BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-06-2012, 11:28 AM   #1849
Chris55
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsey View Post
Just walking to the tube on my way ...

Irritated that I wont be able to post pics from the iPhone as it happens!
Well congratulation and good luck! I've been following your posts and am, myself, waiting for my X3 3.5d M.

Post some pictures ASAP and give us some 1st impressions!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 03:05 PM   #1850
Stephen H
Rep
Drives: X3 35D M Sport Alpine White

Quote:
Just walking to the tube on my way ...

Irritated that I wont be able to post pics from the iPhone as it happens!
Also have a 35d on order in white. Looking forward to your feedback and pics.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 05:21 PM   #1851
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 35d MSport & 135i

I Got It!

YIPEEEEEEEE!!!!

Collection was all a bit random as we got distracted with some issues with a Mini we bought for my mum.

The dealership was doing renovations, so the car was in the “downstairs” showroom … or glorified garage.

My wife arranged for the car to be wearing a big red bow which was very cute.

By the time we got to actually doing the handover it was getting late so we did it in a bit of a rush … I haven’t had a chance to really play with it yet.

Sadly, I didn’t get any pressies … probably on account of all the grief I have given them.

There were a few little problems.

1) No iPhone cradle (but we all know they have been held back following overheating problems).
2) They gave me the wrong rubber boot mat.
3) Somehow I got convinced to buy rubber mats even though the car already came with the expensive velour ones (that said, given the car is going to be in fields most of the time it’s probably for the best).
4) The passenger seat has a very nasty chemical stain on it … I am sure they are going to have fun sorting that out.

But all of that will get sorted out, so I am easy … Just happy to have my car!

What to say about the car …

So many buttons ...

... well no not really it’s all iDrive

TV is really cool … and … *cough* … is now restriction free

Things I wasn’t expecting, or was depending on how you look at it …

… reading the forums I was expecting a cubby hole by the steering wheel … nada … I guess that only on the US variant.

Likewise, the keyfob only has 3 buttons … unlike the US one which has 4 (activate lights and/or horn).

Seeing the car in the flesh for the first time, it actually looks quite meaty and the 19” wheels seem to come up looking a bit small … I should have listened to my wife and had the wheels sprayed black.

Top view is really cool … but I could do with a zoom … I don’t quite seem to be parking close enough to the kerb. Its freaky to be able to see most of the way round the car … especially the little white box you are parked in! Integrates nicely with the electric tow bar too … wish I had had that when I used to tow the horses more frequently.

The HUD is truly fantastic … however I have one complaint, and that is it clips the left of the display (Speed Limit Info ) for your left eye if you lean even slightly to the left of centre … I think I shall explore that issue in more detail, but it was hard to do on the drive home.

My online account has not been set up, so I was not able to test Internet, and without the cradle all I could do was use Bluetooth to integrated my iPhone.

I thought I would hate Auto Start/Stop and Auto Hold … but actually it worked great, and I feel all warm and fuzzy at traffic lights when my engine goes silent. Driving from the dealer to my home, you would not believe how many times the car tuned off, and always started just in time to move off.

Didn’t really get to feel the power ... but the car does feels nice … it’s been a while since I was able to enjoy a diesel engine … I am sure it will feel great when I eventually get round to putting my foot down!

The lighting at the dealership sucked and I didn’t have any time. Taking photos on the street isn’t cool … so the real pictures and feature breakdown will have to wait till a sunny weekend.

Thanks for all the company while I was patiently waiting for it … although hard, it has been worth it.

It’s good to know there are a few more 35ds due …

… and if anyone had HUD with Speed Limit Info, I would be interested to know the horizontal field of view.

P.S. Saw a cool Mini there … I wish I had known it was possible …
Attached Images

F25 X3 xDrive 35d M Sport Alpine White, Black Nevada Leather, Speed limit info, TV, Prof. Nav & Speakers, HUD, M Sport steering wheel, Sport gearbox, BMW Apps, Internet, VDC, Comfort with Powered boot, Hi-speed synch, VSS, Top View, Electric tow-bar, Heated steering, Storage, DAB, Heated electric seats, Moonroof, Adaptive High beam assist Xenons, Servotronic, Performance control, etc.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 06:18 PM   #1852
redonebe
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0D

Garage List
2012 BMW X3  [0.00]
2010 BMW 116D  [0.00]
Congrats Horsey, finally you got it, looks really nice.

Enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 06:43 PM   #1853
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

Congrat's Horsey... I hope the car lives up to you expectations. You did get the best colour.
      06-06-2012, 08:31 PM   #1854
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Congrats, Horsey! And I want that Mini too!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 12:27 AM   #1855
vojak
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 Competition Xdrive

I expect it will be quiet on here for a while! Enjoy the car, it looks great.
Ref the cubby by the wheel, I believe it comes with extended storage option which also gets storage nets behind teh front seats and in the passenger footwell etc.
More picture please as time permits.......
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 01:04 AM   #1856
SR40X3
Private
Rep
Drives: X3

Horsey, congratulations and thanks for the pics...looks amazing!

Thanks for all the great info ans support while we continue to wait for ours, enjoy...and don't kerb those alloys!!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 01:47 AM   #1857
Yeltzer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F25 xDrive 20d M Sport

Enjoy. Car looks fab - great choice of colour
      06-07-2012, 02:08 AM   #1858
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

Were heading from Roscoff to Cap d'adge, taking in the new bridge at Millau and a few days at Futuroscope, Poitiers on the way back.
Driven many times in France with no problem so looking forward to it..
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 02:55 AM   #1859
swfrom07
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0D SE

Quote:
I Got It!

YIPEEEEEEEE!!!!

The dealership was doing renovations, so the car was in the “downstairs” showroom … or glorified garage.
Congrats Horsey, hope you taken the day off work and are sitting in the car going through all the options.
The minimalistic look at the dealer showroom isnt the best of touches and shame you couldn't get any freebies. But most importantly the car is with you. Enjoy it and post some pictures, mght be August by the time you get through the options list and we get a glimpse of the sun !

Quote:
Originally Posted by plymjack View Post
Were heading from Roscoff to Cap d'adge, taking in the new bridge at Millau and a few days at Futuroscope, Poitiers on the way back.
We were planning a similar roadtrip through France and Italy in July / August when we get the car. Hope you have a great time and do post pics.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 03:07 AM   #1860
Chris55
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by plymjack View Post
Enjoy your trip, it's a nice area. I definitely want to take that bridge the next time I go to the Dordogne area.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 03:09 AM   #1861
Chris55
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep

Congrats! It looks gorgeous in white! I hope the Space Gray looks as good.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 04:08 AM   #1862
Tannahill
Registered
Rep

Delivery and first impressions

Having read this thread and knowing I wanted my car in June, I ordered on 29th Jan.. The dealer received the car first week in May. Due to vacation I collected on 30th May.

Car is RHD, X3 2.0d SE. Auto box, active suspension, winter pack, sports seats with memory, USB / Bluetooth, sports wheel.

I could not test drive the active suspension, but it far exceeds my expectations. Cornering and ride are far better than test vehicle. Cannot understand why it is not standard. I would certainly try to get it on demonstrators if I were BMW.

My disappointments are mainly due to RHD. The wipers are still LHD and each swipe leaves a line of water across the driver's view. When you put the vehicle on cruise control no provision has been made to rest your right foot.

The fuel consumption will never get there and in my view start stop is a con. I do realise that fuel consumption will improve as the engine beds in, but I cannot see it hitting 50 mpg. They say you "only" need to stop for 4 seconds to save with start stop. I now realise that most stops are actually less than 4 seconds, think about a queue for a roundabout. With the auto box on even a modest hill if the start stop operates it will rollback before the engine starts, unless you use the handbrake. To be fair, thanks to all the reviews, I knew about fuel consumption and one button kills the auto stop.

I certainly love the vehicle, and would recommend it above the competition, but it is not the "Ultimate driving machine" when it has some basic design faults on it.

