BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
View Poll Results: Alpine white with...
Beige 5 11.63%
Mojave 14 32.56%
Black 24 55.81%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

09-27-2011, 07:00 AM   #1
Flashy09
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 35i

Changed mind again

Apparently I should not order cars as the choice is overwhelming! I have always just bought whatever was in stock that had the packages I wanted.

Anyway, I am off Oyster now with the Alpine White (i think)

New choices are beige, mojave, or black.

Does the Mojave brown clash with the black interior?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 08:07 AM   #2
Rodion
First Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25)

Go with contrasting colors... White out, black in or vice versa.

Though I will go with Vermilion Red out and black in, because red and black go together.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 08:57 AM   #3
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashy09 View Post
Apparently I should not order cars as the choice is overwhelming! ...
With all due respect, I will never understand why anyone would order anything (a car interior color choice, wall paint, carpeting, furniture, etc., etc.) that THEY have to live with based on the taste and opinions of others. It's like trying to steer a ship by committee! When you order lunch in a restaurant do you ask the stranger at the next table what you should order?

It's your car, you have to live with it. What does it matter what a bunch of strangers on an Internet forum think? Certainly, perfect strangers may be able to make informed recommendations, but those are only their opinions and ultimately it's how the choice looks to YOU that matters.

Sorry if this offends any fashionistas on the Forum.

Whew! Glad I got that off my chest!
Now if you'd like my opinion on which mechanical option packages you absolutely MUST choose.... .
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 09:07 AM   #4
walendvay
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 F25 28i; '13 E84 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
With all due respect, I will never understand why anyone would order anything (a car interior color choice, wall paint, carpeting, furniture, etc., etc.) that THEY have to live with based on the taste and opinions of others. It's like trying to steer a ship by committee! When you order lunch in a restaurant do you ask the stranger at the next table what you should order?

It's your car, you have to live with it. What does it matter what a bunch of strangers on an Internet forum think? Certainly, perfect strangers may be able to make informed recommendations, but those are only their opinions and ultimately it's how the choice looks to YOU that matters.

Now if you'd like my opinion on which mechanical option packages you absolutely MUST choose.... .
I can totally see the point of asking opinions.....

Here are some reasons to solicit:

- what if you are color blind?
- what interior colors hold up? Does oyster get jeans stains? Does aluminum get streaks
- what colors would the mass like as it may help with resale
- many people, myself included, may have a hard time visualizing what the car would look like with a given combination
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 09:26 AM   #5
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

I think a light interior with AW looks fine in a sunny climate. Where there is less sun (eg where I live) then a contrasting colour looks better as pale on pale looks washed out.

My personal view is that black is boring (but practical), it's great that so many colours are available now though choice can make it difficult! BTW the traditional leather colours were red and tan (indivicually, not together!). Black's a much more recent thing.
      09-27-2011, 10:05 AM   #6
jacb1301
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35d AW-Tobacco

Mojave

It's an absolutely interior choice that looks great with just about every exterior in my opinion. Personally would match it with white, black or Space Gray.

Quote:
Apparently I should not order cars as the choice is overwhelming! I have always just bought whatever was in stock that had the packages I wanted.

Anyway, I am off Oyster now with the Alpine White (i think)

New choices are beige, mojave, or black.

Does the Mojave brown clash with the black interior?
      09-27-2011, 10:10 AM   #7
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Quote:

Agree 100%. It's the OPs car, pick it yourself.
      09-27-2011, 10:26 AM   #8
greg2step
X3 Owner/Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacb1301 View Post
It's an absolutely interior choice that looks great with just about every exterior in my opinion. Personally would match it with white, black or Space Gray.
+1 matches awesome w/ deep space blue - bet it looks great w/ mineral silver too. Mojave is an X3 exclusive color meaning you won't find it on another BMW
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 10:27 AM   #9
Flashy09
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

I know I must come off as super annoying. I am not going solely based off what the forum says, but I am coming out of a base Toyota Rav4 and am so excited about this X3 that I am probably over thinking everything since it's also my first custom order. Other people's opinions help me think of things I may not have thought of before and since I have not seen the white in person with anything but beige, it's a little tricky (for me) to visualize. If it really bothers you just ignore my silly posts, lol, and I will decide today and stop all the questions as my order is going in!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 10:31 AM   #10
Flashy09
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I am so tempted by the Mojave! I wish so badly I could see one in person. Is the contrast stitching a cream color or white? Does the brown go ok with the white/black of the exterior and black dash and steering wheel inside?

