BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-30-2012, 06:01 PM   #45
ErnestHouse
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i GT

Dynamic Damper control is listed in the M-Sport package.

This is what's said is standard:
"Dynamic Stability Control (DSC), including Brake Drying, Brake Stand-by, Start-off Assistant and Brake Fade Compensation"

What's the difference?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 06:12 PM   #46
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

... but you have to check the box within the msport package to get the option. After you check the box on the build sheet you'll note the price of the car goes up by $1300. Checking the box and paying for the option gets you adjustable dampers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnestHouse View Post
Dynamic Damper control is listed in the M-Sport package.

This is what's said is standard:
"Dynamic Stability Control (DSC), including Brake Drying, Brake Stand-by, Start-off Assistant and Brake Fade Compensation"

What's the difference?
      12-01-2012, 02:08 AM   #47
SoDigito
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16%E2%80%99 X6 / 10%E2%80%99 5

Makes sense for the price to go up, the individual sensors at each wheel won't come free just because you have M-sport package. According to the BMW website, checking the dynamic damping control under M-sport will add the full dynamic handling package which cost $100 less with M-sport. So the confusion has been about which checkbox you click on but we have to remember to look at the price also.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 03:13 AM   #48
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoDigito View Post
Makes sense for the price to go up, the individual sensors at each wheel won't come free just because you have M-sport package. According to the BMW website, checking the dynamic damping control under M-sport will add the full dynamic handling package which cost $100 less with M-sport. So the confusion has been about which checkbox you click on but we have to remember to look at the price also.
As you say Dynamic Damping isn't free, you have to pay for the more complex hardware.

I think one of the biggest confusions is due to the fact all models get the toggle switch which has 'comfort' and 'sport' on it. Forgetting it still needs other options to get the full configurable works.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 05:08 AM   #49
ErnestHouse
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So are you guys saying the capability list needs correction or clarification?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 08:32 AM   #50
ErnestHouse
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Current updated list:
1) The ability to push a button named the "Dynamic Driving Control button" for Comfort, Sport and Sport Plus is standard and affects steering and acceleration points
2) The Sport Activity Package (SAP) adds *mostly* cosmetic stuff like sports seats, trim and leather steering wheel to provide an emotional "sportier" feel. It also has paddle shifter controls to the standard sport transmission that lets you shift manually with the gear shifter.
3) With the M-Sport package, you get the emotional sportier feel of the seats, a different trim, 19" wheels and some other stuff. Steering and acceleration points are programmed by the "Dynamic Driving Control button".
4) With the Dynamic Handling Package (DHP), the button ALSO changes the suspension
5) With the DHP package, acceleration is controlled by your right foot but throttle response may be adjusted by the dynamic driving control button provided you have not selected suspension only under driving mode (sport).
6) In order to get the "Comfort" ride, you need to add DHP
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 11:10 AM   #51
SoDigito
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

1) The button to switch between eco pro, comfort, sport and sport+ is called the Driving Experience Switch, which is a less confusing name. I think this switch also adjusts the suspension. My 2013 X3 35i with SAP feels tighter when I put it in sport/sport+ mode. It could be just the steering, but I think it's suspension as well.

I don't know if the Driving Experience switch comes standard. I drove an X3 back in September at the Performance Delivery Center that did not come with this feature. Maybe that was an older car and this feature was not standardized yet.

2) The SAP package also add style 309 19" wheels.

3) The sport seats between the M-sport package and SAP are the same.

4) The Dynamic Damping Control has nothing to do with the Driving Experience Switch. It is a set of sensors placed at each wheel that continuously and individually adjust the suspension every 2.5 milliseconds to meet road conditions, regardless of driving mode selected with the Driving Experience Switch. This has been said many times before, the only way to get the dynamic damping control is to add DHP. It cost $1300 with M-sport package, $1400 without.

Last edited by SoDigito; 12-01-2012 at 11:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 11:37 AM   #52
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoDigito View Post
1) The button to switch between eco pro, comfort, sport and sport+ is called the Driving Experience Switch, which is a less confusing name. I think this switch also adjusts the suspension. My 2013 X3 35i with SAP feels tighter when I put it in sport/sport+ mode. It could be just the steering, but I think it's suspension as well.

I don't know if the Driving Experience switch comes standard. I drove an X3 back in September at the Performance Delivery Center that did not come with this feature. Maybe that was an older car and this feature was not standardized yet.

2) The SAP package also add style 309 19" wheels.

3) The sport seats between the M-sport package and SAP are the same.

