BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-03-2012, 10:47 AM   #23
sard
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
It looks like there is a fix for this design flaw.

Check out this product: http://www.bimmian.com/65/SPB/
The curve that Sprint Booster creates would only exaggerate the "jerkyness" wouldn't it?

E92 M3 - DCT - 20" BBS LM-R - KW Clubsport - Akrapovic Exhaust - Powerchip Tune - Arkym Aero Kit - HID Halo
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 11:20 AM   #24
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

Donno. From my limited experience there is a significant dead spot in the throttle tip in that I mistakenly thought was turbo lag.

I think this device would eliminate or minimize the 5-10% throttle application where the stock throttle mapping gives the engine 0% power.

Here is a blurb from the website:
Quote:
Sprint Booster is a fully-reversible, quick and easy to install modification for your vehicle that will greatly improve the way your vehicle feels to the driver.

All modern BMW vehicles employ DRIVE BY WIRE technology meaning that the pedal when depressed, sends an electrical signal to your ECU that controls the throttle. This differs from older vehicles where the pedal is attached by cable directly to the throttle.

The problem with this new technology, is that the pedal will modify the input from your foot before forwarding the signal to the ECU. This signal is modified to add some delay from the time of input to throttle position change, it remaps the pedal depression to throttle opening to be non-linear (explained below) and it limits the throttle opening potential. These things are done to make the ride of the car smoother and less aggressive. This is done so that car manufacturers can get a higher approval rating from the majority of non performance-oriented consumers.

Consumers interested in vehicle performance, however, want to have direct control over vehicle acceleration. By installing the sprint booster throttle remapper, the CPU chip inside the sprint booster does these three things:

1) Eliminating the lag between pedal input and throttle response, making for more immediate vehicle response when you press on the pedal.

2) Removes the restriction on throttle opening, now the throttle can open up to 33% wider, allowing for more power to be generated at lower RPM ranges. It does not increase overall horsepower, just where this horsepower is made.

3) Linearly maps the pedal depression to throttle opening. Press the pedal down 20% and the throttle will open 20%. Press the pedal down 50% and the throttle will open 50%. Without sprint booster, when you depress the pedal 20% the throttle may open 10%, when you press down 40% it may open 25% and when you press down 100% it may open 75%. This is not linear and is not a natural way of driving.

These three benefits combine to provide a much more enjoyable driving experience. The vehicle feels much more responsive, powerful and fun to drive.

For those occasions where you want to reduce the benefit of the sprint booster (ie. lending car to friends / family) the included switch may be used to reduce the enhancement provided by the sprint booster, or switch it off completely, back to stock.
I liken the throttle response to wearing a Self Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA). If any of you have worn one you'll know what I mean... you breath in then the valve opens providing the oxygen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sard View Post
The curve that Sprint Booster creates would only exaggerate the "jerkyness" wouldn't it?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 12:34 PM   #25
sard
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
Donno. From my limited experience there is a significant dead spot in the throttle tip in that I mistakenly thought was turbo lag.

I think this device would eliminate or minimize the 5-10% throttle application where the stock throttle mapping gives the engine 0% power.

Here is a blurb from the website:

I liken the throttle response to wearing a Self Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA). If any of you have worn one you'll know what I mean... you breath in then the valve opens providing the oxygen.
The blurb you posted sounds like exactly what it needs! As most ppl say, you get used to it which I have, but you still have to give it that fraction of a second longer than "normal" mappings.

E92 M3 - DCT - 20" BBS LM-R - KW Clubsport - Akrapovic Exhaust - Powerchip Tune - Arkym Aero Kit - HID Halo
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 02:19 PM   #26
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

It looks like the Sprintbooster is not available for the 2nd gen X3 at this time
Quote:
Hi there,

I checked with Sprintbooster and unfortunately, they do not have a compatible products for your 2012 X3. I have inquired as to when something might be available and am waiting to get a firm ETA. Keep an eye on the site and when we have something compatible, it will be listed promptly. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 07:17 PM   #27
jk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '12 x3 35i

thanks for that explanation, lotus7. i'm curious what you think of using auto-h, then? do you leave it set that way? or do you, yourself, just rely on an educated foot?

further, would routine use of auto-h cause accelerated brake wear?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 07:51 AM   #28
n55x3
Captain
Rep
Drives: n55 BMWs

Yeah, good Auto-H explanation, thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 03:01 PM   #29
n55x3
Captain
Rep
Drives: n55 BMWs

Just a quick update on the lag. Had the X3 at the dealer couple days back for routine oil change and also asked them to look at the lag.

Their answer, exactly what I was expecting, was 'working within normal design specs'. That statement is hard for me to argue as it's throwing no codes, no shadow codes, nothing and from their perspective they are right. Tech also mentioned things like turbo lag, the eagerness of the Zf8spd to up shift etc. However, I do not think any of the scenarios fit our issue. I was really hoping for some software patch but it is what it is.

