BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-18-2020, 12:19 PM   #23
MichiganMike
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senilsson View Post
I just can't deal with a Toyota, Mazda etc. I'll rather have a repair once in a while.
I currently own a 2020 BMW X3 M40i, a 2016 BMW X3 35i and a 2018 Mazda3.
In the past I owned a 2009 Toyota Venza. While in my opinion most Toyota's are unexciting driving appliances, I would not put most Mazdas in this category. The Mazda CX-5 is not a BMW X3 F25, but it handles and performs better than you might expect.

Car & Driver in its review of the 2016 Mazda CX5 stated:
"The new CX-5 isn’t the quickest CUV in the segment, but it has the poise and agility of a sports sedan. Its ride is firm but not harsh with well-controlled body motions. The Mazda’s electrically boosted steering has just-right weighting, good on-center feel, and a natural buildup of effort in turns that feels positively (old-school) BMW-like."

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...d-test-review/

The Mazda CX-5 also came out on top of a Motor Trend comparison of nine 2016/2017 small crossovers. The review stated in part:
"Out on our road loops, the Mazda offered up engaging, sporty handling with little body roll and little in the way of harshness from poor-quality roads. This one is the sports car of the bunch..."
"The Mazda CX-5 with its 2.5-liter, 184-hp I-4 and six-speed automatic transmission impressed our drivers. This is the best engine here—linear power with plenty to give at both the bottom and top end. The CX-5's transmission earned praise for its quick, decisive shifts in its normal mode and for its willingness to let the four-banger sing to its redline in Sport mode."

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/mazd...ison-big-test/

If the budget is limited, I would consider a newer, well-equipped and maintained Mazda CX-5 over an older BMW X3 with an uncertain driving history and perhaps a dubious maintenance record and reliability.

Last edited by MichiganMike; 10-18-2020 at 07:50 PM..
Appreciate 3
      10-19-2020, 02:32 PM   #24
Greenman7612
Rep
Drives: 2000 BMW 740iL

Garage List
2017 BMW X3 si  [0.00]
2013 BMW 528ix  [0.00]
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgosma View Post
Greenman: are you referring to the breather hose connection or more than that?

I've done the valve cover on my N52, it's not a bad job; in my estimation the thing that makes it bit of a pain is the removal of the electrical harness from the fuel injectors; I was able to remove the valve cover with the harness in place but to reinstall the cover I had to get the harness out of the way- pulling off the small 'C' clips to release the connectors is tedious, but doable.

Bill
Bill, Yes, I think that breather hose was the issue I recall. It was right up against the firewall and I was worried about breaking the darn thing just as you caution against. I just took off the same hose on my E39 530i which looks to be the same type connection. I took that off with a pair of channel locks.
My concern was that the oil the PA inspection station saw was not from the valve cover but the vanos solenoid. So we did not change it for fear of breaking it! As it turns out, GEICO ended up giving my son enough money to buy another 2011 with 70k less miles (61k) and more options for $12,500. I had originally purchased the totaled one in Hollywood and shipped it to TX. It was a terrific vehicle!
I hope my current 2011 X3 goes 150k or more! Only 45k now.
Appreciate 1
Wgosma806.00
      10-21-2020, 12:46 PM   #25
HalfAnP
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 35i

OP,

We also purchased an F25 X3 due to a baby. It was a 2011 with a little over 80k miles back in February of 2017. Truth be told, I wasn't in the market for a BMW, but ended up with one by process of elimination. In a little over three years of ownership I've had to replace:

1- Starter - Died on me with no warning at work
2- Charge pipe - exploded on its own
3- High pressure fuel pump - zero warning. expensive fix
4 - LED drivers failed on BOTH taillights - common issue fixed with aftermarket drivers
5 - Oil filter housing gasket failed and was replaced
6- Random interior pieces: glovebox cover, driver's side grab handle, soft-touch material in the (pre-LCI) dashboard panels are failing or have failed

While replacing the HPFP (#3) this week I noticed a blue smear on my garage floor. That's the color of BMW coolant so I suspect the water pump might be on its way out. I'll be doing an oil change and pulling the undertray to inspect this weekend.

This leads to my next point. If I didn't have the tools, time, knowledge and willingness to do all of the above work myself this would be by a long shot the absolute worst car I've ever owned from a reliability and cost standpoint and it isn't even close. If I had to run to a dealer or an independent shop every time something went wrong I would've sold it long, LONG ago. That's the bad part. For comparison, we also have a 2006 Acura TL. I've spent maybe a quarter the amount I've spent on the X3 in terms of parts in 11 years of ownership.

