BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-14-2012, 02:19 PM   #1
h0mersimps0n
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 35i M-Sport Carbon Black

Bike Carrying Solution?

Roof rails are not an option.

I received a 4 bike hitch carrier last winter as a gift that I just unpacked/installed today and the receiver on the bike carrier is longer than BMW OEM receiver allows so the pin holes don't line up.

I'm leaving for a long trip in 48 hours and don't have the tools to cut the 1/4" I need off of the steal 4 bike hitch carrier tongue.

I thought there was a bracket that could be bought to mount the bikes, front wheel removed on the floor rails inside the back? I can't find them on BMW website.

I'm going to have to run to Dicks and try another hitch mount bike carrier but am worried all of them will not fit into the BMW OEM receiver.

Anyone else struggle with this?

Ideas? Not looking to spend more than $200 and will likely have to craigslist my one that doesn't fit unless I can find someone with a plasma torch.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 03:51 PM   #2
idahoakl
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d

I had the same problem. I just took the hitch receiver and cut/knocked out the back plate. The back plate does nothing other than keep you from inserting something to far and hitting the bumper. As long as you're careful when you insert something you should be fine. If you have a dremel, a punch and a hammer it takes about 5 minutes to remove the plate.

I would rather remove something that is not needed from the receiver than to void the warranty on an expensive bike rack.

I asked the same question at http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=684224
Appreciate 0