BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-20-2012, 01:27 PM   #1
ehd
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

new 2013 X3 35i

I just purchased a 2013 X3 35i, sight-unseen (sports activity pkg, premium pkg, technology pkg, cold weather I & II pkg, sat radio). Haven't had a BMW since the 90's, so I'm just getting up to speed with its variances vs. my sports-suv focus over the last several years: Cayenne's, Touareg's, Q7's, MB designed GC, etc., etc.

I picked it up out of state and drove it home Friday; love it -- yet the recommended break-in, "...must keep it under 4k RPM's and 100mph for the first 1,200 miles...", has constrained my use of the paddles or sport modes, thus constraining my primary focus

My only gripe is the envriomental-wacko "auto-motor-start-stop", that's "ON" by default. This is insane, IMO. Who wants a 5.4 second 0-60 sports SUV (aka, "sav"), that's dead @ at a stop light (or goes from dead to redline in some cases). How do you explain this feature to random drivers (ie: valet attendants, friends, family, etc.), how do you keep a random driver from assuming the X3 is "OFF", when it still "ON", etc., etc. -- see lots of unnecessary, unwanted peril here. It also seems that it will setup a massive wear & tear situation; horrible for the break-in period. I could see a button to turn on this silly feature; but having it on by default is insane. </rant>

Again, its early, but love the X3 35i otherwise -- hopefully there will be someone here who knows how to get into the system and disable this default setting (like with a Touareg, using VAG-com/"VCDS") Cheers;

Last edited by ehd; 05-20-2012 at 02:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 02:59 PM   #2
ReturnZero
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehd View Post
I just purchased a 2013 X3 35i, sight-unseen (sports activity pkg, premium pkg, technology pkg, cold weather I & II pkg, sat radio). Haven't had a BMW since the 90's, so I'm just getting up to speed with its variances vs. my sports-suv focus over the last several years: Cayenne's, Touareg's, Q7's, MB designed GC, etc., etc.

I picked it up out of state and drove it home Friday; love it -- yet the recommended break-in, "...must keep it under 4k RPM's and 100mph for the first 1,200 miles...", has constrained my use of the paddles or sport modes, thus constraining my primary focus

My only gripe is the envriomental-wacko "auto-motor-start-stop", that's "ON" by default. This is insane, IMO. Who wants a 5.4 second 0-60 sports SUV (aka, "sav"), that's dead @ at a stop light (or goes from dead to redline in some cases). How do you explain this feature to random drivers (ie: valet attendants, friends, family, etc.), how do you keep a random driver from assuming the X3 is "OFF", when it still "ON", etc., etc. -- see lots of unnecessary, unwanted peril here. It also seems that it will setup a massive wear & tear situation; horrible for the break-in period. I could see a button to turn on this silly feature; but having it on by default is insane. </rant>

Again, its early, but love the X3 35i otherwise -- hopefully there will be someone here who knows how to get into the system and disable this default setting (like with a Touareg, using VAG-com/"VCDS") Cheers;
Rest assured that BMW has beefed up the important components of the system (like the starter, etc) to make sure that the engine can start-stop all day without running into major problems. You do have to adjust your driving habits a bit, but it does help in the long run. My family has had a few vehicles with a similar system and it's weird at first, but if you just let it do its thing it isn't so bad.

That said, you CAN reprogram the system to remember if it was on or off using E-SYS, which is similar to VAG-COM. It's a bit more complicated, and everyone is just learning how it all works, but the start/stop is definitely one of the options. Just throwing it out there as a future possibility.

EDIT: Also, as far as explaining it to other people, anyone who has driven a Prius (which is a lot these days) should already be familiar with such a system. Shouldn't be too much of a stretch.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 03:38 PM   #3
nonagon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayenne GTS

Seems annoying but at least you can disable it.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 10:59 AM   #4
ehd
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturnZero View Post
...you CAN reprogram the system to remember if it was on or off using E-SYS, which is similar to VAG-COM. It's a bit more complicated, and everyone is just learning how it all works, but the start/stop is definitely one of the options. Just throwing it out there as a future possibility.
I hope so; hope I can find a shop with this "programmer", as the more I drive the i35, the more I HATE the "auto start/stop" BS-feature.

It makes me nuts, when I forget to turn it OFF! Its insane for BMW for FORCE such an obtrusive, negative, so-called feature, on the owners of this wonderful, high-end, "performance suv"; without providing an easily accessible iDrive user-setting to turn it OFF by default -- can't believe BWM would take such an aggressive position with this asinine, ill-conceived, radical feature. If I wanted an silly Prius; would have bought such. I'm also floored that it seems that few this board are upset about this insanity.

Also; I'm used to having a lock/unlock button on each door. Unless I'm missing something, the only door lock/unlock button is between the A/C vents -- if this is the only button, this is crazy.

