BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-25-2011, 12:54 AM   #23
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

One plus point for the Q5 over BMW is you can choose any colour across the entire Audi range for a little extra, and you can even specify any colour you like and if they can make it, they'll paint your car in it.

Also lots more choices on the upholstery colours including two tone

The Q7 in Mugello Blue is the best colour I've seen. Better than DSB IMO but you need to see it in the flesh to appreciate it (that said, I haven't seen a DSB X3 in the flesh yet)

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 07:30 PM   #24
mjjc1972
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0d SE

Enough is enough

I parked up today about 5 spaces down from a 2.0tdi Q5 S-line who was pulling in about the same time as me. I had admired his car, but felt that I had decided with my head and heart together. Each to their own. I was not even making eye contact, and this Q5 driver told me, "Couldn't afford the X5 then? You should have got a Q5, mate, like me...they're way better than that X5 wannabee. Anyway, quattro kicks xdrive's arse every time, and I test drove the X3 the day it was launched - it was shit. Get yourself a real car...."

I hadn't said a word up until this point; I calmly stated that as I needed to pick as a company car, the running and taxation costs ruled the Q5 out over the X3 and that I found the X3 superior.

What I didn't like about this was:

i) No appreciation of different tastes - I think the Q5 is a really handsome car and beautifully built. I could have been driving anything; if it was different from his, he would have been compelled to speak.
ii) Opening his mouth in the first place - basically, this was a 'quick, show him your penis is bigger' moment.

It reinforces what I am seeing; BMW drivers have a bad reputation (still), but I think Audi has caught up and exceeded. There seems to be a lot of Q5 drivers (on the forums at least) who feel obliged to slag off the X3, even though most X3 drivers would admit that the Q5 is a nice beast and if we were forced to swap, we wouldn't feel too hard done by. I know a few complete knobs (it's a non-complimentary British term) and you know what? Over half of them drive Audis........
      06-02-2011, 10:06 PM   #25
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjjc1972 View Post
I parked up today about 5 spaces down from a 2.0tdi Q5 S-line who was pulling in about the same time as me. I had admired his car, but felt that I had decided with my head and heart together. Each to their own. I was not even making eye contact, and this Q5 driver told me, "Couldn't afford the X5 then? You should have got a Q5, mate, like me...they're way better than that X5 wannabee. Anyway, quattro kicks xdrive's arse every time, and I test drove the X3 the day it was launched - it was shit. Get yourself a real car...."

I hadn't said a word up until this point; I calmly stated that as I needed to pick as a company car, the running and taxation costs ruled the Q5 out over the X3 and that I found the X3 superior.

i) No appreciation of different tastes - I think the Q5 is a really handsome car and beautifully built. I could have been driving anything; if it was different from his, he would have been compelled to speak.
ii) Opening his mouth in the first place - basically, this was a 'quick, show him your penis is bigger' moment.

It reinforces what I am seeing; BMW drivers have a bad reputation (still), but I think Audi has caught up and exceeded. There seems to be a lot of Q5 drivers (on the forums at least) who feel obliged to slag off the X3, even though most X3 drivers would admit that the Q5 is a nice beast and if we were forced to swap, we wouldn't feel too hard done by. I know a few complete knobs (it's a non-complimentary British term) and you know what? Over half of them drive Audis........
Wow what a jerk, you should have asked him if he got the Q5 because he couldn't afford the Q7 or if you meet any future A-hole Q7 owners you should ask them why they got the 3-liter instead of the 6-liter V12.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 10:17 PM   #26
colton_matthias
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 M Sport

Quote:

I don't like him..... like if he has a Q7, fine.... but he also has a Q5... so is he too poor to afford a Q7?? and for many the X5 might be alittle bit too big while the X3 is the right size, not because of the money man... lol.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 12:46 AM   #27
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

I think anyone that had a test drive in both a Q5 and an X3 and decided to buy the Q5 because it was better to drive is deluded. They're not even close IMO. If they bought a Q5 purely because it looked better, I can understand that.

On the subject of the Audi driver in question, I would say this:

Quote:
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
Abraham Lincoln

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 01:23 AM   #28
Bustofa
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 XDrive20D SE

Quote:
........this Q5 driver told me, "Couldn't afford the X5 then? You should have got a Q5, mate, like me...they're way better than that X5 wannabee. Anyway, quattro kicks xdrive's arse every time, and I test drove the X3 the day it was launched - it was shit. Get yourself a real car...."
What a complete tosser!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 02:48 AM   #29
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustofa View Post
What a complete tosser!
Even Jeremy Clarkson now admits Audi drivers are now bigger cocks than BMW drivers.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 05:12 AM   #30
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Had similar comments from a colleague who has a F11 520d touring yesterday (he always had Audi's before and is now a convert to BMW but only on 5 series)

He told me my X3 was shite and his 520d touring was much faster and better, he couldnt understand why I chose a F25 over a F11 (not that he has driven mine or I care much but after checking the stats he is right that the 520d is faster by 0.2 secs 0-60mph - wow soo much faster!).

Once a prick always a prick (and probably a very small one at that!)

Re: the audo driver if the X3 is a poor mans X5, then the 5 series is a poor man 7 and so on. Is the Q5 a poor mans Q7? You should have given him a bloody nose

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 07:56 AM   #31
1erich
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 135i

All you need to say to someone as insecure as that guy is that the q5 was too effeminate for your tastes. That would bother him until he got rid of it.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 10:04 AM   #32
colton_matthias
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1erich View Post
All you need to say to someone as insecure as that guy is that the q5 was too effeminate for your tastes. That would bother him until he got rid of it.
LMAO... I AGREE!!!!! +1!!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 01:06 PM   #33
ManMachine
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E60 528

Quote:
Originally Posted by inamik75 View Post
Even Jeremy Clarkson now admits Audi drivers are now bigger cocks than BMW drivers.
That's in UK.

In the U.S., BMW still rules Audi. (which is an anomaly, compared to the rest of the world.)
      06-03-2011, 01:14 PM   #34
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Who cares what a a$$hole like that thinks, anyway. Move past such childish comments.
      06-03-2011, 02:58 PM   #35
jlr_1304
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: none

Next time, just floor it. You'll see him speechless...in your rearview mirror.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2011, 12:10 AM   #36
MA78
TK-421
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Quote:
In the UK, I think Audi has become the new BMW; by this I mean that until recently, BMW drivers were considered 'knobs' (for non-UK residents, this is not a compliment). Now BMW actually seems to be the sensible choice, with Audi moving more to a 'chavvy' image. I know this is a sweeping generalisation and that there will be many exceptions, but just look at who sponsors the players/managers seats at Old Trafford....

This confirms 2 things:
1) By association with Man U, Audi have become the 'bimbo' of the premium car market, and will no doubt insist that all cars come with a years subscription to Heat/Hello magazine.
2) What kind of 'knobby' company sponsors premiership seats? And the seats are Recaro car seats for God's sake!

I have owned 2 Audi A6's; Audi make good/great cars, but their PR has dumbed down and I can't associate with them anymore. Honestly, I really considered the Q5, and although I felt the X3 was the better car, the Audi image made me score it off the list early on......
I think my profile picture tells you why I live your post so much.
Appreciate 0