BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-31-2015, 02:15 PM   #1
Portadown95
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i with THP, Sport Pack

Should you buy an X3? A 2013 X3 35i Owner’s Review

We have owned a 2013 X3 for just over 3 years and I wanted to share our lessons learned, regrets and other thoughts about the decision to by an X3 35i. All in all, it is very positive but if we had to do it again…

X3 OR 3 SERIES SPORT WAGON: We love our X3 but if I were shopping today we would probably choose the BMW 3 Series Sport Wagon over the X3. The X3 is probably the best handling SUV in the world (save possibly the Porsche Cayenne) but the X3 still handles like an SUV. With the taller stance and additional weight is simply does not have the same road dynamics the 3 Series Sport Wagon has. I would very strongly consider ordering a 3 Series Sport Wagon if you are thinking about buying an X3 or similar SUV. Most dealerships sell very few so you would likely have to order one.

19-INCH WHEELS AND RUN-FLATS: We ordered the “Sport Activity Package” which included 19 Inch wheels on run-flats. In retrospect, I would have probably stuck with the 35i’s base 18-Inch wheels. The 19 inchers don’t have much sidewall and made the ride less then optimal. Ditching the run flats after 25k miles helped to soften the ride but I suspect the ride would still be better with 18-inch tires and non-run flats. The performance in the snow of the 19-inch tires and their wide tread was also not the best. Had we lived in an area with more snowfall this could have been a major concern.

POWERPLANT: It was more expensive but I love the 300hp six-cylinder engine in the 35i. It is not very fuel-efficient but it launches the 4300 pound SUV very well when you need power. The exhaust note is pretty awesome too!

SOUND SYSTEM: I wish we had gotten the Harman Kardon option. The base stereo is “Ok” but having a 50k vehicle with an “ok” stereo (especially if you love music) is not something I recommend. Of course, this is BMW’s way of nickel & diming you but that is the price for driving an “Ultimate Driving Machine.”

BACKUP CAMERA: Did not get it but I wish we had. Soon it will be standard on all US vehicles; rear visibility is not the best on the X3 and if you live in a neighborhood with a lot of children this is a nice safety option.

NAVIGATION: We did not get navigation and are glad we did not. We used a 200 dollar garmin for a couple of years and now an Iphone with siri. Use this 2000 for other options or save it.

SPORT SEATS (DAKOTA LEATHER): The Sports seats are absolutely fantastic and were part of the Sport Activity Package. I love the smell and softness of the leather but I would not rule out Sensatec if you are ordering an X3; we recently got a 228i with black sensatec and we are very happy with it. No leather smell and not quite as soft but you don’t slip around as much in curves as you do with leather seats.

BMW TRAILER HITCH: It was expensive (1k) but the trailer hitch is very cool and essentially hidden when not using it. You will need an X5 to tow bigger boats but had no problems towing a 4000 lb boat.

EUROPEAN DELIVERY: You can’t do ED with an X3 or X5 as they are built in South Carolina. This is another reason to consider ordering a 3 Series Sport Wagon. We did European delivery with our 2 series and it was incredible. I hear they have reduced the discount for European Delivery (used to be 7 percent below invoice, now it is 5 percent) but it still a bucket list trip that I certainly would considering if you are getting a new BMW. If you are on a budget you can always delete a few options (Leather, navigation) and use that money and the savings for your Munich adventure!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2015, 03:09 PM   #2
jponline77
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i M Sport

This is great information... Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2015, 05:46 PM   #3
DonC
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 3.5i M sport, etc

I really like my 2013 X3 MS. I am looking at a 328 3 Sport Wagon for my wife moving her from a 2007 TL-S. Another option is the 2016 X1 MS.
2018 i3S
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2015, 09:11 PM   #4
Portadown95
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i with THP, Sport Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonC View Post
I really like my 2013 X3 MS. I am looking at a 328 3 Sport Wagon for my wife moving her from a 2007 TL-S. Another option is the 2016 X1 MS.
The Sport Wagon has the track handling package as an option. This option (M Brakes, Electronic Damping, Close ration steering, Staggered Michelin Pilot Super Sports) looks great and adds some great performance capabilities.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 09:16 PM   #5
askibum02
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 GMC Terrain Rental

