes, as the X3 makes a lot of sense given the driving I do now involves my family much more and I do not have the time to drive the M3 'properly' on the road or track.

However I still prefer driving the M3 and will miss the noise, huge turn-in bite and excellent steering feel. I still get excited when starting the car from cold inside the garage and the loud warm-up sequence explodes into life!

I'm not too concerned with the lower quality interior of the X3 but the plastic lining of the boot door really takes the mickey!

The X3 in 6cyl diesel form is certainly a car I'm looking forward to own in the near future.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 10:03 PM   #29
midwest 340xi 6sp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Man View Post
This is a very interesting topic as I too will be making the change to either a 30d or 35d Msport. Having now had two test drives in a 30d Msport, the latter one being 2hrs I can now compare the two cars dynamically.

On UK B roads with plenty of hedges (where I live) I can travel faster in the X3 as I can see over the hedges and the limit point of vision is further away. The X3 is easier to poodle about in / more relaxing and doesn't ask to be spanked every time it's driven. It's a fantastic car to drive comfortably at road legal speeds but doesn't really put a smile on my face except when I look down on others

My only real issues are the awful steering - it offers no feel whatsover as to what the front tyres are doing and it's the same with the brakes. The brakes also seem to only slow the car when pressed very hard and there is no feel to them either.

Would I still change? Yes, as the X3 makes a lot of sense given the driving I do now involves my family much more and I do not have the time to drive the M3 'properly' on the road or track.

However I still prefer driving the M3 and will miss the noise, huge turn-in bite and excellent steering feel. I still get excited when starting the car from cold inside the garage and the loud warm-up sequence explodes into life!

I'm not too concerned with the lower quality interior of the X3 but the plastic lining of the boot door really takes the mickey!

The X3 in 6cyl diesel form is certainly a car I'm looking forward to own in the near future.
I agree - buy the X3 for it's own merits and what it does well...Cause what an M3 excels at is not what the X3 will do well
      09-25-2012, 07:48 PM   #30
terrytnt
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i M/DHP Carbon Black

X3M

Fascinating post and responses.

Here's my question: Will we ever see a X3M? Please, Please, Please...
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 12:10 AM   #31
DiamondGCoupe
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 & 2015 M4

Unbelievable. Last night I was rear-ended again while in a car wash. TWICE in less than a month. Conveniently this time around when the driver asked if she could just pay cash for the repairs, I gladly said yes, went in my car and provided her with an estimate hah!

Clearly, I'm back to thinking I need something bigger. Drive safe, there's no such thing as an "accident"!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 08:22 PM   #32
rondocap
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

I'm shocked how many people went from an m3 to an x3. My wife wants me to go from my 335i to an x3- so it's a common occurrence!

Definitely needs to be the 35i and sports package though.
Appreciate 0