BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-14-2017, 04:59 PM   #1
Austin_Bo
@austin_van_bogh
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2

2017 X3 35i (F25) Owner's Notes & Review

I just hit 10,000 miles on my 2017 X3, and I thought I'd give my perspective of the vehicle for any potential X3 buyers out there. Bimmerpost has always been super helpful to me in all aspects of owning/leasing a BMW, so I write this with hopes that someone within this venerable community of enthusiasts may benefit.

For starters, I never really considered buying an X3 (and by buy, I mean lease) until the last minute. I was previously in a 328d (which was slow, but torquey, and awesome on fuel) and my intention throughout that lease was to order a 435i manual. However, when I fell back into motocross and found myself only able to ride when a friend with a truck could give me a lift, I started considering new alternatives. After quickly exhausting efforts to find a truck that was comfortable, economical, and fun to drive, I happily found myself again looking at BMWs. It came down to a minimally equipped X5 35i and a fairly loaded x3 35i, both of which would need to be ordered. Admittedly, I wanted the X5 more because of the broad silhouette, and more plush interior finishes. I also for whatever reason (and I mean no disrespect by this) considered the X3 pretty feminine. Maybe because I see mostly women driving them, or maybe the nature of a smaller SUV (SAV, sorry) is inherently girlish to me. However, this idea quickly vanished when I discovered the difference in the monthly payment was roughly $230, obviously favoring the X3.

That said, I provided my deposit and my CA submitted the order. Astonishingly, about 12 days later, he called to tell me it was at the dealership ready for delivery.

So here we are, 10,000 miles later, 4 paragraphs in, and still everything to explain: Let me cut to the chase...

Here's a photo the day after I picked it up:

Name:  IMG_9685 (1).jpg
Views: 3244
Size:  404.4 KB

The 35i vs 28i debate
My fiancé has a 28i X3. You might be thinking, "Why wouldn't you get your 435i and use your girl's X3 to transport the dirt bike?" Well, if you're on this forum, you're probably a BMW enthusiast. And if you're a BMW enthusiast, you probably don't like other people driving your car... especially people covered in dirt and pulling a motorbike. She's no different, and I respect that.

The point is, I've had plenty of seat time in both her 28i and my 35i, and as you may or may not expect, there's a significant difference. Her 28i is no slouch. My guess is that it offers more than enough power for most people. The N20 pulls the 2 ton truck pretty well for a four banger, despite sounds reminiscent of diesel clatter. At highway speeds this sound tapers off and the truck almost feels electric. And as expected, it's better on fuel than my 35i, averaging around 25 mpg to my 20 mpg with similar daily driving routes.

If all you have ever driven was a 28i, you might be perfectly satisfied with this capable SAV. But, have a go in a 35i and you'll quickly realize it's a different animal. Despite the many complaints made about the sounds of the N55, I enjoy it. It has a wonderful grumble, especially at cooler temps or at a cold start. And for a 2 ton truck, it pulls like a bat out of hell. I'm not saying it's an M car by any means, but it's heaps faster than my 328d, and I often (and accidentally) find myself in the triple digits when merging on the highway.

So if you're can't decide between the two, here's my take:

If power is at all a concern, and you intend to drive it like a car, the 35i is a no brainer. If you're on a budget, cut back on a few lux options and just go for it.

Likewise, if you're on a budget, but favor all the bells and whistles, the 28i will be plenty. Plus, you'll get the added benefit of increased fuel economy. But just know, that if my budget was super tight, I would pick a stripper 35i over a loaded 28i. But that's just me

Handling
For the every day commuter car enthusiast, this thing drives much like a 3 series. I'm not saying by any means this is a track weapon, there is still body roll and a bit of understeer on these "high performance summer" run flats. But when it comes to highway merging, spirited cornering around jug handles (I'm a Jersey guy), and overall driver experience, it's a pleasure. My only gripe is about the brakes. I feel like they've pulled them directly from the 3 series, and for a truck this size, they could use a bit more surface area. Not a huge complaint - you'll eventually learn to be more cautious.

Carbon Black/Oyster Nevada Leather
This is the color combo I ordered, and I'm very satisfied with it.

