BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-20-2011, 06:17 PM   #1
hax
Rep
Drives: '12 X3, '02 M3

X3 Ordered (and the backstory, and some questions)!

First off, I'd like to thank the folks who've posted so much useful information in this forum! I even brought a printout from the "dealer discount" thread and handled it to my salesman . Then I took the plunge and ordered my 2012 X3 35i! I've been reading car review sites daily all year to find the right vehicle. I want a hatchback/SUV/Wagon for practicality, four-wheel for ski trips, compactness for maneuverability/parking in the city, and it has to be fast to replace my M3. The X3 fits that bill very well!

I ended up ordering a 2012 xDrive35i in titanium silver with the oyster leather interior and brushed aluminum trim (full configuration here).

I think it looks beautiful. My only concerns are that the titanium silver might be too "boring/normal", the oyster seats might stain too easily, and the aluminum trim might not feel as classy as the wood. I can still change any of these, but I'm leaning toward sticking with them. I do love the two-tone nature of the oyster seats and the high-tech/modern look of the aluminum.

I'm lucky enough to have 8 BMW dealers within 50 miles of Palo Alto, which forces them to compete on price. The first dealer said this model was so popular that they wouldn't offer me any discount. The second offered $2,000 off the $53,875 MSRP and I said I'd make the deal for $3K off. We settled on a $2,500 "favored customer discount" and I'm happy enough with that. I think I qualify for a $500 rebate as a long-time BMWCCA member too. I hoped for the $1,000 loyalty rebate, but I think my current M3 is too old (2002). I've been hearing about people who get a $1,000 discount for attending BMW driving events, but I don't know if there is any way for me to get in on that? From the web page, it looks like the events are all over. And in any case, the certificates may require delivery by 10/31/11?

My salesman was relentless in promoting the BMW Apps option for $250. But I have an Android phone rather than an iPhone, and they don't seem to support that very well yet. Supposedly they will make an Android version next year, but who knows. And Tweeting or Facebook from my car seems ridiculous anyway. I wonder if the dealer seriously felt this was such a critical option, or if they get some sort of incentive for selling this feature? I told him that I'd take it if they'll throw it in for free, but he wasn't fond of that idea . Does anyone here see this as an important option?

The dealer says my X3 should be ready in about 2 months. That is just in time for Tahoe ski trips, so I hope it isn't late! Has anyone here tried it in the snow yet, particularly with the 19" wheels with all-season run-flat tires? Do those qualify as "snow tires" to the extent that they will (combined with the four-wheel drive aspect) let me pass California chain control checkpoints on the I-80?

I can't wait to receive and drive my new X3!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 06:32 PM   #2
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Sounds like a reasonable deal and a nice choice of options.

Re: Tires and snow. You might want to take a look at this thread which discusses this issue in some detail.

Snow tires/Chains
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2011, 01:03 AM   #3
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Change it from the brushed aluminum to fineline wave.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2011, 01:54 AM   #4
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

I have TiAg and did have it down as the slightly boring sensible choice but I'm very happy with it. The only other X3 colour that I've seen in the flesh that I would consider is AW. Not sure on alu and oyster but some people like it. Would go for a wood trim with oyster personally.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2011, 02:17 AM   #5
lhsa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: kia

imho, silver and oyster don't make a great combo because there's no contrast. they're both on the light side. add aluminum and it's even more redundant. since you're already close to fully loaded and if you like silver, perhaps you'd be willing to buck for m-sport. i think m-sport in silver looks fantastic and certainly adds a more finished look.

as for interior, i personally love chestnut. with a contrasting exterior color, it really makes a statement.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2011, 04:59 AM   #6
hax
Rep

Thanks for the feedback! The more time I spend browsing the picture galleries, the more sure I am about the oyster leather and aluminum trim. But I'm reconsidering the titanium silver paint in favor of the darker space gray. I found some beautiful pictures from TN_3 of the gray/oyster/aluminum combo.

I'm tentatively planning to call my sales agent in the morning and request a switch to space gray. What do you all think? Here are a few pics I found (in the galleries here) for comparison:

Appreciate 0
      10-21-2011, 06:25 AM   #7
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Space grey I think would look best with your interior color selections. I like it better for the outside as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2011, 01:11 PM   #8
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

2 months for production? does California have no allocation? in the midwest our orders are going through right away, 1 week from documentation to production after I ordered it, should be here 1-2 weeks from now.