4) The Dynamic Damping Control has nothing to do with the Driving Experience Switch. It is a set of sensors placed at each wheel that continuously and individually adjust the suspension every 2.5 milliseconds to meet road conditions, regardless of driving mode selected with the Driving Experience Switch. This has been said many times before, the only way to get the dynamic damping control is to add DHP. It cost $1300 with M-sport package, $1400 without.
You say you have SAP, I see the configurator doesn't allow the DHP option when you opt for SAP. Is that correct?

If so, you don't have the option for DDC with SAP, from how the configurator works. Is that correct? Again if so, no active suspension features on your car. Any 'tightening up' is steering influenced.

DDC does interact with the Driving Experience Switch, it sets the base mode for the active suspension. Assuming the chassis is configued in iDrive, when switching the comfort to sport mode, the suspension settings will change comfort to sport bias.

HighlandPete

EDIT: I've tried the configurator again.... I see you can have SAP and DHP... therefore if you have both, you do have DDC.

Last edited by HighlandPete; 12-01-2012 at 11:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 12:08 PM   #53
SoDigito
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

HighlandPete

The configurator does allow the addition of DHP alone or in conjuction with SAP or M-Sport. The only way to get DDC is through DHP.

I didn't add DHP to my car, so I don't have DDC or any active suspension.

You're correct, the 'tightening up' in sport mode with only SAP and no DHP is just steering. Just double checked this with my BMW sales rep.

You're correct, the Driving Experience Switch will change the suspension with DHP when configured in the iDrive. But I want to emphasize that the key feature of Dynamic Damping Control is not the Driving Experience switch but what goes on behind the scene with the electronic sensors at the wheels.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 12:41 PM   #54
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

OK, you guys are f...ing killing me!

Look at the filthy picture below... there is a physical electrical connection to a cylindrical piece attached perpendicular to the strut. If your car does not have this (because you didn't pay for the OPTION) the suspension is not adjustable.

Don't believe the picture? Read what BMW says on their site (next image).

Now if you don't get it yet, have a look at the video I took from my car which IS equipped with the OPTIONAL dynamic dampers. You will note that when the "Driving Experience Control" button is activated (located beside the shifter -next picture), sport mode permits a selection of sport settings for the dampers and steering and/or just the drive-train.

Attached Images

12-01-2012, 02:11 PM   #55
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
OK, you guys are f...ing killing me!

Look at the filthy picture below... there is a physical electrical connection to a cylindrical piece attached perpendicular to the strut. If your car does not have this (because you didn't pay for the OPTION) the suspension is not adjustable.

Don't believe the picture? Read what BMW says on their site (next image).

Now if you don't get it yet, have a look at the video I took from my car which IS equipped with the OPTIONAL dynamic dampers. You will note that when the "Driving Experience Control" button is activated (located beside the shifter -next picture), sport mode permits a selection of sport settings for the dampers and steering and/or just the drive-train.

Just to back this up- I didn't go for the Dynamic Dampers (because I couldn't get a road test). When I select Sport Mode- I just get the option of showing Sport Display- nothing more.
If I go for another BMW after the current X3 I'll probably give Dynamic Dampers a go- hopefully they'll be standard by then
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 02:20 PM   #56
tango131
Private
Rep
Drives: Boxster S; 2013 X3 28i

Oh god. LBJ is correct. Period. Guys, pls stop. I have more pics of the dampers in my PCD delivery thread. I'm on my iPad and for some reason it is not letting me post the pics.
http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/album....ictureid=39619

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12898734

Oh, and LBJ, you should take a power washer to the underside of your car

2010 Porsche Boxster S (Mine)
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 03:51 PM   #57
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

tango... this aint the time of year to worry about the underside of the car... damn salt & sand.
      12-01-2012, 03:58 PM   #58
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Don't despair that this subject keeps rearing its head. There have been similar discussions about the 5-series suspensions and packages.

There was confusion, due to the toggle switch having comfort and sport listed. Plus the fact even without DDC, switching to sport 'tightened' the chassis. I'm sure some are still convinced they have DDC, even though they don't have the hardware. Yes, the opinion was that strong, as if the suspension had some active components, without buying the active suspension packages.

tango131, and the pictures... you X3 guys get a single proportional valve on your struts. We 5-series guys get the full ZF Sachs CDCe package with two proportional valves, one for compression and one for rebound damping. Makes the system even more advanced and controlled. Plus the extra 'normal' base setting on the toggle switch, gives us three distinctive suspension modes ahead of sport+.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 05:27 PM   #59
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Don't despair that this subject keeps rearing its head. There have been similar discussions about the 5-series suspensions and packages.