Carbon Black is a pretty interesting color. The best way to describe it would be if you mixed Tanzanite Blue and Black Sapphire Metallic. Most of the time it appears black. However, in the headlights of other vehicles, under parking lot lights, or at certain angles viewed on a sunny day, it is a wonderful, deep blue. For the most part, it's an understated color when compared to colors like Laguna Seca Blue and Austin Yellow, but I've received numerous compliments from total strangers.

Name:  IMG_0427.jpg
Views: 2598
Size:  437.4 KB
Name:  IMG_0433.jpg
Views: 2702
Size:  576.7 KB
Name:  IMG_0444.jpg
Views: 2577
Size:  617.7 KB

I picked Oyster Nevada for the contrast. It's an off white - nothing too exciting. However, I just want to note that it is not as difficult to keep clean as you might expect. A good leather cleaner will eliminate any blue denim remnants pretty quickly. I think I've only had to wipe down my driver seat twice now.

Name:  IMG_0436.jpg
Views: 2554
Size:  408.5 KB
Name:  IMG_0438.jpg
Views: 2550
Size:  399.4 KB
Name:  IMG_0439.jpg
Views: 2530
Size:  444.3 KB
Name:  IMG_0437.jpg
Views: 2515
Size:  384.3 KB

Apple Car Play
I'm an Apply guy, so I ticked the box for this $350 option thinking it would sync well. It doesn't, and I consider this a total waste of money. iDrive currently gives you two options to sync your phone - via the iDrive system or via Apple Car Play. Therefore, when utilizing Apply Car Play, you miss out on any benefits the iDrive system may have, and vice versa. I've deactivated my Apply Car Play because I think the iDrive system does a better job syncing contacts, music maps, etc., with other components of the vehicle.

If you're considering this option, I suggest passing on it until Apple/BMW figure out a better way to integrate it.

Aftermarket Parts
I haven't done much and probably won't do much considering this is a leased vehicle. However, there are a few items both cosmetic and utilitarian that I've added...

Black Grills - stock grilles are chrome & satin grey. I ordered gloss black grilles off ebay. They came from Taiwan, but they look and feel legit. Plus, they were only $90 instead of something like $200 for the OEM from BMW.

Name:  IMG_0424.jpg
Views: 3354
Size:  685.1 KB

All Weather Floor Mats - I went OEM for these. Between surfing, snowboarding, and riding the dirt bike, these are a must.

Tint & Lamin-X - I had the front windows tinted to match the rear. They're not very dark, maybe around 50%. This is for the best though - I must have been pulled over a dozen times on Long Beach Island in my 328 for the 30% window tint. I also had the headlights, fog lights, tailights, third brake light, and rear reflectors tinted with Lamin-X. For the headlights and fog lights, I went with the light tint, and for the rears I went with Gunsmoke. I think it really makes the vehicle look more aggressive, and I'm happy with how it turned out.

Name:  IMG_0430.jpg
Views: 2536
Size:  494.5 KB
Name:  IMG_0428.jpg
Views: 2504
Size:  524.0 KB

ECS Wheel Spacers - I wanted the wheels almost flush. I have the staggered 20" wheels, and I added 12.5mm spacers to the front and 17.5mm to the rear. I went with ECS because they came packaged with the extended lugs. I'm very happy and have had no issues. Just make sure everything is clean when installing.

Name:  IMG_0429.jpg
Views: 2527
Size:  478.7 KB
Name:  IMG_0431.jpg
Views: 2447
Size:  698.2 KB

US Millworks Plate Mount - Unfortunately, for us New Jerseyans, we're required to run a front plate. I don't like drilling into the bumper, and I like the offset look a tow hook plate mount. It took a couple tries to avoid the parking sensors, but I now have it in a pretty good spot.

Name:  IMG_0425.jpg
Views: 2599
Size:  713.4 KB

Draw-Tite Trailer hitch - So when I inquired about an OEM trailer hitch at my dealership, they quoted me $1,500. They literally laughed when they quoted me this because they understood how ridiculous of a price it was. Even with a discount, they couldn't get the price within reason. I passed on that, which they understood, and went to a reputable trailer place near me. They installed a Class III Draw-Tite hitch for I think around $300. I considered the Hidden Hitch, but I didn't want to install it. The Draw-Tite hitch is visible, but I wouldn't say it's an eye sore. I kind of like that you can see it because it hints that I use my SUV like an SUV (sorry again, SAV... so stupid).

