BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-28-2011, 09:26 PM   #1
509trooper
Staff Sergeant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35i

Did anybody consider the GLK?

Did anybody consider the Mercedes GLK? If so, did you test drive one and what were your likes and dislikes?

The look of the GLK appeals to me (unlike the Audi's), but once I drove the X3 35i it was all over, I knew what I wanted!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 11:05 PM   #2
AlexK
Private First Class
Uzbekistan
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5d, 2013 C63

Our family has GLK and while we don't have new X3 I can still comment on the GLK's behavior from BMW driver's point of view. Long story short, GLK is a typical "Mercedes", with its pretty lightweight steering and a "soft", long-travel brake pedal. It's not what I would consider as "bad" (my mother loves it), but it's... different. The rest of the GLK's features are pretty good - the 7-speed auto transmission is pretty smooth and almost unnoticeable, the throttle response is pretty linear, the suspension has the (IMO) right mix of "softness" on very bumpy road and "firmness" when taking sharp sudden turns and the overall build quality is very "solid" even though interior materials might not look "expensive" to some people. The only 2 things that I personally dislike are the pretty poor fuel economy (probably due to "outdated", non-DI V6 engine) and the GUI of COMAND navi/entertainment system (never liked what Mercedes was trying to do with it, never felt "intuitive" enough).
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 11:18 PM   #3
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Considered it, but not for very long. With comparable equipment it actually costs more than a 35i. Its highway fuel consumption is significantly (33%) higher. It's much slower (0 - 60 mph of 7.2 sec vs. 5.6 for the X3 35i). Note: MB claims 0-60 of 6.5 sec, but in every road test of the CLK, the testers can't seem to better 7.2 sec. The back seat is hard to get into and not very comfortable [IMHO] and the styling is very dated. The roof rails are downright ugly. Plus the window switches are placed in a very strange position. If you like interior wood paneling, it's a great choice, and they seem to be fairly "bug-free" except for the 7-speed transmission shifting, which has had a lot of complaints from some owners, but is liked by others.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 11:55 PM   #4
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Drove a GLK on two separate occasions before the new X3 was out. Both times a mix of hiway and city. Both times it felt "heavy" to me. I don't mind the looks, and it's not a bad package. Then I drove the new X3 and that was the end of any interest in the GLK. No comparison if you like driving.
      05-29-2011, 02:04 AM   #5
mtlcruisin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

The GLK doesn't even look nice, that's where it ends for me. It needs a total redesign.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 02:11 AM   #6
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlbrad View Post
The GLK doesn't even look nice, that's where it ends for me. It needs a total redesign.
Agree the GLK is fugly but think the Q5 winds on looks hands down

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 03:33 AM   #7
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMMER UK 76 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlbrad View Post
Agree the GLK is fugly but think the Q5 winds on looks hands down
Q5?!? The Q5 is ghastly!!! And as for the Q7, no single word can describe the extent of it's ugliness.

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
On Order: 2015 Audi A6 Avant Ultra, Black Edition (sorry!)
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 03:33 AM   #8
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509trooper View Post
Did anybody consider the Mercedes GLK? If so, did you test drive one and what were your likes and dislikes?

The look of the GLK appeals to me (unlike the Audi's), but once I drove the X3 35i it was all over, I knew what I wanted!
check this thread for more views

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showth...&highlight=glk
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 03:41 AM   #9
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomer123 View Post
Q5?!? The Q5 is ghastly!!! And as for the Q7, no single word can describe the extent of it's ugliness.
Q7 is a wrong un but I do like the Q5 and think its better looking than X3, each to their own otherwise you wouldnt see a single GLK on the road

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 01:16 PM   #10
Waffle
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 xDrive20d SE

The Q5 was my choice before C02 emissions and UK taxation became a factor. I thought I would always look at the Q5 and think may be next time.

Happily the X3 is growing on me now that I'm driving it. The contours and lines of the car down the sides and bonnet are really pleasing although catch front of the X3 from the odd angle and it looks a bit quirky.

This is my first BME after 15 years of Audi's and it probably won't be my last. I never thought I would say that.