The good part: this is by far the best driving vehicle I've owned. Getting on the gas when everything is happy is a superlative experience.

EDIT: commas

Last edited by HalfAnP; 10-21-2020 at 12:51 PM..
Appreciate 1
      10-21-2020, 02:04 PM   #26
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

HalfAnP: water pump..I looked at good BavAuto YouTube DIY video thinking I might do my WP (PM job when I hit 100K miles), ugh even with a lift it's not a pretty job to undertake- I have N52 motor, pump is at bottom front of motor, bear to get at- your car may be similar.

It's about $1400 Indy shop R&R cost, ugh!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 03:53 PM   #27
HalfAnP
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgosma View Post
HalfAnP: water pump..I looked at good BavAuto YouTube DIY video thinking I might do my WP (PM job when I hit 100K miles), ugh even with a lift it's not a pretty job to undertake- I have N52 motor, pump is at bottom front of motor, bear to get at- your car may be similar.

It's about $1400 Indy shop R&R cost, ugh!
I think the N52 and N55 are very similar. Pretty sure the pumps are in the same place

Since this was one of the common points of failure I studied the job and tried to familiarize myself before even deciding to buy the car. Even then, I'm sort of dreading it but I've done worse.

If there's a bright side its that the prices of the pumps have come down a bit since I bought the car, and there appears to have been one last revision in 2019 that hopefully increases the pump's reliability.
Appreciate 1
Wgosma806.00
      10-21-2020, 04:02 PM   #28
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I'm going to pay Mr Mechanic the big bucks for the pump work- at age 69 and no lift, well, it's just more than I'm willing to take on.
Appreciate 1
HalfAnP13.00
      10-21-2020, 04:14 PM   #29
andreigbs
Dr Drei
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3d

Garage List
'16 X3d  [0.00]
OP:

Since no one has opined on the F25 with the N47 diesel option, allow me.

This past January I bought a 2016 X3d with 49k miles on the clock. The only optional extras it has are adaptive LED headlamps. No Nav, sunroof, leather. It was a 1-owner lease return and would've been sold as a CPO except nobody wanted to pay the $25k dealer asking price. It eventually went to a small used car dealer where I found it and paid $19k out-the-door.

The diesel was a "must have" for me, as I was commuting 200 miles daily pre-COVID, in a highly uncomfortable and anemic '14 Jetta TDI. The X3 came with new brakes all around, original RFTs which I just recently ditched in favor of regular tyres (Kumho Ecsta PA51 ftw!). Other than 1 oil change, new air and fuel filters, it has not needed anything else.

It returns an average of 34-36 MPGs, rides beautifully on decent rubber and has plenty of room in the rear even for 2 grown adults. I searched nearly 3 months before I found a diesel-powered X3, they are extremely rare.

At the risk of heresy on these boards, you might also want to consider a 2012-2015 MB GLK. Living in Chicago the past several winters before moving to Wisconsin, I can assure you that you'll want one of the 4Matic options selling for $13-15K. Ours is also a Bluetec and hasn't given me any grief in the 3+ years we've owned it. I do all the maintenance on our little diesel fleet and so far, both are running strong. The Bluetec has 122K miles on it, the X3d has 62K.

Just another couple data points for your consideration. Good luck with your search.
      10-21-2020, 04:34 PM   #30
Senilsson
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Soon BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganMike View Post
I currently own a 2020 BMW X3 M40i, a 2016 BMW X3 35i and a 2018 Mazda3.
In the past I owned a 2009 Toyota Venza. While in my opinion most Toyota's are unexciting driving appliances, I would not put most Mazdas in this category. The Mazda CX-5 is not a BMW X3 F25, but it handles and performs better than you might expect.

Car & Driver in its review of the 2016 Mazda CX5 stated:
"The new CX-5 isn’t the quickest CUV in the segment, but it has the poise and agility of a sports sedan. Its ride is firm but not harsh with well-controlled body motions. The Mazda’s electrically boosted steering has just-right weighting, good on-center feel, and a natural buildup of effort in turns that feels positively (old-school) BMW-like."

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...d-test-review/

The Mazda CX-5 also came out on top of a Motor Trend comparison of nine 2016/2017 small crossovers. The review stated in part:
"Out on our road loops, the Mazda offered up engaging, sporty handling with little body roll and little in the way of harshness from poor-quality roads. This one is the sports car of the bunch..."
"The Mazda CX-5 with its 2.5-liter, 184-hp I-4 and six-speed automatic transmission impressed our drivers. This is the best engine here—linear power with plenty to give at both the bottom and top end. The CX-5's transmission earned praise for its quick, decisive shifts in its normal mode and for its willingness to let the four-banger sing to its redline in Sport mode."