Name:  IMG_0435.jpg
Views: 2493
Size:  461.8 KB
Name:  IMG_0028.jpg
Views: 2739
Size:  670.5 KB

Burger Tuning Stage I Tune - I haven't done this yet, but will shortly. I wanted to get through the first service period before buying & installing. Once I do, I'll report back and let you know my thoughts.

In Closing
Again, I hope this helps anyone making decisions regarding the F25 X3. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to give me a shout. Always happy to discuss BMWs with a fellow enthusiast...

Best,
Austin
Attached Images

2017 X3 35i || M-Sport || Carbon Black Metallic, Oyster
2014 328d || Sport Line || Mineral Gray Metallic

Last edited by Austin_Bo; 04-14-2017 at 07:12 PM..
Appreciate 4
BMWZ41909.50
      04-14-2017, 05:47 PM   #2
X3Bimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '13 X3 35i - %E2%80%9821 X3 M4

We have the 35i but are in a 28i loaner now. It seems like the 28i has a smaller turn radius maybe due to the smaller engine size. Have you noticed this as well since you drive both?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 07:30 PM   #3
Austin_Bo
@austin_van_bogh
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3Bimmer View Post
We have the 35i but are in a 28i loaner now. It seems like the 28i has a smaller turn radius maybe due to the smaller engine size. Have you noticed this as well since you drive both?
There may be a difference, but to be honest, I haven't noticed. I think the biggest differences in steering come from our different steering wheels and the wheel spacers I installed. I know it's probably a placebo, but the M-Sport steering wheel provides me with more confidence going into a turn than does the non-M-Sport. It could simply be because it's thicker and easier to grip. Also, the 12.5mm of wheel spacers on each front wheel absolutely add weight to the steering, and maybe even a hair of connectivity to the notoriously numb electronic system.

By the way, if you want to drive a car with a great turning radius, drive any e46. Before her 28i, she had a 325i. That car could U-turn on a dime.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 08:46 PM   #4
aintitthelife98
Rep
Drives: X3 35i

Great write up. I've been in my 2017 X3 35i for 2 weeks now and have been very happy with it. I agree with all of your commentary.
Appreciate 1
      04-16-2017, 06:40 PM   #5
luvmybmmr
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin_Bo View Post
I just hit 10,000 miles on my 2017 X3, and I thought I'd give my perspective of the vehicle for any potential X3 buyers out there. Bimmerpost has always been super helpful to me in all aspects of owning/leasing a BMW, so I write this with hopes that someone within this venerable community of enthusiasts may benefit.

For starters, I never really considered buying an X3 (and by buy, I mean lease) until the last minute. I was previously in a 328d (which was slow, but torquey, and awesome on fuel) and my intention throughout that lease was to order a 435i manual. However, when I fell back into motocross and found myself only able to ride when a friend with a truck could give me a lift, I started considering new alternatives. After quickly exhausting efforts to find a truck that was comfortable, economical, and fun to drive, I happily found myself again looking at BMWs. It came down to a minimally equipped X5 35i and a fairly loaded x3 35i, both of which would need to be ordered. Admittedly, I wanted the X5 more because of the broad silhouette, and more plush interior finishes. I also for whatever reason (and I mean no disrespect by this) considered the X3 pretty feminine. Maybe because I see mostly women driving them, or maybe the nature of a smaller SUV (SAV, sorry) is inherently girlish to me. However, this idea quickly vanished when I discovered the difference in the monthly payment was roughly $230, obviously favoring the X3.

That said, I provided my deposit and my CA submitted the order. Astonishingly, about 12 days later, he called to tell me it was at the dealership ready for delivery.

So here we are, 10,000 miles later, 4 paragraphs in, and still everything to explain: Let me cut to the chase...

Here's a photo the day after I picked it up:

Attachment 1606709

The 35i vs 28i debate
My fiancé has a 28i X3. You might be thinking, "Why wouldn't you get your 435i and use your girl's X3 to transport the dirt bike?" Well, if you're on this forum, you're probably a BMW enthusiast. And if you're a BMW enthusiast, you probably don't like other people driving your car... especially people covered in dirt and pulling a motorbike. She's no different, and I respect that.

The point is, I've had plenty of seat time in both her 28i and my 35i, and as you may or may not expect, there's a significant difference. Her 28i is no slouch. My guess is that it offers more than enough power for most people. The N20 pulls the 2 ton truck pretty well for a four banger, despite sounds reminiscent of diesel clatter. At highway speeds this sound tapers off and the truck almost feels electric. And as expected, it's better on fuel than my 35i, averaging around 25 mpg to my 20 mpg with similar daily driving routes.

