BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-27-2014, 04:06 PM   #1
jtd
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

BMW X4 or BMW X6

Does anyone of you wondering on buying a X6 F16 or E71 instead of X4 ? If yes why did you decide to go to X4 ? Price, smaller size or something else ?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 09:56 PM   #2
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

X4 for size, looks better, in Xline trim, less ostentatious, the new X6 styling is a bit backwards. However the New X6 interior is way more classy and luxurious minus the iPad screen which I am still not a fan off. Always loved the X6 but the size could not get me there, not a fan of big cars, X3/4 size is where I stop.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 08:26 AM   #3
TurboT
Private First Class
Finland
Rep
Drives: X4 30d

X6 F16 wasn't available, when I had to make a choise. Anyway the X6 costs a lot of more with same performance than X4, so not a option for me at end...
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 08:38 AM   #4
Bimar
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT View Post
X6 F16 wasn't available, when I had to make a choise. Anyway the X6 costs a lot of more with same performance than X4, so not a option for me at end...
That's so right performance not better I would go on to say neither the interior space that much bigger. If only that interior was in the X4, if only
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 08:43 AM   #5
predator
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: Bmw X4 2.0i xline sophistograu

my wife and i share the same car and for me the X6 was favorite but she couldn't handle it because she is not very tall , she felt out of control in the X6 and in the X4 she didn't . I must say the quality of the leather and the interior are much better in the X6 .
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 11:23 AM   #6
Bimar
Colonel
Rep

This --->>> http://www.bmwblog.com/2014/06/10/20...mw-x6-one-buy/
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 12:35 PM   #7
jtd
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

I love comfort seats on X6 and I'm afraid sport seats on X4, unfortunately sport seats in X4 are lose in every aspect vs comfort seats
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2014, 09:01 AM   #8
Jypsie
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X4 M40i Carbon Black

Well I went for the X4 mainly because it is a bit smaller, but will see. Next week the new X6 will be presented here, will have a look, maybe next car?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2014, 10:37 AM   #9
Bimar
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jypsie View Post
Well I went for the X4 mainly because it is a bit smaller, but will see. Next week the new X6 will be presented here, will have a look, maybe next car?
the real temping part is the interior, its just wow!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2015, 01:39 PM   #10
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

I am looking at these two cars right now. Currently we have a X3 which will be at the 50K 4 year mark in October and time to trade it in.

Illinois just got rid of the "pay full tax on a lease" silliness so leasing is now a good option for us. X6 residual is great at 60% (X4 not horrible at 57% but X3 isn't even an option at 53%), in fact you can lease a $70K X6 for about $65/month more than a $58K X3, that to me would be a no brainer. The X4 is a big cheaper due to the higher residual.

The real question is what the wife prefers as she will be driving it most of the time, She has never driven anything larger than a X3 and likes to hit things (5 accidents in last 5 years). I am worried the X6 will be too large (wide) for her. Although I would prefer to drive the X6 over the X4 just because that interior is so damn nice compared to the cheap X3/X4 one. Also the X6 total cargo space is closer to our X3 than the X4 (which is virtually identical with a 3 wagon/4 gran coupe). I think it would be a much easier decision if they didn't just stick the X3 interior in the X4, like if they actually gave it the new navigation dash and upgraded a few parts here and there, made it more like the F30 interior (which hopefully the next gen X3/X4 will be now that there is a X1/X2 in the lineup).

I actually prefer the "ipad" screen on the newer models, at first I didn't when I saw pictures, but after getting my F30 (335i) I fell in love with it and can't stand the X3 navigation now, while driving the screen is much more visible with the new setup. Also I wouldn't call it an ipad screen as others have, its more like Audi's pop up except it doesn't go down! now MERCEDES, that is an IPAD screen! and maybe the sole reason I won't be getting the new C63.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 02:41 AM   #11
frankrs
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT View Post
+1
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 03:37 AM   #12
Bimar
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
I am looking at these two cars right now. Currently we have a X3 which will be at the 50K 4 year mark in October and time to trade it in.

Illinois just got rid of the "pay full tax on a lease" silliness so leasing is now a good option for us. X6 residual is great at 60% (X4 not horrible at 57% but X3 isn't even an option at 53%), in fact you can lease a $70K X6 for about $65/month more than a $58K X3, that to me would be a no brainer. The X4 is a big cheaper due to the higher residual.