Interestingly enough, drove a '12 528 xdrive with the N20 motor and the same 8spd and it was much smoother but at the end of the day I'd still take a 3 series platform over the 5 series. Even our X3 feels much tighter and more agile than the 528 did.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 10:34 PM   #30
TreeSkier
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

My throttle take-off lag has just gotten worse and more finicky on my 35i even though I'm very aware of it and have adjusted for smooth take-offs. If I want to take off extremely slowly for the best gas mileage, I'm OK. But it I want a moderately fast take off, I find it difficult with the tranny in normal mode. I use Auto-H quite often as I drive surface streets quite freqently, or sometimes sport mode for moderate take-off and then switch back to normal mode once I'm going. Now, my complaint is that Auto-H doesn't stay on when you turn the car off. I now have a routine of starting the car, disengaging the parking brake, and then turn on Auto-H right away. I'm bummed that Auto-H can't be programed to stay on when the car is turned off.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 11:01 AM   #31
roundtree
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 F25 28i SB

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [10.00]
2012 BMW X3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid2 View Post
I'm bummed that Auto-H can't be programed to stay on when the car is turned off.
The thing that sends me to the moon is the double press required to power off the vehicle. Can't imagine many times where I'll cut the engine and still want the accessories on.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 11:52 AM   #32
bren
user
Rep
Drives: German Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundtree View Post
The thing that sends me to the moon is the double press required to power off the vehicle. Can't imagine many times where I'll cut the engine and still want the accessories on.
The whole push button start thing is stupid. But yes, having to keep tapping it to shut the thing off is really silly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibmwx3 View Post
This doesn't bother me; in fact, I like it. When I stop the car, I often sit and listen to the end of a song.
I have other cars that keep the radio on until you pull the door handle to get out - a better solution IMO.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 09:27 PM   #33
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

I like that the stereo keeps playing when I get out, open odors, and unload the car. Baffles me why people care if the power stays active for a few minutes. What's the harm? You don't have to push the stop button twice, only once.

Last edited by Nahoa; 01-28-2012 at 10:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 04:36 PM   #34
BMWs
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

Had our X3 35i at dealer to install hitch and mentioned about the throttle lag/jumpy throttle. The performed a TSB on it to reprogram the throttle. It is much improved with a more linear response now. I highly recommend getting it done. The info on my paperwork says SIB 24 02 12, DME EGS Software Calibration.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 04:45 PM   #35
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Thanks for the update. I googled the work order description and came across the following LINK
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 06:30 PM   #36
daeONE
Private
Rep
Drives: F15 35d Msport

Took delivery of our first 2012 in the middle of December. Definitely had throttle lag/feel issues. Just picked up our second 2012 last week (to replace the yellow one) and the throttle response is perfect. If my experience is any indication, seems that BMW has addressed the issue in just the last three months.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 08:48 PM   #37
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

That is a relief as it was the only issue on the car I expected to hate. My delivery is scheduled for end of April so I hope my car has the updated throttle mapping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daeONE View Post
Took delivery of our first 2012 in the middle of December. Definitely had throttle lag/feel issues. Just picked up our second 2012 last week (to replace the yellow one) and the throttle response is perfect. If my experience is any indication, seems that BMW has addressed the issue in just the last three months.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 08:57 PM   #38
adamandmikah
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 28i

Garage List
2012 BMW X3 28i  [0.00]
I took delivery of mine in early Feb (January Build) and it has the throttle problem. So...maybe just within the last 6 weeks?

My question is...if they know how to fix it...why not tell me (and everyone) about it?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 10:08 PM   #39
FX3OK
Private First Class
Rep

February 2012 build and I've experienced all issues with throttle as noted above......so it seems BMW doesn't give a rats ass...
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 02:26 AM   #40
mvitch
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i Alpine White

My 2012 X3 35i does not lurch. In fact it has the smoothest transmission I have ever driven. Just passed my first 1200 miles and lovin this car
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 11:06 AM   #41
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

The concern is the throttle mapping (initial tip-in) not the transmission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvitch View Post
My 2012 X3 35i does not lurch. In fact it has the smoothest transmission I have ever driven. Just passed my first 1200 miles and lovin this car
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 02:44 PM   #42
FX3OK
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh
The concern is the throttle mapping (initial tip-in) not the transmission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvitch View Post
+1
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 05:48 PM   #43
bcaz
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3 28i

Apparently the throttle is programmed to promote fuel economy in normal mode. If you're concerned about turning into traffic you can just toggle into Sport mode (and back of you like) which is even easier than shifting gears with a MT. The Sport throttle response is very nimble and capable of pulling some G's from a dead stop.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 06:52 PM   #44
roundtree
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 F25 28i SB

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [10.00]
2012 BMW X3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcaz View Post
Apparently the throttle is programmed to promote fuel economy in normal mode. If you're concerned about turning into traffic you can just toggle into Sport mode (and back of you like) which is even easier than shifting gears with a MT. The Sport throttle response is very nimble and capable of pulling some G's from a dead stop.
I have been driving with Auto Hold on more often and it does seem to help overcome the throttle damper enough to be noticeable. I didn't think so at first, but its much clearer now that I'm past 3000 miles.
Appreciate 0