If all you have ever driven was a 28i, you might be perfectly satisfied with this capable SAV. But, have a go in a 35i and you'll quickly realize it's a different animal. Despite the many complaints made about the sounds of the N55, I enjoy it. It has a wonderful grumble, especially at cooler temps or at a cold start. And for a 2 ton truck, it pulls like a bat out of hell. I'm not saying it's an M car by any means, but it's heaps faster than my 328d, and I often (and accidentally) find myself in the triple digits when merging on the highway.

So if you're can't decide between the two, here's my take:

If power is at all a concern, and you intend to drive it like a car, the 35i is a no brainer. If you're on a budget, cut back on a few lux options and just go for it.

Likewise, if you're on a budget, but favor all the bells and whistles, the 28i will be plenty. Plus, you'll get the added benefit of increased fuel economy. But just know, that if my budget was super tight, I would pick a stripper 35i over a loaded 28i. But that's just me

Handling
For the every day commuter car enthusiast, this thing drives much like a 3 series. I'm not saying by any means this is a track weapon, there is still body roll and a bit of understeer on these "high performance summer" run flats. But when it comes to highway merging, spirited cornering around jug handles (I'm a Jersey guy), and overall driver experience, it's a pleasure. My only gripe is about the brakes. I feel like they've pulled them directly from the 3 series, and for a truck this size, they could use a bit more surface area. Not a huge complaint - you'll eventually learn to be more cautious.

Carbon Black/Oyster Nevada Leather
This is the color combo I ordered, and I'm very satisfied with it.

Carbon Black is a pretty interesting color. The best way to describe it would be if you mixed Tanzanite Blue and Black Sapphire Metallic. Most of the time it appears black. However, in the headlights of other vehicles, under parking lot lights, or at certain angles viewed on a sunny day, it is a wonderful, deep blue. For the most part, it's an understated color when compared to colors like Laguna Seca Blue and Austin Yellow, but I've received numerous compliments from total strangers.

Attachment 1606712
Attachment 1606717
Attachment 1606718

I picked Oyster Nevada for the contrast. It's an off white - nothing too exciting. However, I just want to note that it is not as difficult to keep clean as you might expect. A good leather cleaner will eliminate any blue denim remnants pretty quickly. I think I've only had to wipe down my driver seat twice now.

Attachment 1606720
Attachment 1606721
Attachment 1606722
Attachment 1606724

Apple Car Play
I'm an Apply guy, so I ticked the box for this $350 option thinking it would sync well. It doesn't, and I consider this a total waste of money. iDrive currently gives you two options to sync your phone - via the iDrive system or via Apple Car Play. Therefore, when utilizing Apply Car Play, you miss out on any benefits the iDrive system may have, and vice versa. I've deactivated my Apply Car Play because I think the iDrive system does a better job syncing contacts, music maps, etc., with other components of the vehicle.

If you're considering this option, I suggest passing on it until Apple/BMW figure out a better way to integrate it.

Aftermarket Parts
I haven't done much and probably won't do much considering this is a leased vehicle. However, there are a few items both cosmetic and utilitarian that I've added...

Black Grills - stock grilles are chrome & satin grey. I ordered gloss black grilles off ebay. They came from Taiwan, but they look and feel legit. Plus, they were only $90 instead of something like $200 for the OEM from BMW.

Attachment 1606725

All Weather Floor Mats - I went OEM for these. Between surfing, snowboarding, and riding the dirt bike, these are a must.

Tint & Lamin-X - I had the front windows tinted to match the rear. They're not very dark, maybe around 50%. This is for the best though - I must have been pulled over a dozen times on Long Beach Island in my 328 for the 30% window tint. I also had the headlights, fog lights, tailights, third brake light, and rear reflectors tinted with Lamin-X. For the headlights and fog lights, I went with the light tint, and for the rears I went with Gunsmoke. I think it really makes the vehicle look more aggressive, and I'm happy with how it turned out.

Attachment 1606715
Attachment 1606713

ECS Wheel Spacers - I wanted the wheels almost flush. I have the staggered 20" wheels, and I added 12.5mm spacers to the front and 17.5mm to the rear. I went with ECS because they came packaged with the extended lugs. I'm very happy and have had no issues. Just make sure everything is clean when installing.

