BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-21-2020, 05:14 AM   #1
AlexF25
X3 Newbie
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 F25 X3 xdrive28i

Coils for F25 N52

Looking to replace stock Bosch coils in my '11 F25 with N52. Trying to decide which brand, Bosch vs. Delphi vs. Eldor.

Researched (forums and youtube) and found that Eldor seems to be the latest OEM (and presumably better) coil for BMWs, but the vehicles discussed appeared to be for N54/N55 engines and couldn't definitively find if it will work for the F25 with the N52. The Eldor coils are not listed as an option on FCP Euro & AutohausAZ. Searched the Eldor coils and both sites list them as as Not Fitting my vehicle. So that leads me to believe my choices are between Bosch vs. Delphi. Has anyone used the Eldor on their N52 or know someone who has?

Since Delphi coils superseded the Bosch, I was initially leaning towards Delphi until I noticed they are made in China, which makes me lean toward the Bosch (Made in Slovenia). Also read a few forum posts and Amazon reviews where the Delphi coils failed after few months and/or few thousand miles, which further leans me towards the Bosch coils.

What are your thoughts on which to get? The Bosch and Delphi coils are about $23-$25/each so price between the two not really a factor and don't want to pay the Genuine BMW tax of approx. $60/each.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 01:38 PM   #2
6MT_Addict
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 135i M Sport 6MT, 15 X3 35i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexF25 View Post
Looking to replace stock Bosch coils in my '11 F25 with N52. Trying to decide which brand, Bosch vs. Delphi vs. Eldor.

Researched (forums and youtube) and found that Eldor seems to be the latest OEM (and presumably better) coil for BMWs, but the vehicles discussed appeared to be for N54/N55 engines and couldn't definitively find if it will work for the F25 with the N52. The Eldor coils are not listed as an option on FCP Euro & AutohausAZ. Searched the Eldor coils and both sites list them as as Not Fitting my vehicle. So that leads me to believe my choices are between Bosch vs. Delphi. Has anyone used the Eldor on their N52 or know someone who has?

Since Delphi coils superseded the Bosch, I was initially leaning towards Delphi until I noticed they are made in China, which makes me lean toward the Bosch (Made in Slovenia). Also read a few forum posts and Amazon reviews where the Delphi coils failed after few months and/or few thousand miles, which further leans me towards the Bosch coils.

What are your thoughts on which to get? The Bosch and Delphi coils are about $23-$25/each so price between the two not really a factor and don't want to pay the Genuine BMW tax of approx. $60/each.
N5x engines all use the same coils. Comments on the N55 apply to the N52.

Get Delphi for the price point, get Eldor for a longer lasting coil.

Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 11:28 PM   #3
AlexF25
X3 Newbie
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 F25 X3 xdrive28i

Thanks for the feedback. Went with the Eldor coils for peace of mind and only a bit more $ than OEM Bosch/Delphi. They look well constructed and fit and work perfectly in my '11 X3 28i. Replaced the OEM Bosch with date stamp of 2014 and were seemed to still be good but my X3 has 159K with unknown maintenance history, so just wanted peace of mind since I just did spark plugs along with bunch of other maintenance work.
Appreciate 0