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/mazd...ison-big-test/

If the budget is limited, I would consider a newer, well-equipped and maintained Mazda CX-5 over an older BMW X3 with an uncertain driving history and perhaps a dubious maintenance record and reliability.
I've considered the CX-5 but I think it's hideous and it's also rather small. I'm not sure the trunk space is enough for our needs. Thanks for the well thought out suggestion though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfAnP View Post
OP,

We also purchased an F25 X3 due to a baby. It was a 2011 with a little over 80k miles back in February of 2017. Truth be told, I wasn't in the market for a BMW, but ended up with one by process of elimination. In a little over three years of ownership I've had to replace:

1- Starter - Died on me with no warning at work
2- Charge pipe - exploded on its own
3- High pressure fuel pump - zero warning. expensive fix
4 - LED drivers failed on BOTH taillights - common issue fixed with aftermarket drivers
5 - Oil filter housing gasket failed and was replaced
6- Random interior pieces: glovebox cover, driver's side grab handle, soft-touch material in the (pre-LCI) dashboard panels are failing or have failed

While replacing the HPFP (#3) this week I noticed a blue smear on my garage floor. That's the color of BMW coolant so I suspect the water pump might be on its way out. I'll be doing an oil change and pulling the undertray to inspect this weekend.

This leads to my next point. If I didn't have the tools, time, knowledge and willingness to do all of the above work myself this would be by a long shot the absolute worst car I've ever owned from a reliability and cost standpoint and it isn't even close. If I had to run to a dealer or an independent shop every time something went wrong I would've sold it long, LONG ago. That's the bad part. For comparison, we also have a 2006 Acura TL. I've spent maybe a quarter the amount I've spent on the X3 in terms of parts in 11 years of ownership.

The good part: this is by far the best driving vehicle I've owned. Getting on the gas when everything is happy is a superlative experience.

EDIT: commas
That's not great.. How many miles do you have on it?
Thanks for sharing

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreigbs View Post
OP:

Since no one has opined on the F25 with the N47 diesel option, allow me.

This past January I bought a 2016 X3d with 49k miles on the clock. The only optional extras it has are adaptive LED headlamps. No Nav, sunroof, leather. It was a 1-owner lease return and would've been sold as a CPO except nobody wanted to pay the $25k dealer asking price. It eventually went to a small used car dealer where I found it and paid $19k out-the-door.

The diesel was a "must have" for me, as I was commuting 200 miles daily pre-COVID, in a highly uncomfortable and anemic '14 Jetta TDI. The X3 came with new brakes all around, original RFTs which I just recently ditched in favor of regular tyres (Kumho Ecsta PA51 ftw!). Other than 1 oil change, new air and fuel filters, it has not needed anything else.

It returns an average of 34-36 MPGs, rides beautifully on decent rubber and has plenty of room in the rear even for 2 grown adults. I searched nearly 3 months before I found a diesel-powered X3, they are extremely rare.

At the risk of heresy on these boards, you might also want to consider a 2012-2015 MB GLK. Living in Chicago the past several winters before moving to Wisconsin, I can assure you that you'll want one of the 4Matic options selling for $13-15K. Ours is also a Bluetec and hasn't given me any grief in the 3+ years we've owned it. I do all the maintenance on our little diesel fleet and so far, both are running strong. The Bluetec has 122K miles on it, the X3d has 62K.

Just another couple data points for your consideration. Good luck with your search.
As a European I never understood why there were no diesels here in America. I used to own a 2016 520d with the N47 and it was an awesome machine. I got 45 MPG out of that thing. Really reliable except a few things past 2011.

This will be my third winter in Chicago and I used to live in Sweden before which had waaay more snow. I've never had AWD and I don't understand why people keep insisting on it. All that's needed are good tires. Never got stuck with my FWD Volvo or my RWD BMW.
I actually kinda like the GLK but my wife hates it for some reason. The ML is really cool too but it's HUGE.