Would you call Mojave a "cafe au lait" type brown or is it darker? Like a Snickers bar?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 11:13 AM   #11
carlili4190
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 Nissan 350Z, 11 BMW X3

Go with black... It has white stitching that goes great with AW
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 11:18 AM   #12
beto_L.A.
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i

Quote:
Quote:
I am so tempted by the Mojave! I wish so badly I could see one in person. Is the contrast stitching a cream color or white? Does the brown go ok with the white/black of the exterior and black dash and steering wheel inside?

Would you call Mojave a "cafe au lait" type brown or is it darker? Like a Snickers bar?
I understand how you feel....I wanted to see the Mojave leather in a car but no car was available, I wanted to see the chestnut leather and the same results no car was available...I knew I was going to order a black exterior X3 so after picturing the 2 interior choices I had chosen in my mind I went with the chestnut leather...YES is hard to choose when you don't get to see the combo you want in person but in the end it all works out...I was in the same situation when I got my E90, I chose saddle brown leather with space gray exterior and not once did I see the saddle brown prior to getting my E90....all I get is props for the combo I chose....

I test drove an AW with Black leather and it looks nice....I think that any leather color goes with AW but some of the leather colors can make YOUR X3 more unique!!!
      09-27-2011, 11:57 AM   #13
jacb1301
Private First Class
Rep

Snickers bar not quite...it's like a heavy creamed coffee. It looks great and I would say it's cream colored stitch. Photos don't do it justice. There has to be a dealer in the area some where that you can see it in person. I am one of those guys who would go out every other weekend and just test drive vehicles on a regular basis. I think I need to become a car reviewer haha!

Quote:

09-27-2011, 01:06 PM   #14
jacb1301
Private First Class
Rep

Rock on!

Don't even worry about what others may think...if you have a question ask! Even if it's opinion based...who cares! I am in your boat man, this will be my first BMW and custom order too. I have gone from my original order of a Space Grey w/ Black X3 to now a Alpine White w/ Oyster X5 diesel. That's all thanks to research and talking things out to ultimately come to the decision on what was best for me. Trust me I asked a lot of questions and I appreciate all the feedback. So ask away.

Quote:
I know I must come off as super annoying. I am not going solely based off what the forum says, but I am coming out of a base Toyota Rav4 and am so excited about this X3 that I am probably over thinking everything since it's also my first custom order. Other people's opinions help me think of things I may not have thought of before and since I have not seen the white in person with anything but beige, it's a little tricky (for me) to visualize. If it really bothers you just ignore my silly posts, lol, and I will decide today and stop all the questions as my order is going in!
      09-27-2011, 01:27 PM   #15
Flashy09
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Don't even worry about what others may think...if you have a question ask! Even if it's opinion based...who cares! I am in your boat man, this will be my first BMW and custom order too. I have gone from my original order of a Space Grey w/ Black X3 to now a Alpine White w/ Oyster X5 diesel. That's all thanks to research and talking things out to ultimately come to the decision on what was best for me. Trust me I asked a lot of questions and I appreciate all the feedback. So ask away.
Thank you! I love the Oyster -That's the color I really want, but I am worried I will be too nervous about keeping it clean to enjoy it (dogs, a horse farm, a baby...)
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 01:38 PM   #16
jacb1301
Private First Class
Rep

Had the same fears, with a three year old. But we are going to get a custom seat cover for the whole 2nd row. That should do the trick. If in a few years the oyster is dingy and not aging well, we will just replace it at a local custom interiors shop. Life is short, go for it.

