BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-20-2012, 09:36 PM   #1
oygen
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

His phone her phone - automatic primary?

If we have both phones paired, hers first and primary, his second, can the profile be smart enough to make his primary if his remote is used to unlock and start car?

Or must we reset primary with iDrive, each time we switch drivers?

And how do things work when both his phone and her phone are onboard, and she is driving, her phone is primary, then his phone receives a call? Is the call received via bluetooth to his phone?

The preferred operation would be to have the driver's phone be primary and bluetooth operated, and the passenger's phone not. If he is the passenger, incoming calls to his phone are received by his phone, and not the car's bluetooth system with its speakers and mic.

How say you? How does this all work?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 01:50 AM   #2
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

Phones are not included in profiles but we have both our phones linked up. The list order is the priority order. Therefore it will connect to the 1st if both try to connect. However if the number 2 phone arrives it connects to this and will not disconnect if the no 1 phone then arrives.
So you would need to manually swap the bluetooth over if you swap over drivers and want to swap phones at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 10:08 AM   #3
oygen
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

A product feature request

OK, well then this is the way it ought to work, when multiple phones are in the car.

You should be able to pair as many phones to the car as there are keyless remotes, and keyless remotes should relate 1:1 with profiles.

Each phone should relate 1:1 with a profile.

Whichever "profile" last unlocked the car, should be reset by the system as "primary" and thus the phone "attached" to that profile should be primary.

The primary phone should be the only one active with the car's bluetooth system.

Thus, the driver gets to use bluetooth and be hands-free when using phone, and any other profiled passengers having their phones on board must use their phones as always. Handsets, no bluetooth, no hands-free.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 09:00 PM   #4
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

No, it shouldn't work that way. I like having my passengers being able to use the Bluetooth connection. There's no reason a phone should need to relate to a profile. Someone doesn't need to be a driver to use the Bluetooth connection in the vehicle.
      05-22-2012, 12:20 PM   #5
snowboardjoe
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28i

If both phones are paired, my phone is currently linked via BT and partner's cell phone gets an incoming call, will iDrive respond to that, or will my partner need to answer his phone without BT?

To be more precise, if one phone is connected via BT, is there any function another BT phone would have access to in iDrive? I'm guessing no.
      05-22-2012, 08:41 PM   #6
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Secondary phone feature allows that.
      05-22-2012, 09:24 PM   #7
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
Secondary phone feature allows that.
Clarify please. Is that something that the X3 can do?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 04:36 AM   #8
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

The following is from pgs 177/78 in my 2011 manual.

Additional telephone
A mobile phone can be used as an additional telephone.
The additional telephone can be used to accept incoming calls, refer to page 180. While a call is active on the additional telephone, incoming calls are displayed on the Control Display.

Activating/deactivating the additional functions
1. "Telephone"
2. "Bluetooth (telephone)"
3. Open "Options".
4. Select the desired additional function.
▷ "Additional telephone" ▷ "Office"
▷ "Bluetooth audio"

Four devices can be paired with the vehicle at once. Three devices can be connected with the vehicle at once.
      05-23-2012, 08:14 AM   #9
02420X3
Captain
Rep

Thanks. Missed that one. I'll give it a try.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 06:23 PM   #10
02420X3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowboardjoe View Post
If both phones are paired, my phone is currently linked via BT and partner's cell phone gets an incoming call, will iDrive respond to that, or will my partner need to answer his phone without BT?

To be more precise, if one phone is connected via BT, is there any function another BT phone would have access to in iDrive? I'm guessing no.
Thanks to a tip from Nahoa, I've discovered that my previous response was only partially correct. I've deleted that post.

If you have two Bluetooth phones, both are Paired, and both are configured as Telephone, it works like this:

Only the Connected phone has access to anything via Bluetooth. No matter how many phones are Paired, only one is Connected at any given time. If A Paired but Unconnected phone gets a call then it will have to be answered manually without Bluetooth. Likewise, if that person wants to place a call then either you will have to change the Connected phone to their phone, or they will have to place the call without Bluetooth.

Nahoa's tip reminded me that there are three Bluetooth configuration options, Telephone, Additional Telephone, and Audio. If one phone is configured as Telephone and a 2nd phone is configured as Additional Telephone then the behavior changes. I tried this out today.

I have two phones, a BlackBerry and an iPhone. I configured the BB as Telephone, and the iPhone as Additional Telephone. In iDrive, in Telephone, the icons change and a new line of text appears. The BB icon is the same, a telephone handset with a Directory next to it. The iPhone has a new icon, a handset with an arrow next to it. Both phones appear as Connected, but it takes a few exra seconds to do so. Below them, a new line of text appears reading "Swap telephone/additional telephone".