Attachment 1606714
Attachment 1606716

US Millworks Plate Mount - Unfortunately, for us New Jerseyans, we're required to run a front plate. I don't like drilling into the bumper, and I like the offset look a tow hook plate mount. It took a couple tries to avoid the parking sensors, but I now have it in a pretty good spot.

Attachment 1606726

Draw-Tite Trailer hitch - So when I inquired about an OEM trailer hitch at my dealership, they quoted me $1,500. They literally laughed when they quoted me this because they understood how ridiculous of a price it was. Even with a discount, they couldn't get the price within reason. I passed on that, which they understood, and went to a reputable trailer place near me. They installed a Class III Draw-Tite hitch for I think around $300. I considered the Hidden Hitch, but I didn't want to install it. The Draw-Tite hitch is visible, but I wouldn't say it's an eye sore. I kind of like that you can see it because it hints that I use my SUV like an SUV (sorry again, SAV... so stupid).

Attachment 1606719
Attachment 1606710

Burger Tuning Stage I Tune - I haven't done this yet, but will shortly. I wanted to get through the first service period before buying & installing. Once I do, I'll report back and let you know my thoughts.

In Closing
Again, I hope this helps anyone making decisions regarding the F25 X3. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to give me a shout. Always happy to discuss BMWs with a fellow enthusiast...

Best,
Austin
Nice write up, thanks! I too just got into a leased x3 35i and have had it for about 2 months. Coming from a 2014 x5 35d, my only complaint (except missing the interior finishes a little bit) are the brakes. My other car right now is a 2017 M2 so it's not really a fair comparison to that car, those brakes are out of sight. But I find the x3 brakes a little "bouncy" for lack of a better description, have to remember to start braking a little sooner I think. Overall agree with your assessment. I have the same color as you as well, also very happy with it! Enjoy!!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 08:35 AM   #6
Austin_Bo
@austin_van_bogh
United_States
Rep

@luvmybmmr Thanks! You have a pretty perfect combo there (X3 & M2). And as for the X3 brakes, I definitely understand that bounce you're describing. Maybe this will be resolved in the next gen X3, but for now, we'll just have to drive more cautiously.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 07:15 PM   #7
luvmybmmr
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin_Bo View Post
@luvmybmmr Thanks! You have a pretty perfect combo there (X3 & M2). And as for the X3 brakes, I definitely understand that bounce you're describing. Maybe this will be resolved in the next gen X3, but for now, we'll just have to drive more cautiously.
Love the combo too, thanks! Two great bmws to enjoy! Drive carefully and have fun!!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 09:58 PM   #8
96_Impreza
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 96 Impreza,07 Vette,11 X3 35i

Austin_Bo, thanks for your report.
I've never leased a car but I wonder about in what condition the car has to be returned to the lessor. Do they get nit-picky about tune, window tint etc when you turn the vehicle in?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 10:50 PM   #9
Austin_Bo
@austin_van_bogh
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96_Impreza View Post
I've never leased a car but I wonder about in what condition the car has to be returned to the lessor. Do they get nit-picky about tune, window tint etc when you turn the vehicle in?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96_Impreza View Post
There's a lot to be said about this, but I'll try to keep it as brief as possible. I think window tinting is about as much as you can get away with without causing a fuss. Even if they did make a fuss, it's not permanent and can be removed at any time. My CA/dealer didn't even do a review of my last vehicle before I returned it, and that had 30% tint all around. I contribute this mainly to the fact that I was leasing another vehicle and the friendly relationship we share.

Many people on this forum will argue that making any modification to a leased car is silly. Not only because it could potentially void the warranty, but because it's money spent on a vehicle that is pretty much rented. In my opinion, any modification, whether the car is leased or purchased, adds no value to a vehicle, so it's a losing monetary investment either way. But we're car guys, and we do things that look cool but don't make sense... sensible would be a Toyota Camry, but I digress...

Everything I've done, less the tint, will be removed before I return the vehicle. I will probably end up selling most of the items on this very forum, and someone will benefit on slightly used wheel spacers, a piggyback tune, and a trailer hitch (if shipping isn't absurd) at a discounted price. Btw, the piggy back tune is just a plug and play... virtually undetectable and can be installed/removed within a matter of minutes.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 07:35 AM   #10
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]

nice write up
beautiful x3!