BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-03-2020, 04:29 PM   #1
BMWfan73
Lord of Glencoe
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 xDrive35i M-Sport

Screen restoration?

I don't know what the previous owner used to "clean" the display but as you can see from the photo, it's been damaged or ruined to some degree. Honestly, I only notice this when the display is off. It doesn't seem to affect the image when on, and most people will probably say to just ignore it. However, my OCD won't let me stop noticing it and it's ugly. Is there anything that can be done to restore it, short of completely replacing the unit? [IMG]undefined[/IMG]
Attached Images

12-03-2020, 05:01 PM   #2
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Yeah, that screen is pretty messed up, the anti-glare coating is very fragile. If you can get it all off (try 90% rubbing alcohol) and the screen under was not damaged, you'll be left with a glare screen. Just apply an anti-glare screen protector and it will look as good as new.

Last edited by pungo; 12-03-2020 at 10:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 09:58 PM   #3
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

On an X3 there is less issue because of the fact that sun never hits the screen in its little cave in the dash, but there is no substitute for the factory anti-glare finish. I know this from experience. There is no true anti-glare screen protector, and they are very difficult to install w/o air bubbles or trapped dust. They degrade the image somewhat because the anti-glare is just a rough surface like frosted glass and they are kinda shiny anyway. If you are OCD, forget it and get a new screen. In my convertible, I am on my third screen. It had just two scratches when I bought it, but they showed like crazy with the top down. I tried various protectors and they were a joke, so I bought a new screen. Then I had some hail damage repaired and the shop "detailed" my interior as a "service" and scratched it again. I made them replace it.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 10:33 PM   #4
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
Yeah, that screen is pretty messed up, the anti-glare coating is very fragile. If you can get it all off (try 90% rubbing alcohol) and the screen under was not damaged, you'll be left with a glare screen. Just apply an anti-glare screen protector and it will look as good as new.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
On an X3 there is less issue because of the fact that sun never hits the screen in its little cave in the dash, but there is no substitute for the factory anti-glare finish. I know this from experience. There is no true anti-glare screen protector, and they are very difficult to install w/o air bubbles or trapped dust. They degrade the image somewhat because the anti-glare is just a rough surface like frosted glass and they are kinda shiny anyway. If you are OCD, forget it and get a new screen. In my convertible, I am on my third screen. It had just two scratches when I bought it, but they showed like crazy with the top down. I tried various protectors and they were a joke, so I bought a new screen. Then I had some hail damage repaired and the shop "detailed" my interior as a "service" and scratched it again. I made them replace it.
True, for those that are not familiar with the proper technique to correctly install a screen protector, trapping dust and air bubbles under the surface, you're better off to not install one.

For those that know how to properly install one, a quality anti-glare screen protector will make your old scratched screen look 100 times better. There may be a minuscule loss of clarity using a anti-glare finish compared to gloss finish, but it's worth it not to see reflections from a glossy screen, besides, it's not like these are high resolution screens to begin with.

I worked for a company that manufacturers high end portable telecommunication test equipment and many of the field techs applied anti-glare screen protectors on their $100K equipment with high resolution screens to reduce glare since many times they use them outdoors.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 05:00 PM   #5
littleob
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e36ic, 2013 x3

cleaned up nicely

I had a similar issue with my used 2013 x3 when i bought it last year. I removed my screen and used a mix of 1oz vinegar and 10oz water to clean it. It took a lot of work but the screen came back very nicely. All in all it took about 15 minutes to remove the screen then 45 minutes of rubbing and wiping and another 15 to re install. I would suggest trying it before to save you some $$
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 09:18 PM   #6
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleob View Post
I had a similar issue with my used 2013 x3 when i bought it last year. I removed my screen and used a mix of 1oz vinegar and 10oz water to clean it. It took a lot of work but the screen came back very nicely. All in all it took about 15 minutes to remove the screen then 45 minutes of rubbing and wiping and another 15 to re install. I would suggest trying it before to save you some $$
Your post is a bit ambiguous. What were you removing with vinegar and water? The remnants of the factory anti-glare coating or something else? If you removed the coating, your screen will look pristine, but very shiny.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 09:19 AM   #7
littleob
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e36ic, 2013 x3

not sure what I was cleaning off I didn't have it tested. All I am saying is to try and clean it before replacing it. Mine looked like shit, scratches and hazy.. An hour of work and it looks like new. No issues seeing the screen it clean
Appreciate 0