If a call comes into the BB it rings as normal, and can be answered through the Bluetooth connection. If a call comes in on the iPhone it too can be answered through the Bluetooth connection, but only one phone can be active over Bluetooth at a time. The manual says "An incoming call to the additional telephone is automatically rejected if there is an active call on
the other telephone."

The directory of the phone configured as Telephone (BB) is read by the X3, and calls can be placed using iDrive, the directory and the Bluetooth connection. The Additional Telephone may also place calls using Bluetooth, but they must be initiated from the phone, not iDrive. Again, only one phone may actively use the Bluetooth connection at a time.

If you click on "Swap telephone/additional telephone" using iDrive then the two phones switch Telephone/Additional Telephone functions. In my case, the icon of the BB changed to a handest with an arrow, the icon of the iPhone changed to the normal icon of a handset with a directory, and the directory of the iPhone was read by the X3.

For me, the Bluetooth now works with both of my phones almost exactly how I would like it to. The one feature that is missing that I would like to have is the ability to place an active call on hold and answer an incoming call on the second phone.

Thanks, Nahoa, for pointing me to the Additional Telephone setting that I had forgotten.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 06:35 PM   #11
TigerFan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02420X3 View Post
Thanks to a tip from Nahoa, I've discovered that my previous response was only partially correct. I've deleted that post.

If you have two Bluetooth phones, both are Paired, and both are configured as Telephone, it works like this:

Only the Connected phone has access to anything via Bluetooth. No matter how many phones are Paired, only one is Connected at any given time. If A Paired but Unconnected phone gets a call then it will have to be answered manually without Bluetooth. Likewise, if that person wants to place a call then either you will have to change the Connected phone to their phone, or they will have to place the call without Bluetooth.

Nahoa's tip reminded me that there are three Bluetooth configuration options, Telephone, Additional Telephone, and Audio. If one phone is configured as Telephone and a 2nd phone is configured as Additional Telephone then the behavior changes. I tried this out today.

I have two phones, a BlackBerry and an iPhone. I configured the BB as Telephone, and the iPhone as Additional Telephone. In iDrive, in Telephone, the icons change and a new line of text appears. The BB icon is the same, a telephone handset with a Directory next to it. The iPhone has a new icon, a handset with an arrow next to it. Both phones appear as Connected, but it takes a few exra seconds to do so. Below them, a new line of text appears reading "Swap telephone/additional telephone".

If a call comes into the BB it rings as normal, and can be answered through the Bluetooth connection. If a call comes in on the iPhone it too can be answered through the Bluetooth connection, but only one phone can be active over Bluetooth at a time. The manual says "An incoming call to the additional telephone is automatically rejected if there is an active call on
the other telephone."

The directory of the phone configured as Telephone (BB) is read by the X3, and calls can be placed using iDrive, the directory and the Bluetooth connection. The Additional Telephone may also place calls using Bluetooth, but they must be initiated from the phone, not iDrive. Again, only one phone may actively use the Bluetooth connection at a time.

If you click on "Swap telephone/additional telephone" using iDrive then the two phones switch Telephone/Additional Telephone functions. In my case, the icon of the BB changed to a handest with an arrow, the icon of the iPhone changed to the normal icon of a handset with a directory, and the directory of the iPhone was read by the X3.

For me, the Bluetooth now works with both of my phones almost exactly how I would like it to. The one feature that is missing that I would like to have is the ability to place an active call on hold and answer an incoming call on the second phone.

Thanks, Nahoa, for pointing me to the Additional Telephone setting that I had forgotten.
+1 This method has worked well for our two phones.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 07:48 PM   #12
snowboardjoe
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28i

Awesome writeup, 02420X3! Thank you so much! That's more functionality than I thought it had. Will definitely explore this more now.
      05-24-2012, 12:29 PM   #13
02420X3
Captain
Rep

Today I did some playing around to see what BMW means by "An incoming call to the additional telephone is automatically rejected if there is an active call on
the other telephone."

With the BB as Telephone and iPhone as Additional Telephone I tried calling the iPhone from the BB. I got a brief notification of the call on the iPhone, but the X3 rejected ithe call and sent it to voicemail. A notification of the missed call appeared on the Nav screen. I got the same results when I tried it in the other direction, calling the BB from the iPhone. I swapped the phones between Telephone and Additional Telephone and repeated the tests, receiving the same results.

So, if either Telephone or Additional Telephone is making a call using the Bluetooth connection then an incoming call for the other telephone will be sent to voicemail, the phone will register a "missed call", and "missed call" information will appear on the Nav screen.

One other thing that I noticed is that when I return to the car with both phones in my posession, the X3 remembers which of the two was configured as Telephone and which was Additional Telephone. I didn't experiment with leaving one phone in the house and only returning with one phone.
Appreciate 0