BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-10-2019, 01:39 PM   #23
TheCoolX3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X3 35i M-Sport

Garage List
Congrats! I wish you cool temps and high psi

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebro View Post
Good to know on the battery, I will do that in the future. Flashing back to stock and locking appeared to get rid of any traces, because I got the warranty approved!

I think the SAs at this dealership are pretty easy on mods though. Should have her up and running tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 02:05 PM   #24
agentorange
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328d

Quote:
Nah, just once it cools down, so roughly October-March. In summertime it's wicked easy to get heatsoak on the stock IC and a stock tune alone.
So an X3 with the big motor is underesourced in the intercooler department. Good to know.

Last edited by agentorange; 01-18-2019 at 12:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 08:44 PM   #25
ThomasR
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 X3 M40i

Garage List
Are you still running stock plugs?

What engine oil are you using?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 06:24 AM   #26
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Update: Definitely a turbo failure. Dealership is taking apart and said if they find any reason my aftermarket parts caused it, they cannot warranty. At this point it sounds like we're good (though I'm still cautious).

I don't think a BMS intake, FTP chargepipe, and VRSF downpipe would cause a turbo failure
You forgot to mention your BootMod3 tune in that line.

If it's apparent that you had all those mods, I don't see how BMW would warranty a failed turbo in your case.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 08:42 AM   #27
Riick
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Did they warranty it?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 10:14 AM   #28
doodlebro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
Are you still running stock plugs?

What engine oil are you using?
Yep, still stock plugs, but unsure whether they will replace them or not since she's not buttoned up yet. I have some NGK 97506's ready for a bigger turbo, I just don't know if I want PS1 or PS2.

0W-30 BMW oil while I got the free changes. Ironically, that day I had done an oil change and switched to Rotella T6 (5W-40) but I'd put about 150 miles on that oil prior to the failure, so I don't think it was related. From what I can tell, oil was pushing past both seals really badly and the turbine was turning, but couldn't built any boost due to the oil coming through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
You forgot to mention your BootMod3 tune in that line.

If it's apparent that you had all those mods, I don't see how BMW would warranty a failed turbo in your case.
Car software was stock before it was brought in, and they just couldn't find anything that had come off any of those parts and potentially caused damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riick View Post
Did they warranty it?
Yep, should be back together today.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 07:03 PM   #29
ThomasR
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Yep, still stock plugs, but unsure whether they will replace them or not since she's not buttoned up yet. I have some NGK 97506's ready for a bigger turbo, I just don't know if I want PS1 or PS2.

0W-30 BMW oil while I got the free changes. Ironically, that day I had done an oil change and switched to Rotella T6 (5W-40) but I'd put about 150 miles on that oil prior to the failure, so I don't think it was related. From what I can tell, oil was pushing past both seals really badly and the turbine was turning, but couldn't built any boost due to the oil coming through.

Car software was stock before it was brought in, and they just couldn't find anything that had come off any of those parts and potentially caused damage.

Did you install the FTP pipes? If you have a leak in the pipes (couplings) the turbo will have to work extra hard to maintain boost levels.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 10:48 PM   #30
doodlebro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
Did you install the FTP pipes? If you have a leak in the pipes (couplings) the turbo will have to work extra hard to maintain boost levels.
I only have the charge pipe side installed but there are no leaks. I think the turbo was gonna die one way or another, hoping the next one is bulletproof before I upgrade!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 02:44 PM   #31
doodlebro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Fun little update... They called me and said now they found fin damage on the turbo, which will likely be blamed on my BMS intake and warranty not honored. Anybody dealt with this before? I'm going to really pester them to prove something flew off my intake, which I doubt happened cause these filters are rock solid. Also ridiculous that they said the warranty would work out and they're suddenly taking it back.

