BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-08-2020, 04:25 AM   #1
ColdCanada
Rep
Drives: 2005 BMW X3 AND 2011 BMW X3

Exclamation 2011-2017 BMW cup holder fix? (will send gif card for help)

Hello, someone please help me. I know this has been posted before but I can not find a definite fix with an active link. My cup holder fingers/prongs/plastic clips have went inside and will not come out. Whenever we put a drink in the cup holder it tips or spills. I heard about an aftermarket fix where you just clip on new ones. Ive heard you can use double sided foam tape for specific cups.

1)I was wondering what the issue is ( why this happens )\
2)The proper way to fix it?
3)Ebay / Amazon easy fix?
4)Dealership cost to fix?
5)DIY at home fixes?

With all these I would please like detailed instructions,
ANYONE who can help me solve this ASAP before our next long drive I will send you a gift card online or via mail.

I am SICK of my coffee spilling everyday !!!!!!

Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 07:18 AM   #2
najnad
General of the Space Forces
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 X3 35i M-sport

Garage List
I have the same issue with one of my cupholders and opened up the console to look at it. It is simply rubber bands that provide the tension to keep the prongs pushed out and rubber is prone to deteriorate over time. They should have spent the extra 5 cents and put in a metal spring.

As for fixes, the mechanism looked like a pain in the ass to take apart to get at the rubber bands. I figured if it ever bothered me enough I would just get a new one, or more likely the updated one from the LCI models.

Its not terribly difficult to take out and put back in...just somewhat finicky for the actual part going back in. New part is probably less than $100.
Current: 2020 X5 x40i M-Sport, Arctic Grey Metallic / Ivory White, Executive Package, Luggage Compartment Package, Integral Active Steering, Tow Package, Parking Assist Package, Driving Assist Package, M-Sport brakes, Tux Mats
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 07:12 AM   #3
ColdCanada
Rep
Drives: 2005 BMW X3 AND 2011 BMW X3

thank you
Appreciate 0