Quote:
Thank you! I love the Oyster -That's the color I really want, but I am worried I will be too nervous about keeping it clean to enjoy it (dogs, a horse farm, a baby...)
      09-27-2011, 03:52 PM   #17
tagz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 xDrive 35i

With Alpine White,

I would go with
1) Chestnut
2) Mohave

in that order

I have oyster though.. and I love it!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 06:18 PM   #18
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by walendvay View Post
I can totally see the point of asking opinions.....

Here are some reasons to solicit:

- what if you are color blind?
- what interior colors hold up? Does oyster get jeans stains? Does aluminum get streaks
- what colors would the mass like as it may help with resale
- many people, myself included, may have a hard time visualizing what the car would look like with a given combination
- what if you are color blind? | Then why do you even care what colors you get? OR, make a friend, and take them with you....

- what interior colors hold up? Does oyster get jeans stains? Does aluminum get streaks | All topics that have been discussed (or you wouldn't know to point them out). Asking specific maintainance related questions to a color is not the same as "what color do you like that I should like too?"

- what colors would the mass like as it may help with resale | Take a peek at any Toyota Camry on the lot....

- many people, myself included, may have a hard time visualizing what the car would look like with a given combination | Really? No, I mean it.... really??

[QUOTE=Flashy09;10500450]I know I must come off as super annoying. /QUOTE]

Yeah, but mostly you just seem sort of attention starved. No one is offended (least I'm not), but these questions are very tiresome. Frankly, we don't care. Get Mary Kay pink or International Orange if you want.... shag carpet seat covers would be nice too.... it's your car. Make a decision.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 06:36 PM   #19
mibmwx3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
If it really bothers you just ignore my silly posts, lol
+1
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 06:50 PM   #20
worfdum
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Not Yet

The Oyster ws my choice too. I wanted something that would add light to the interior, as I never liked cars that were dark inside in the middle of the day. I also went for the moonroof by the way, for the same reason.

For the outside, I wnet for deep sea blue, because it's a beautiful colour, contrasts enough with the Oyster, and is going to be less common than silver or grey.

I wouldn't worry about keeping Oyster clean either, there are plenty of threads on here which talk about how proper leather prepation and occasional simple cleaning can keep the leather looking as good as new

cheers
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 08:00 AM   #21
Flashy09
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
- what if you are color blind? | Then why do you even care what colors you get? OR, make a friend, and take them with you....

- what interior colors hold up? Does oyster get jeans stains? Does aluminum get streaks | All topics that have been discussed (or you wouldn't know to point them out). Asking specific maintainance related questions to a color is not the same as "what color do you like that I should like too?"

- what colors would the mass like as it may help with resale | Take a peek at any Toyota Camry on the lot....

- many people, myself included, may have a hard time visualizing what the car would look like with a given combination | Really? No, I mean it.... really??

Yeah, but mostly you just seem sort of attention starved. No one is offended (least I'm not), but these questions are very tiresome. Frankly, we don't care. Get Mary Kay pink or International Orange if you want.... shag carpet seat covers would be nice too.... it's your car. Make a decision.

I feel terrible that you are having to write such lengthy responses to questions you find tiresome and don't care about. But at least I got the attention I was craving!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 08:08 AM   #22
Flashy09
Enlisted Member
Rep

I decided to go with the black. That's what the forum poll said so it was easy. (That is a joke!!). It was my first choice, then I switched to Oyster but I just couldn't feel at ease with it completely and worried I would be either super neurotic about my husband, baby, and dogs and drive everyone crazy or I would give up and it would look like terrible. Plus I have never had black interior and I think with the white stiching, aluminium, and sunroof it won't be too dreary in there and it will go well with the white/black of the exterior. Mojave was soooo tempting, but I am not brave enough to buy it unseen in person. So decision made finally!
Appreciate 0