Should have installed the stock filter when I brought her home...
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 03:23 PM   #32
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
Fun little update... They called me and said now they found fin damage on the turbo, which will likely be blamed on my BMS intake and warranty not honored. Anybody dealt with this before? I'm going to really pester them to prove something flew off my intake, which I doubt happened cause these filters are rock solid. Also ridiculous that they said the warranty would work out and they're suddenly taking it back.

Should have installed the stock filter when I brought her home...
Your car had all the hallmarks of a tuned vehicle - aftermarket intercooler, charge pipe, and down pipe. I was surprised when they were going to warranty it but it seems like they've come to their senses or have realized that BMW NA may audit your warranty work.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 03:44 PM   #33
Riick
Banned
United_States
Rep

BMW will audit fin damage and they'll instantly blame the aftermarket parts.... because... the aftermarket parts are the cause of your fin damage.

On a factory car, there's absolutely zero possibility of FOD damage to the turbo so it's not a warranty issue. It's owner abuse and abuse is not covered by warranty.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 04:17 PM   #34
doodlebro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

A filter (expecially BMS) doesn't just fail suddenly after 45K miles without issues... They're going to have a hard time proving the filter caused the issue unless there are pieces missing from the filter, or an obvious hole in the filter media itself. Barring those two things I fail to see how the filter would contribute to fin damage.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 05:16 AM   #35
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
A filter (expecially BMS) doesn't just fail suddenly after 45K miles without issues... They're going to have a hard time proving the filter caused the issue unless there are pieces missing from the filter, or an obvious hole in the filter media itself. Barring those two things I fail to see how the filter would contribute to fin damage.
At the end of the day, they could blame it on a whole host of aftermarket modifications you made. Increased boost from tune could cause premature turbo failure, etc.

I don't think you're going to win this one. It's best to keep the powertrain stock until the warranty period is over. Or just buy a faster car to begin with.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 12:34 PM   #36
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riick View Post
You can call me names, but I'm not the one with a broken engine and a denied warranty claim because I installed eBay tuner parts on my BMW that broke it causing $5000-$20,000 in damage.

Next time leave it stock.
Or just buy a faster stock car to begin with.
Appreciate 1
Riick135.50
      01-16-2019, 01:19 PM   #37
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F25 E91 Audi Avnt E90 Cayenne

Actually, almost none car makers will close their eyes on mods knowing that they need to repair the car under warranty. Especially if its not a common issue.

I understand there's common sens such as custom brake calipers and a blown engine...But an intake with a damaged fin, well I wont be surprised if they dont do a thing.

Im about on 12 forums since years, and rule no1 is to bring the car stock at the dealer, even for a oil change.

Audi even throw in the garbage my magnetic oil drain plug, stating to not put this on a car under warranty , and next time they will give me a TD1 (engine/trans warranty void).
Note that they dont care about the exhaust tho, if I keep the oem cat.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 02:09 PM   #38
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oVeRdOsE. View Post
Actually, almost none car makers will close their eyes on mods knowing that they need to repair the car under warranty. Especially if its not a common issue.

I understand there's common sens such as custom brake calipers and a blown engine...But an intake with a damaged fin, well I wont be surprised if they dont do a thing.

Im about on 12 forums since years, and rule no1 is to bring the car stock at the dealer, even for a oil change.

Audi even throw in the garbage my magnetic oil drain plug, stating to not put this on a car under warranty , and next time they will give me a TD1 (engine/trans warranty void).
Note that they dont care about the exhaust tho, if I keep the oem cat.
I assume that's going to be too much of a PITA to remove and reinstall a CP and down pipe every time the car needs to go into the dealership.

That's why I would keep the powertrain completely stock.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 02:10 PM   #39
x3sm
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 E93 Porsche

Why is that there is so much bashing going on these forums? Who wants to come on a car forum asking for help and advice and get bashed? People will still do whatever they want with their cars. Your efforts in trying to teach people to stay stock will be useless. People will risk their warranties if they want to, that is their problem. BMW is not really the most reliable car out there, if someone wanted a reliable car they would buy a Lexus. If you cant afford to keep your BMW past its warranty, you cant afford it at all. Either have money to fix it, or learn to fix it yourself.