Hope this helps those considering a purchase.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 06:01 AM   #1863
Yeltzer
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannahill View Post
My disappointments are mainly due to RHD. The wipers are still LHD and each swipe leaves a line of water across the driver's view.
Has anyone else noticed this or had this? Seems strange BMW would make such a mistake... leave that to the likes of Peugeot!! Poor show if its true.

Never had LHD wipers on my previous two (E87, E90) BMWs.....
      06-07-2012, 06:13 AM   #1864
gareth3685
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2.0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeltzer View Post
Has anyone else noticed this or had this? Seems strange BMW would make such a mistake... leave that to the likes of Peugeot!! Poor show if its true.

Never had LHD wipers on my previous two (E87, E90) BMWs.....
Yes I have, I didn't realise it was beacause they were LHD but I find it leaves water on a certain part of the screen. Not really impressed by the wipers tbh, I could just have a dodgy set but never seems to clear all the water and leaves streaks right in my line of vision.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 06:59 AM   #1865
Yeltzer
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gareth3685 View Post
Yes I have, I didn't realise it was beacause they were LHD but I find it leaves water on a certain part of the screen. Not really impressed by the wipers tbh, I could just have a dodgy set but never seems to clear all the water and leaves streaks right in my line of vision.
What MY F25 have you got? Am hoping they have fixed it on the MY2013!!
      06-07-2012, 07:05 AM   #1866
gareth3685
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2.0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeltzer View Post
What MY F25 have you got? Am hoping they have fixed it on the MY2013!!
Sorry, but I have 2013.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 07:10 AM   #1867
Yeltzer
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gareth3685 View Post
Sorry, but I have 2013.
Oh, bugger
      06-07-2012, 08:47 AM   #1868
Tannahill
Registered
Rep

What happens is that the passenger wiper finishes its stroke across the driver's field of vision and deposits its water from each upward stroke there because its pivot is on the right hand side towards the middle of the screen. The driver's side wiper is also hinged at the right hand side in the corner of the screen so sweeps away the water deposited by the passenger wiper to the bottom of the screen on its next downward stroke. Personally I find the cruise control problem more irritating because I do use it a lot. I suspect the cruise problem is caused by the location of the maintenance computer connector right where you would put a foot rest.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 08:51 AM   #1869
Yeltzer
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannahill View Post
Personally I find the cruise control problem more irritating because I do use it a lot. I suspect the cruise problem is caused by the location of the maintenance computer connector right where you would put a foot rest.
Yes, it is definitely a RHD issue, as the US spec cars come with a footrest.
      06-07-2012, 09:41 AM   #1870
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 35d MSport & 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR40X3 View Post
Horsey, congratulations and thanks for the pics...looks amazing!

Thanks for all the great info ans support while we continue to wait for ours, enjoy...and don't kerb those alloys!!
Its a pleasure and really it should be my thanks to the wonderful inhabitants of the forum who tolerate, indulge and inspire me.

I intend to stay involved, just need to get to the bottom of my few little niggles ... now focus of my full attention!

As soon as the sun is out, I will start the long laborious process of trying to highlight bits that aren't commonly seen.

... my only regret ... now I have an owners handbook was not getting the Lane Departure Warning ... not for the Lane Departure Warning, but for the Forward Collision Warning that comes with it ... d'oh.

Top view is really good, but the picture is a bit small ... I may take a pic later of where its parked and the top view showing the same ... the only thing is the top view pic is actually quite small, so its hard to see how close you are to the kerb when you are trying to get close ...

I wonder if the wheels would look better powder coated black matt ... something to look into ... except they will show up kerbing even more!
F25 X3 xDrive 35d M Sport Alpine White, Black Nevada Leather, Speed limit info, TV, Prof. Nav & Speakers, HUD, M Sport steering wheel, Sport gearbox, BMW Apps, Internet, VDC, Comfort with Powered boot, Hi-speed synch, VSS, Top View, Electric tow-bar, Heated steering, Storage, DAB, Heated electric seats, Moonroof, Adaptive High beam assist Xenons, Servotronic, Performance control, etc.
Appreciate 0