BMW F25 X3 xDrive20d SE
black sapphire | black nevada leather | wave wood | 19" double spoke alloys | xline | xenons | business advanced media package | electric seats | dab | extended storage | grey shade band | auto
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 03:47 PM   #11
beerfan
Rep
Drives: X3 28i - Titanium Silver

I checked into the GLK because the lease rates were outstanding and I came away very unimpressed. I really like Mercedes too...but this car wasn't practical (at least not for me). A poster above hit the nail on the head when he said that it 'drove heavy.' You could feel it when stopping and around the turns. The gas mileage was horrible (21/17 I think). The interior was pretty nice, but the cabin was SMALL and this was the major deterrent. I have on kid (and one on the way) and I wasn't sure if I could fit the car seats in the back. The cargo area was also very small wit the seats up.

The Mercedes dealership also had a lot of GLK's on the lot. Maybe the reason for the low lease rate (a lot of rebates/incentives)???

It came down to the X3 and Q5 for me....and it was a very hard decision because both are excellent cars. Long story short, I ordered the X3 last week.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 05:58 PM   #12
XenaBimmer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 328i, '14 320i

I can give a pretty good comparison since I have owned a GLK for 2 years and am trading it in on an X3 that is scheduled to start production this week. The major things stated above I would agree with: tight backseat, tight cargo space, loose steering (this is my biggest complaint with the vehicle). In regards to acceleration it feels pretty fast if you are high in the rpm range. However, typical daily driving is not like this so low end isn't as powerful as what I would like it to be. Fuel economy has actually been decent...I usually get 23-25 on hwy and 20-21 in mixed driving. Looks are obviously personal, but I like the exterior quite a lot.

The plus side is these definitely lease great and you can get a fairly loaded model for a good price these days. Yes, they have a lot of them on the lots, which may be why the pricing is so good, but nonetheless you can get into a MB for not too much $$.

Why the change? It was time for something different and the X3 fit the bill. To be honest, I first went back to MB to look at a more loaded version of the GLK than I currently have, but came to the conclusion I didn't LOVE the car enough to get another one. I took one look at the new X3 and was sold immediately. Now I am chomping at the bit to take delivery! As a side note...I agree with the others on the Q5. Just doesn't do it for me. I didn't even go into the dealership. One drive by told me to keep on going to BMW!
      05-29-2011, 06:15 PM   #13
509trooper
Staff Sergeant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35i

@XenaBimmer - that's for the reply and your insights into the GLK. Like you I don't care for the look of the Audi's, so I never considered it. Post pics when you get your X3, I would love to see them.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 06:54 PM   #14
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Not really sure why but from personal experience MB dealerships always seem to want to give deeper discounts or more attractive lease offerings than other car companies.

For a car that just came out in 2009 the GLK's styling seems pretty dated to me. I'm not sure where MB is trying to go with the GLK's design, perhaps they wanted to make it sculpted and imposing but to me it just looks angular and boxy.

The Q5 is a great looking car as with every Audi imo. The problem is while the Q5 looks great to me every Audi pretty much looks the same, it's as if they found one good looking design then decided to use it on every car then add minor cosmetic tweaks. There's nothing really distinctive between each model the only difference is how large you want your car to be, check out MB or BMW's lineup no two cars really look the same. To each their own though.

Formula for making an Audi:
1. Add signature grille
2. Add rectangular headlights
3. Add an area for fog lights
4. Add a liberal amount of Christmas lights
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 07:56 PM   #15
torzeck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i, 2020 X3 30i

Quote:
That's funny. My wife thinks the the Q5 is post menopausal or for a guy with too much estrogen on board.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 01:35 AM   #16
Ultimate Driver
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509trooper View Post

Briefly considered it but it was just too small for my needs. It matches the size of the old X3 but is really small compared to the F25. It is also a gas guzzler. While I am not expecting to beat the Prius' fuel economy in an SUV, the consumption was extremely disappointing in the GLK (I couldn't get it over 14 mpg in busy downtown driving).

On the positive side, the values/lease rates are good and the look is unique. Definitely not everyone's cup of tea, but different from anything else out there. The drive wasn't bad. but noticeably worse than the X3.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 01:44 AM   #17
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
+1 for first use of the word "ghastly" on this forum

I disagree though and still think the Q5 is a better looking car than the X3, particularly S Line special edition (big rims) with xenons in white. Standard rims and no xenons on the Q5 makes it look pretty average, particularly in darker colours. And there are so many Q5s on the roads now too. The same might be said of the F25 X3 in a year or two

The GLK looks absolutely awful IMO. Worst looking Mercedes SUV by some margin. Wouldn't even consider

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 02:55 AM   #18
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Originally Posted by torzeck View Post
That's funny. My wife thinks the the Q5 is post menopausal or for a guy with too much estrogen on board.
Appreciate 0