Love the i35 otherwise; love the power, handling, ergos, etc., etc.

Last edited by ehd; 05-29-2012 at 11:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 11:23 AM   #5
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

I never cease to be amazed at the number of buyers who get their car before they realize they have certain features, eg. the new start/stop thing. Do these ppl not realize it's there before they buy it, and did they not do a test drive?

Also the Manual is a wonderful source of information.

Human nature, I guess..................
      05-29-2012, 12:28 PM   #6
Le Chef
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

Frankly

I wish our 2011 had Stop-Start technology. It works very well on BMW's, is not intrusive and saves gas. And as most people don't rev the nuts of the thing every time they leave a stop sign the fraction of a second lag is immaterial.

Equally I can't understand how you can buy something costing $40K+ and not know how it works. OTOH I can see why mail order brides works so well...
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 12:40 PM   #7
Renaud
Private
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 20i; 2002 E36/8

Why don't you just switch the start/stop system off (on European versions you can at least)
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 02:07 PM   #8
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

If you are not using auto hold the car will be started by the time you move your foot from the brake pedal to the gas pedal. The car will start if you move the steering wheel too.

You can also slip the shifter into DS mode approaching intersections and the car will remain running.

Auto start/stop is also disabled at different temperatures with the climate control operational.

Like the guys above have stated, most of this info is in the manual but MOST people don't read the manual unless they are looking for a specific feature.
      05-29-2012, 02:35 PM   #9
ehd
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuco44 View Post
I never cease to be amazed at the number of buyers who get their car before they realize they have certain features, eg. the new start/stop thing. Do these ppl not realize it's there before they buy it, and did they not do a test drive?
Lol; life is too short I buy a lot of vehicles and I purchased this 35i on impulse from an out of state dealer who informed me of the "Prius feature" on delivery. I was soley focused on its look/size and performance/handling, after reading reviews that raved over its performance/handling -- no mention of this silly FORCED-on by default, "Prius like feature".

Quote:
..Also the Manual is a wonderful source of information.

Human nature, I guess..................
Lol, I prefer joining boards, like this one, and ask questions to savvy owners -- why else would anyone join such

BTW: since I've not read the manual; can anyone here answer the door lock question?

Last edited by ehd; 05-30-2012 at 02:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 02:48 PM   #10
ehd
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Chef View Post
I wish our 2011 had Stop-Start technology. It works very well on BMW's, is not intrusive and saves gas. And as most people don't rev the nuts of the thing every time they leave a stop sign the fraction of a second lag is immaterial.

Equally I can't understand how you can buy something costing $40K+ and not know how it works. OTOH I can see why mail order brides works so well...
IMO, you must experience such in real-world situations, over a semi-long period of time (longer than a test drive) to have reasonable basis for an opinion on this topic (such could apply to mail order brides, as well )
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 03:03 PM   #11
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Quote:
Lol; life is too short I buy a lot of vehicles and I purchased this 35i on impulse from an out of state dealer who informed me of the "Prius feature" on delivery. I was soley focused on its look/size and performance/handling, after reading reviews that raved over its performance/handling -- no mention of this silly FORCED-on by default, "Prius like feature".

Lol, I prefer joining boards, like the one, and ask questions to savvy owners -- why else would anyone join such

BTW: since I've not read the manual; can anyone here answer the door lock question?
Since you let others do your research for you, and then complain when things don't work out the way you like them, I will let others answer your query for door lock info. Seems like a strange way to make the decision to buy a certain vehicle, but it's your call.

As to your question as why would anyone join such a forum as this, that is a good question, I wonder about that myself.
      05-29-2012, 03:43 PM   #12
mibmwx3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Also; I'm used to having a lock/unlock button on each door. Unless I'm missing something, the only door lock/unlock button is between the A/C vents -- if this is the only button, this is crazy.
Per the manual:

▷ Either unlock the doors together using the button for the central locking system and then pull the door handle above the armrest or
▷ Pull the door opener twice individually on each door: the first time unlocks the door, the second time opens it.

You can download a copy of the manual. I prefer looking things up this way so I don't need to wear reading glasses.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 09:35 PM   #13
Harv_NC
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i

If Start/Stop bugs you (like it does me!), just shift into Sport Mode with the shifter. Start/Stop is off, and the shifts are a lot more fun!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 01:53 AM   #14
ehd
Rep

mibmwx3; thanks! -- appreciate the help!

Harv_NC; excellent idea!

Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 07:07 AM   #15
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibmwx3
Quote:
Per the manual:

&amp;#9655; Either unlock the doors together using the button for the central locking system and then pull the door handle above the armrest or
&amp;#9655; Pull the door opener twice individually on each door: the first time unlocks the door, the second time opens it.

You can download a copy of the manual. I prefer looking things up this way so I don't need to wear reading glasses.
There's also a highly interactive manual built into the iDrive.
Appreciate 0