BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-02-2012, 11:30 PM   #1
Robocheme
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28i, 2014 X1 sDrive

Video playback with snap-in adapter

It was probably a mistake on buying the adapter since it seems like there's not a whole lot of difference between using the white cable and the snap-in adapter. The increased antenna coverage has pretty marginal value for me.

The only remaining difference is the "video playback" capability. If I have a movie on my iPhone, how do I play it on X3's screen? I'm only able to get the audio and that may just be over the Bluetooth connection.

Thanks,

Cliff
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2012, 02:21 AM   #2
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i 2011

You should try the iPhone video with adapter when the car is stationary.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2012, 03:38 AM   #3
kingbadger
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 3.0D MSport

Not Straightforward!

You either need to go to your dealer and ask to speak to their resident technical whizz for all things phone and cradle related......or spend an hour or so searching this forum. There are many threads because BMW make this so complicated!

There are issues with the iPhone version (3G /4) the iOS version (4 vs 5) the cradle type (there are three different types) the in car Bluetooth software version( as BMW try to keep up with Apple) and as ever, which options you have.

Eg for video- you need the top end adapter (media), the most recent in- car software update (you can check online and download it if you have your vehicle's VIN) if you are running iOS5 on your phone, and you must be stationary! If all these align....it works. So if you have a job or need to spend hours sitting stationary in your car, maybe you are a chauffeur ? It's a great idea! Otherwise I'm struggling to see when I would use it!

But it does work.
      06-03-2012, 09:27 AM   #4
Robocheme
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28i, 2014 X1 sDrive

I should have mentioned what I have. I've got the Tech package, BMW Apps, and the Media Adapter. The adapter seems to work fine since I can access Facebook, Twitter, WebRadio, Pandora, etc. And yes, the car was stationary.

I just want to know the procedure for viewing movies on my iPhone on the X3's screen.

I did do a search of this forum. All I could find was people saying it was possible or that it was a feature of the adapter, but no one says how.

Thanks,
Appreciate 0