The real question is what the wife prefers as she will be driving it most of the time, She has never driven anything larger than a X3 and likes to hit things (5 accidents in last 5 years). I am worried the X6 will be too large (wide) for her. Although I would prefer to drive the X6 over the X4 just because that interior is so damn nice compared to the cheap X3/X4 one. Also the X6 total cargo space is closer to our X3 than the X4 (which is virtually identical with a 3 wagon/4 gran coupe). I think it would be a much easier decision if they didn't just stick the X3 interior in the X4, like if they actually gave it the new navigation dash and upgraded a few parts here and there, made it more like the F30 interior (which hopefully the next gen X3/X4 will be now that there is a X1/X2 in the lineup).

I actually prefer the "ipad" screen on the newer models, at first I didn't when I saw pictures, but after getting my F30 (335i) I fell in love with it and can't stand the X3 navigation now, while driving the screen is much more visible with the new setup. Also I wouldn't call it an ipad screen as others have, its more like Audi's pop up except it doesn't go down! now MERCEDES, that is an IPAD screen! and maybe the sole reason I won't be getting the new C63.
maybe also consider a Macan if looking for a nicer interior in a smaller size but the TECH is Ancient, if you are used to idrive its a couple of years behind the first idrive. The X6 is way too big and my X4 has more leg and headroom than the E71, not seen the F16 yet, this month though.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 07:05 PM   #13
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

Quote:

SUV is great for high up driving view but backing up/parking is tougher due to visibility. I find surround view camera & PDC as essentials. The smaller rear window on x4/x6 compared to x3/x5 again reduces visibility. I prefer looks of former pair but the latter pair is more practical. If your decision comes to x6 take a second look at x5.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 10:22 AM   #14
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcelona View Post
SUV is great for high up driving view but backing up/parking is tougher due to visibility. I find surround view camera & PDC as essentials. The smaller rear window on x4/x6 compared to x3/x5 again reduces visibility. I prefer looks of former pair but the latter pair is more practical. If your decision comes to x6 take a second look at x5.
Wife refuses to buy a X5, won't tell me the exact reason, but one big one is color choice, she refuses to buy a silver/gray/white/black car or super dark colors, only likes medium to bright colors (I like all colors). Personally I think the X4 and X6 like awesome in their red choices (also available on the X3 which we have now). Our X3 has the perfect amount of cargo space and we only utilize it a couple times a year, the X4 is cutting it close.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 07:29 PM   #15
jmcphillips1
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 128 Coupe

Garage List
Save the money and get the x4
Retired: 2003 X5 4.6is
Retired: 2006 330i Post September
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 07:48 PM   #16
Yocal
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 X4 28i M Sport

Save the money and get another (fully-loaded) X3.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 05:30 AM   #17
Portimao318
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 318i Touring MSport

Quote:
Wife refuses to buy a X5, won't tell me the exact reason, but one big one is color choice, she refuses to buy a silver/gray/white/black car or super dark colors, only likes medium to bright colors (I like all colors). Personally I think the X4 and X6 like awesome in their red choices (also available on the X3 which we have now). Our X3 has the perfect amount of cargo space and we only utilize it a couple times a year, the X4 is cutting it close.
Go for a melbourne red X4. Looks sexy as hell !

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 11:33 AM   #18
Bimar
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endre2 View Post
Go for a melbourne red X4. Looks sexy as hell !

Have the Melbourne stunning in person and compliments well with a light interior
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 11:40 AM   #19
Rizz
X4 Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X4 Black Sapphire Msport

Initially I went in to look at and buy a 2014 X6 around this time last year.
I was driving a X5 and i had a Mini Cooper Convertible for a fun car. I was tired of two cars and the Mini was so small I nearly ended up with semi trucks changing lanes over me on the highway. My spouse and I always loved the look of the X 6, big nasty coupe with the talents of a SUV and cargo room.
When I drove the X6 it didn't seem fun or nimble, just big and nasty. I felt the power but for me I wanted a different feel, more like the fun sporty Cooper.
I took out a X6 again this time for an afternoon. It was nice, lots of room but it seemed cavernous to me. I started research on something similar but not so big and found the X4 was coming out. My dealer didn't know and didn't tell me so I was glad I did the research. Long story we bought the X4 and it has been amazing. Fast, nimble and fun to drive like the Cooper but with power and street presence to back it up. I did think the interior was a little cheesy for the price range and did love the 2015 X6 interior design when I saw it in print. The price of the X4 we bought was just over $60k so price wise it was where we wanted to be. After driving it 5 months now I have no complaints. I will not be able to load the larger furniture items or cargo I could in our old X5 and my prior 4Runner but we also have a truck so not an issue for us. cargo space is enough with routine items we carry ,we have been happy with the room.The X4 fits in the garage next to the Mita where the X6 didn't. We have a small garage and space was an issue too.. Love the X4 no regrets . When I have parked next to X6 in a parking lot the X4 looks sportier and sleek. Good decision for us.
Appreciate 0