(Well there was one time lol )
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 04:46 PM   #31
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

As a European I never understood why there were no diesels here in America. I used to own a 2016 520d with the N47 and it was an awesome machine. I got 45 MPG out of that thing. Really reliable except a few things past 2011.
My sense is that large proportion of Americans still think of diesel engines as noisy, loud and producing tons of smelly smoke in spite of that fact that that has not been the case for many many years. And if I recall correctly, there were, many many years a while back in the States, when diesel fuel's cost was $1.00/gallon or even bit more costly than gasoline.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 04:55 PM   #32
HalfAnP
Rep

Quote:

That's not great.. How many miles do you have on it?
Thanks for sharing

I was just in it, exactly 130924.

I bought this specific F25 because it had impeccable maintenance records. It'd been dealership maintained its entire life up to that point. Also, it was fully loaded save for the adaptive suspension and it was a screaming deal.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 09:16 PM   #33
Senilsson
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfAnP View Post
I was just in it, exactly 130924.

I bought this specific F25 because it had impeccable maintenance records. It'd been dealership maintained its entire life up to that point. Also, it was fully loaded save for the adaptive suspension and it was a screaming deal.
Ok well, honestly it’s a bit much but it’s not crazy bad for a 9 year old car with 134000 miles that’s been driven from 80k and during 3 years.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 04:26 PM   #34
andreigbs
Dr Drei
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3d

Garage List
'16 X3d  [0.00]
Quote:

This will be my third winter in Chicago and I used to live in Sweden before which had waaay more snow. I've never had AWD and I don't understand why people keep insisting on it. All that's needed are good tires. Never got stuck with my FWD Volvo or my RWD BMW.
I actually kinda like the GLK but my wife hates it for some reason. The ML is really cool too but it's HUGE.
As a fellow European, 95% of my cars to date have been diesel-powered. This X3d is returning 36+ MPGs as of recently. You can't beat that with anything else this size with AWD.

Speaking of AWD, it may not be absolutely necessary but it does help. Agreed that if you live in the snow belt, it's in your best interest to have snow tires or at least excellent all-season tires. Have yet to get stuck myself.

Yeah, the GLK is kind of love-it-or-hate-it styling, and my wife loves it We tried the ML250 Bluetec but it was a little too large for us as well. It does ride very nicely though.
      10-22-2020, 04:51 PM   #35
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
If you compare the price of fuel in the US vs Europe, you should understand why a diesel is not in high demand in the US.
Quote:
I've done my fair share of driving in snow and when there are only mild hills, 2WD, especially with winter tires, can do pretty well, but once the hills get steeper, the AWD really shines and leaves the 2WD behind. Also many parts of the US don't get snow often enough to justify a set of winter tires so running AWD with all seasons will get you through most conditions. And if you've ever gotten stuck in an ice storm, you'll really wish you had AWD. Is AWD a necessity? no, but it does have its advantages in certain situations.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 05:48 PM   #36
MichiganMike
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
I've considered the CX-5 but I think it's hideous and it's also rather small. I'm not sure the trunk space is enough for our needs.
I understand if you think the CX-5 is hideous, it is likely not a vehicle you will or should consider.

However, if trunk space is the concern, it appears a used CX5 will provide comparable trunk space to the F25 X3. A search directed to the 2016 CX-5 indicates it has has cargo space of 34 cubic feet with the back seat up and 65 cubic feet with the back seat down. The re-design in 2017 modified the CX-5 cargo space specs to 30.9 cubic feet back seat up and 59.6 when it is down. A similar search for the 2016 BMW X3 reveals a cargo space of 27.6 cubic feet with the second seat up and 63.3 cubic feet with the seat down.

The F25 X3 is about 5 inches longer than the CX5 as well as an inch or two wider. However, because of the longer engine compartment in the X3, the CX5 actually has more leg room in both the front and rear seats. There is less shoulder and hip room in the CX5 both front and rear and perhaps an inch less head room in the front seats.

Last edited by MichiganMike; 10-27-2020 at 07:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 08:58 AM   #37
Senilsson
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
If you compare the price of fuel in the US vs Europe, you should understand why a diesel is not in high demand in the US.

I've done my fair share of driving in snow and when there are only mild hills, 2WD, especially with winter tires, can do pretty well, but once the hills get steeper, the AWD really shines and leaves the 2WD behind. Also many parts of the US don't get snow often enough to justify a set of winter tires so running AWD with all seasons will get you through most conditions. And if you've ever gotten stuck in an ice storm, you'll really wish you had AWD. Is AWD a necessity? no, but it does have its advantages in certain situations.
Fair enough! With an office job, a heated indoor garage and living in downtown Chicago though I don't run in to that situation very often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganMike View Post
I understand if you think the CX-5 is hideous, it is likely not a vehicle you will or should consider.