I personally do not see anything wrong with modifying cars if done right with quality parts. We do not know what caused the damage to OP's turbo, it could have been an aftermarket part or some bizarre one-off incident that was not his fault. So unless we know for sure, lets not assume anything.

OP, hope your car does not have further damage, if I were you I'd go with PS1. Next time remove your aftermarket parts before going to the dealer. Also I don't know how you went in there with a cat-less down pipe and not get flagged, thats a $5k fine lol.
AUDI S4: SOLD
BMW E92 335: SOLD
Appreciate 1
scostu1623.00
      01-16-2019, 03:39 PM   #40
doodlebro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Little more info here, this gets stranger the more I learn.

The fin damage is on the exhaust side, so I'm really at a loss as to how a catless downpipe, aluminum chargepipe, and BMS intake would cause that. Gave BMW NA a call to look into it... I'm really just looking for evidence that my parts caused the failure, because I'm putting it all back together minus the bunk turbo.

Regardless, I've ordered Pure stage 2 to replace it and I should have everything together in the coming weeks. Will probably take pictures of the install, I'm not doing it but we have a local guy here who is great.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 03:55 PM   #41
Riick
Banned
United_States
Rep

I've owned and worked on turbo cars since I was 16, I'm 36 now.

Fin damage to the turbine wheel is usually always caused by high EGT. The cause of why this happened is your BM3 Stage 2 tune. Your at 5-6000k feet and that tune is for sea level. Bolt another turbo on and you’ll do exactly the same thing. There’s a very high chance you have valvetrain and piston damage, you blew your motor up with an improper tune.

Last edited by Riick; 01-16-2019 at 04:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 05:02 PM   #42
x3sm
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 E93 Porsche

doodlebro Did you log any pulls or have anyone check your logs? Also who installed your downpipe, maybe they bent a fin?
AUDI S4: SOLD
BMW E92 335: SOLD
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 05:34 PM   #43
doodlebro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3sm View Post
doodlebro Did you log any pulls or have anyone check your logs? Also who installed your downpipe, maybe they bent a fin?
I have a log of the pull that killed it actually. I also have a couple of logs from 10 minutes before that. Here's the log of the limp: http://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5c32f401ae729b65449650ba

Here's a long one, I probably ended this a minute or two before the limp: http://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5c32f3feae729b65449650b9

I installed the downpipe, checked those fins myself and didn't find any problems with them, or play in the turbo. Downpipe had probably 3-4000 miles on it without issues and then this happened. That's why this is all so weird. Local mechanic I'm working with says he's seen a piece that comes off the DV that can cause this, but BMW didn't say they found anything like that. I'll probably have a look in the exhaust when I get her back.

I had low-moderate burbles, perplexed if that weakened the fins. Seems unlikely given that burble problems are rare as is. Probably won't run any burble when I install the PS2 turbo either way.

Motor is fine, leakdown test showed no issues there. Just need to get all these parts in and we'll have her up and running in no time!

Last edited by doodlebro; 01-16-2019 at 05:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 07:40 AM   #44
TheCoolX3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X3 35i M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
I had low-moderate burbles, perplexed if that weakened the fins. Seems unlikely given that burble problems are rare as is. Probably won't run any burble when I install the PS2 turbo either way.
Get a custom tune for the burbles, tuner can make sure that all expansion happens in the exhaust not turbo. Takes most if not all of the risk out. I doubt it was the burbles though. I've had a flame tune and gunshot burble tune on my car for ~4k miles. Checked my fins a few weeks ago - No shaft play, no fin damage, spun freely.

...Now if only I could get my damn wastegate to stop hissing

Last edited by TheCoolX3; 01-17-2019 at 08:59 AM..
Appreciate 0