BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-28-2019, 08:01 PM   #1
Ejryan10
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X3 XDrive28i

2016 X3 Volume Knob Issue

Hey guys,
Recently I started having issues with my volume knob in my x28i. Lately I've found that when I go to either turn the volume up/down or click in on the knob to mute the radio, it will switch my audio source from either the radio to my Bluetooth/aux input or vice versa. Today I realized it's mainly if I accidentally wiggle the knob from side to side or up and down, even slightly, while turning the volume up or down/clicking to mute. Any ideas what's going on? I'm starting to worry this car has some electrical issues as I've had other issues as well, such as my radio switching to AM radio when turning the car on even though I had Satellite radio playing before I shut the car off, as well as my tailgate seeming to randomly open from time to time. Really hoping these aren't signs of a massively expensive fix. Any help appreciated!

Thanks,
Nas4atu
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 07:32 PM   #2
Ejryan10
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejryan10 View Post
Hey guys,
Recently I started having issues with my volume knob in my x28i. Lately I've found that when I go to either turn the volume up/down or click in on the knob to mute the radio, it will switch my audio source from either the radio to my Bluetooth/aux input or vice versa. Today I realized it's mainly if I accidentally wiggle the knob from side to side or up and down, even slightly, while turning the volume up or down/clicking to mute. Any ideas what's going on? I'm starting to worry this car has some electrical issues as I've had other issues as well, such as my radio switching to AM radio when turning the car on even though I had Satellite radio playing before I shut the car off, as well as my tailgate seeming to randomly open from time to time. Really hoping these aren't signs of a massively expensive fix. Any help appreciated!

Thanks,
Nas4atu
Any help appreciated
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 09:31 PM   #3
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

I assume you are out of warranty? I don't think I've read of anybody else having that issue in the 2.5 years I've been on here so you may not get too much help. If you have not, try more broadly googling the issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 08:34 AM   #4
Ejryan10
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
I assume you are out of warranty? I don't think I've read of anybody else having that issue in the 2.5 years I've been on here so you may not get too much help. If you have not, try more broadly googling the issue.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I bought the car used as well, so the warranty didn't transfer over anyway I don't think. I've googled the issue as well and haven't found anything, so I'm assuming it's an electrical issue. Quick follow up question as well, the Band button to the left of the volume knob, is that suppose to do anything when you press it? Mine doesn't click in like the other buttons on that row, it feels like it's just a hard plastic button. If I press it really hard, it'll again switch from my radio to aux input. I'm seriously worried this is a first in a long line of future electrical issues...
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 07:37 AM   #5
Ejryan10
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejryan10 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I bought the car used as well, so the warranty didn't transfer over anyway I don't think. I've googled the issue as well and haven't found anything, so I'm assuming it's an electrical issue. Quick follow up question as well, the Band button to the left of the volume knob, is that suppose to do anything when you press it? Mine doesn't click in like the other buttons on that row, it feels like it's just a hard plastic button. If I press it really hard, it'll again switch from my radio to aux input. I'm seriously worried this is a first in a long line of future electrical issues...
So a mini update. Yesterday it was pissing me off so bad I ended up giving it an ol' Fonzi bang right under the volume knob and it seems to have quit...for now.
Appreciate 0