There was confusion, due to the toggle switch having comfort and sport listed. Plus the fact even without DDC, switching to sport 'tightened' the chassis. I'm sure some are still convinced they have DDC, even though they don't have the hardware. Yes, the opinion was that strong, as if the suspension had some active components, without buying the active suspension packages.

tango131, and the pictures... you X3 guys get a single proportional valve on your struts. We 5-series guys get the full ZF Sachs CDCe package with two proportional valves, one for compression and one for rebound damping. Makes the system even more advanced and controlled. Plus the extra 'normal' base setting on the toggle switch, gives us three distinctive suspension modes ahead of sport+.

HighlandPete
Are 4x4 5 series heading for the UK soon? I vaguely remember 4x4 3 series are meant to be coming. It might be difficult to wean myself off the extra ride height of an SUV- the X3 is my second SUV.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 11:11 AM   #60
noka
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 x35i M-Sport

Sorry for the dumb question. My 2013 x35i MSport has DHP (Dynamic Handling Package), including DDC (Dynamic Damper Control). How can I "feel" the difference when switching between Comfort and Sport Modes with Driving Experience Switch? On my normal commute to work, I attempted to do some easy swerves back and forth to try and feel the suspension and steering differences. I cannot really notice any difference. How noticeable is it and what do I need to do to feel the difference? Maybe I'm just numb?
      03-09-2013, 12:59 PM   #61
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by noka View Post
Sorry for the dumb question. My 2013 x35i MSport has DHP (Dynamic Handling Package), including DDC (Dynamic Damper Control). How can I "feel" the difference when switching between Comfort and Sport Modes with Driving Experience Switch? On my normal commute to work, I attempted to do some easy swerves back and forth to try and feel the suspension and steering differences. I cannot really notice any difference. How noticeable is it and what do I need to do to feel the difference? Maybe I'm just numb?
The biggest difference will be felt when going over bumps or tar strips on a highway. I believe even in comfort mode, the suspension will firm up going into curves so little difference will be felt when compared to sport mode.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 01:17 PM   #62
noka
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Is the steering changed at all, or is it the same between Comfort and Sport?

Update: To answer my own question: According to the (pdf) brochure I have, the steering is changed depending on the mode (Comfort vs. Sport) chosen but I haven't noticed any real change.

"The Driving Dynamics Control with ECO PRO tailors engine-throttle response, transmission shift characteristics and power-steering assist levels. When the X3 is equipped with Dynamic Damper Control, you can even choose the level of road feel from the suspension by selecting the COMFORT or SPORT modes."
"Driving Dynamics Control including ECO PRO mode. Choose from three settings: ECO PRO, COMFORT, and SPORT, to adjust enginethrottle response, transmission shift characteristics and power-steering assist."

Last edited by noka; 03-09-2013 at 03:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 03:12 PM   #63
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by noka View Post
Is the steering changed at all, or is it the same between Comfort and Sport?
Depends on what is configured, chassis, drivetrain or both.

For suspension and steering changes, you need to tick the 'chassis' box in settings.

Sport suspension should be noticed by body frequency changing, besides the ride quality over bumps will be less refined. Steering will weight up with the same sport switching.

My 535i has 3 suspension settings, (not the 2 of the X3) each is clearly different from another for ride quality. Sport has more NVH (noise, vibration and harshness).

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 03:18 PM   #64
noka
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I modified my post above based on some information I got in the brochure I had but I haven't noticed any significant difference yet, at least not on my normal commuting route. I'll have to pay attention as I put on more miles.
      03-09-2013, 03:43 PM   #65
citrilla
Winker
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Space Grey X3 MSport 2.0d

It is remarkable that this topic remains a continual source of confusion-- due to BMW's inability to offer an easy to understand explanation which then gives rise to inaccurate interpretations. Simply, if you want to have adjustable dampers then you probably have to pay for the privilege. It is what we call an optional extra in the UK (VDC) and it costs £930. Maybe it is extra in the USA.Without this extra the suspension settings cannot be changed but you can change the sensitivity of the steering and accelerator response using the standard buttons near the iDrive controller.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 05:56 PM   #66
noka
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrilla View Post
It is remarkable that this topic remains a continual source of confusion-- due to BMW's inability to offer an easy to understand explanation which then gives rise to inaccurate interpretations. Simply, if you want to have adjustable dampers then you probably have to pay for the privilege. It is what we call an optional extra in the UK (VDC) and it costs £930. Maybe it is extra in the USA.Without this extra the suspension settings cannot be changed but you can change the sensitivity of the steering and accelerator response using the standard buttons near the iDrive controller.
I paid for the option, so I have everything necessary. I was only commenting that I cannot really feel much (if any) difference when the setting is changed using the console rocker switch (except for throttle response, which is quite apparent).