However, if trunk space is the concern, it appears a used CX5 will provide comparable trunk space to the F25 X3. A search directed to the 2016 CX-5 indicates it has has cargo space of 34 cubic feet with the back seat up and 65 cubic feet with the back seat down. The re-design in 2017 reduced the CX-5 cargo space specs to 30.9 cubic feet back seat up and 59.6 when it is down. A similar search for the 2016 BMW X3 reveals a cargo space of 27.6 cubic feet with the second seat up and 63.3 cubic feet with the seat down.

The F25 X3 is about 5 inches longer than the CX5 as well as an inch or two wider. However, because of the longer engine compartment in the X3, the CX5 actually has more leg room in both the front and rear seats. There is less shoulder and hip room in the CX5 both front and rear and perhaps an inch less head room in the front seats.
Just looked it up, you're right. The CX-5 is a lot bigger than I thought. The 2011 Tiguan we looked at has a 7" narrower cargo space which makes a big difference. Looking at the Tiguan and the CX5 you would think they have pretty much the same space but it's a noticeable difference.
I appreciate the advice but we're more likely to buy a bigger sedan than a asian or american SUV or CUV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreigbs View Post
As a fellow European, 95% of my cars to date have been diesel-powered. This X3d is returning 36+ MPGs as of recently. You can't beat that with anything else this size with AWD.

Speaking of AWD, it may not be absolutely necessary but it does help. Agreed that if you live in the snow belt, it's in your best interest to have snow tires or at least excellent all-season tires. Have yet to get stuck myself.

Yeah, the GLK is kind of love-it-or-hate-it styling, and my wife loves it We tried the ML250 Bluetec but it was a little too large for us as well. It does ride very nicely though.
Yea, the MPG is definitely unbeatable for the size of car. I wish diesel was more common here but not sure if it would make sense for us to get.
My wife hates the GLK for some reason lol but really likes the ML. It seems to be reliable but it's even pricier than the X3 and I don't want to know what tires and brakes cost to replace.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 05:31 PM   #38
FranzX3M
Private
Rep
Drives: '13 X3M

stay away from early N20. N55 is better in all respects expect maybe a bit of fuel consumption. X3 F25 is very reliable and Consumer Choice top pick. OEM parts are expensive but use aftermarket where available. Water pumps has to be replaced every 60k-80k and expensive. If not handy find a good local mechanic who knows BMWs. Never go to the stealer unless nobody else can help you. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 10:47 AM   #39
Senilsson
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranzX3M View Post
stay away from early N20. N55 is better in all respects expect maybe a bit of fuel consumption. X3 F25 is very reliable and Consumer Choice top pick. OEM parts are expensive but use aftermarket where available. Water pumps has to be replaced every 60k-80k and expensive. If not handy find a good local mechanic who knows BMWs. Never go to the stealer unless nobody else can help you. Good luck.
Yes, I will look for a six cylinder X3. I'm fine with water pump or some other repair if it comes to it. Honestly, a used Lexus with similar miles and age as a BMW is way more $$$$ so I'd rather just use that money for repairs and drive a BMW..
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 12:49 PM   #40
evilchargerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 (N55), 2014 I01 (REX)

Quote:
a used Lexus with similar miles and age as a BMW is way more $$$$ so I'd rather just use that money for repairs and drive a BMW..

heh, my thoughts exactly!

sure, a little more spent on maint / repairs, but the vehicle price point is so low

(disclaimer, I was a huge lexus and toyota fan boy)
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2020, 04:45 AM   #41
Senilsson
Private
United_States
Rep

Talking

Alright, everybody. Some good news, my Volvo has been sold and will be gone by the end of next week most likely and the replacement will be bought asap when it has left my possession. I've also been able to get a 35% raise which significantly helps!
Now, I'm not going to go crazy but it allows some more flexibility and I just want to show you a couple of cars that may or may not be available in a week or two but just to show you where my mind is so I can get your thoughts.

2011 xDrive35i
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...4686/overview/
Pros - Correct color combination, xenon, nice wheels, 35i engine, low miles at 59k, has all the equipment we need, it's local
Cons - It's rather expensive for a 2011? Not sure if miles > age but would be nice to get it under $15k. Also at a dealership so the sales tax is 9.5% (used car from private seller would be something like $85 in comparison)

2011 xDrive35i
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...0211/overview/
Pros - Great color combination (wife prefers white but honestly it does not matter), xenon, nice wheels, 35i engine, low miles at 53k, it's local.. (Pretty much the same as above)
Cons - Again, same as the car above. No backup camera though? Honestly not the end of the world but resale value might hurt in the future.. A little pricey. Maybe I can pit these dealerships against eachother.