I sort of agree with other posts that the silver/oyster/aluminum is too much. but each is a personal choice. I don't like wood trim at all on any car (one thing I hate about my C63 but at least its black wood). Oyster and aluminum will look fine together if you have a dark exterior (anything but white or silver), space gray might even work, vermillion red or deep sea blue would be nice as well. If you love the ti silver (I love that color, similar to the color of my sedan) then I would go with darker seats... Since you have a ton of dealers around, go check out some cars on the lots.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2011, 01:52 PM   #9
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by juddholland View Post
Change it from the brushed aluminum to fineline wave.
Congrats!
I agree, the dark wood trim goes very well with oyster seats.
      10-21-2011, 02:05 PM   #10
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukat View Post
Congrats!
I agree, the dark wood trim goes very well with oyster seats.
Also agree.
      10-21-2011, 04:05 PM   #11
Gubber
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3

Mineral Silver

I have a Mineral Silver ordered that is in production now. Got my fingers crossed it's a color I can live with. Had a couple of bimmers in Ti. Thought I'd try something new. Anyone have experience with this color??
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2011, 04:31 PM   #12
hax
Rep

Thanks folks. My car hadn't yet entered production, so I was able to change from TiAg to Space Gray. Interestingly, my client advisor tried to talk me out of it. He thinks the oyster leather looks good with a silver exterior, but not so much gray. Of course that's the opposite of how several folks commented here. Shrug, I guess colors are too personal to expect consensus. I made the change anyway. I doubt I'll be disappointed by a car like this.

Many folks seem to feel that the aluminum trim doesn't have enough contrast from the oyster leather. But with the two-tone oyster scheme, the trim is generally surrounded by at least as much black as oyster (pic below).

Appreciate 0
      10-21-2011, 06:01 PM   #13
MetaX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

I've gotten through chain control checkpoints on I80 and 50 with a standard AWD sedan running all season tires every time for the last 9 years, so you shouldn't have any problems whatsoever. I would say that by the time they start restricting access for AWD cars on the basis of tires they're within 15 minutes of closing off the road completely anyhow.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2011, 06:19 PM   #14
X3M
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3

You might also want to think about Carbon Black if your willing/interested in M-Sport Package. That's the package I got: Carbon Black/Oyster/Fineline Wave.

Also, if you're moving from an M3, you may also want to think about the Dynamic Handling Package (which I got as well).
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2011, 06:21 PM   #15
colson79
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i DSB

I think aluminum will be fine. Most on this forum that get oyster seem to go with the dark wood. I got oyster myself but I went with the light wood. I liked the contrast of the light wood against all the black. But I think all the trims look good with oyster.
      10-21-2011, 06:47 PM   #16
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gubber View Post
I have a Mineral Silver ordered that is in production now. Got my fingers crossed it's a color I can live with. Had a couple of bimmers in Ti. Thought I'd try something new. Anyone have experience with this color??
I have Mineral Silver and LOVE it! It's a great color that changes with the light. On sunny days, it pulls more silver. On cloudy days or in the evening, it looks more champagne than silver. Also hides the dirt well! I think you will like it a lot
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 01:47 PM   #17
hax
Rep

Thanks MetaX, I'm delighted to hear that the X3 with the all-season tires will pass California chain controls! I sure hope to receive my X3 in time for my first ski trip of the season. I ordered it just over a week ago and the tracking page and phone number say there is "no confirmed production date" yet. The original estimate from my dealer was 2 months, but I'm encouraged by reading here about all the folks who got theirs faster.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go check the status page for the 3rd time today .
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 02:10 PM   #18
KL
Sweden
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 X-drive 2.0dA - 2012

I ordered a Titanium silver with black leather sport seats after having spent hours looking at pics on this forum (thx to sfax pics).
I prefer the Ti in front of Space gray because it is not that common and it goes perfectly with the black interior.
Space grey is nice, but it reminds me of old battleships from WWII...

Last edited by KL; 10-24-2011 at 02:12 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 03:34 PM   #19
FooFighters
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hax View Post
Thanks MetaX, I'm delighted to hear that the X3 with the all-season tires will pass California chain controls! I sure hope to receive my X3 in time for my first ski trip of the season. I ordered it just over a week ago and the tracking page and phone number say there is "no confirmed production date" yet. The original estimate from my dealer was 2 months, but I'm encouraged by reading here about all the folks who got theirs faster.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go check the status page for the 3rd time today .
hax, ask your CA the Week # of your Production Date, he should know.
I ordered mine on Oct 1st and the dealer told me it will start on Week 42 (Oct 17) and my "Production Begins" started on that same day.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 03:46 PM   #20
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
I'll try not to opine too much on color choices and such, as that is subjective and you should get what you want. But I will offer you a thought about BMW Apps. For $250 you get the necessary connectivity for 'supported' phones and devices... and although that list might be short at the moment it will grow. Same for the apps available for it - especially now that BMW has opened the game up for third party developers. I think you might be kicking yourself in a year if you don't get it. At $250 I consider it a no-brainer.

My $.02

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 05:58 PM   #21
Gubber
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the thrill View Post
I have Mineral Silver and LOVE it! It's a great color that changes with the light. On sunny days, it pulls more silver. On cloudy days or in the evening, it looks more champagne than silver. Also hides the dirt well! I think you will like it a lot
You are quite right! Very nice color that looks different in all lights and at all angles. Good decision!!!
Appreciate 0