2011 xDrive28i
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...40502920288121
Pros - Good color combination, xenon, nice wheels, 28i engine, looks super clean for the miles, private seller and somewhat local. This would probably be around $5-6000 cheaper than the cars above.
Cons - 28i engine I guess you could say, but honestly living in downtown Chicago I don't really care about the power, the miles are high at 110k but if I can get it cheap I don't mind a repair here or there.

2011 xDrive28i
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...42220695906929
Pros - OK color combination, xenon, 28i engine, cheap, low miles, well equipped
Cons - A bit of a drive but that's fine, looks OK but has some moisture in the roof? Also the wheels are super ugly, I know they can be replaced but it's added cost and effort.

What are your opinions? Obviously buying a cheaper car is always nicer but I don't want to be left disappointed.
The perfect car would be newer of course but finding it difficult to find anything and I'm fine with travelling.
Input is appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2020, 07:45 AM   #42
brave-heart
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 x5 45e, 2012 x3 35i

Quote:
Alright, everybody. Some good news, my Volvo has been sold and will be gone by the end of next week most likely and the replacement will be bought asap when it has left my possession. I've also been able to get a 35% raise which significantly helps!
Now, I'm not going to go crazy but it allows some more flexibility and I just want to show you a couple of cars that may or may not be available in a week or two but just to show you where my mind is so I can get your thoughts.

2011 xDrive35i
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...4686/overview/
Pros - Correct color combination, xenon, nice wheels, 35i engine, low miles at 59k, has all the equipment we need, it's local
Cons - It's rather expensive for a 2011? Not sure if miles > age but would be nice to get it under $15k. Also at a dealership so the sales tax is 9.5% (used car from private seller would be something like $85 in comparison)

2011 xDrive35i
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...0211/overview/
Pros - Great color combination (wife prefers white but honestly it does not matter), xenon, nice wheels, 35i engine, low miles at 53k, it's local.. (Pretty much the same as above)
Cons - Again, same as the car above. No backup camera though? Honestly not the end of the world but resale value might hurt in the future.. A little pricey. Maybe I can pit these dealerships against eachother.

2011 xDrive28i
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...40502920288121
Pros - Good color combination, xenon, nice wheels, 28i engine, looks super clean for the miles, private seller and somewhat local. This would probably be around $5-6000 cheaper than the cars above.
Cons - 28i engine I guess you could say, but honestly living in downtown Chicago I don't really care about the power, the miles are high at 110k but if I can get it cheap I don't mind a repair here or there.

2011 xDrive28i
Cons - A bit of a drive but that's fine, looks OK but has some moisture in the roof? Also the wheels are super ugly, I know they can be replaced but it's added cost and effort.

What are your opinions? Obviously buying a cheaper car is always nicer but I don't want to be left disappointed.
The perfect car would be newer of course but finding it difficult to find anything and I'm fine with travelling.
Input is appreciated!
The second one looks much better to me. 35i engine, sport package (which is important for 2011 model that gave you sport seat, driver mode selector for sport/sport plus, and wheel mounted paddle shifters). The sport seat is much better than normal one. After 2013, I believe you can only get the sport seat/paddle shifter on m-sport package.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2020, 08:23 AM   #43
Senilsson
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brave-heart View Post
The second one looks much better to me. 35i engine, sport package (which is important for 2011 model that gave you sport seat, driver mode selector for sport/sport plus, and wheel mounted paddle shifters). The sport seat is much better than normal one. After 2013, I believe you can only get the sport seat/paddle shifter on m-sport package.
Ok, but the first one also has the 35i engine (which really, I don't need but not gonna complain about)
Is the sport seat more important than other equipment such as backup camera from a resale pov?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2020, 08:48 AM   #44
Barbera335
Captain
Rep
Drives: F25

Quote:
2011 xDrive28i

Input is appreciated!
Hmm, I have those wheels on my car and I happen to really like them. Also, being a streamline wheel they help with aerodynamics and boost fuel economy, however small. Also, they are a somewhat rare wheel on these vehicles as they were only available for 2 years on 28i vehicles. I think the cheaper car is your best bet provided maintenance records are available. Whatever you decide to get, always have a prepurchase inspection done. N52 engine should be the most reliable as well. My N52 has been flawless with 121,000 miles on it. I have owned it since new.
Appreciate 0