Thanks for the review. I drove a '13 X3 35i tonight, and I really liked it. The only option package it didn't have was the M Sport package, which is a little disappointing, because the seats alone are worth it. I'm going to drive a Volvo on Saturday and expect to make my decision shortly there after.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 02:23 PM   #6
Crashnbrn5
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 335i GT M-Sport

Awesome MAN!!. I just got rid of mine after 3 years of worry free leasership. It was such an awesome drive. I encourage you to watch my review which scored 73K views on youtube. I was told this review I made helped at least 5 people make their choice. I now have a 2016 335 GT, and its very nice as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portadown95 View Post
We have owned a 2013 X3 for just over 3 years and I wanted to share our lessons learned, regrets and other thoughts about the decision to by an X3 35i. All in all, it is very positive but if we had to do it again…

X3 OR 3 SERIES SPORT WAGON: We love our X3 but if I were shopping today we would probably choose the BMW 3 Series Sport Wagon over the X3. The X3 is probably the best handling SUV in the world (save possibly the Porsche Cayenne) but the X3 still handles like an SUV. With the taller stance and additional weight is simply does not have the same road dynamics the 3 Series Sport Wagon has. I would very strongly consider ordering a 3 Series Sport Wagon if you are thinking about buying an X3 or similar SUV. Most dealerships sell very few so you would likely have to order one.

19-INCH WHEELS AND RUN-FLATS: We ordered the “Sport Activity Package” which included 19 Inch wheels on run-flats. In retrospect, I would have probably stuck with the 35i’s base 18-Inch wheels. The 19 inchers don’t have much sidewall and made the ride less then optimal. Ditching the run flats after 25k miles helped to soften the ride but I suspect the ride would still be better with 18-inch tires and non-run flats. The performance in the snow of the 19-inch tires and their wide tread was also not the best. Had we lived in an area with more snowfall this could have been a major concern.

POWERPLANT: It was more expensive but I love the 300hp six-cylinder engine in the 35i. It is not very fuel-efficient but it launches the 4300 pound SUV very well when you need power. The exhaust note is pretty awesome too!

SOUND SYSTEM: I wish we had gotten the Harman Kardon option. The base stereo is “Ok” but having a 50k vehicle with an “ok” stereo (especially if you love music) is not something I recommend. Of course, this is BMW’s way of nickel & diming you but that is the price for driving an “Ultimate Driving Machine.”

BACKUP CAMERA: Did not get it but I wish we had. Soon it will be standard on all US vehicles; rear visibility is not the best on the X3 and if you live in a neighborhood with a lot of children this is a nice safety option.

NAVIGATION: We did not get navigation and are glad we did not. We used a 200 dollar garmin for a couple of years and now an Iphone with siri. Use this 2000 for other options or save it.

SPORT SEATS (DAKOTA LEATHER): The Sports seats are absolutely fantastic and were part of the Sport Activity Package. I love the smell and softness of the leather but I would not rule out Sensatec if you are ordering an X3; we recently got a 228i with black sensatec and we are very happy with it. No leather smell and not quite as soft but you don’t slip around as much in curves as you do with leather seats.

BMW TRAILER HITCH: It was expensive (1k) but the trailer hitch is very cool and essentially hidden when not using it. You will need an X5 to tow bigger boats but had no problems towing a 4000 lb boat.

EUROPEAN DELIVERY: You can’t do ED with an X3 or X5 as they are built in South Carolina. This is another reason to consider ordering a 3 Series Sport Wagon. We did European delivery with our 2 series and it was incredible. I hear they have reduced the discount for European Delivery (used to be 7 percent below invoice, now it is 5 percent) but it still a bucket list trip that I certainly would considering if you are getting a new BMW. If you are on a budget you can always delete a few options (Leather, navigation) and use that money and the savings for your Munich adventure!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 02:36 PM   #7
jponline77
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i M Sport

Crshnbrn5,

Why did you sell? What features were most / least useful to you?

Edit: Saw that you got a GT. I'll add another question though, how did your trade in do with all those options? Where you still able to get a good premium over those who didn't pick as many options.

JP

Last edited by jponline77; 11-12-2015 at 08:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2015, 07:02 AM   #8
kevink1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 xDrive28d

The top 2 vehicles I considered last year were the sports wagon and the X3. Ended up with the X3 because of a little more interior storage, and was made in the US. Though if I had bought the wagon, I would have tried out the ED.

Went with the 18" wheels. I didn't want a harsher ride.

If I knew that the gas prices would stay around where they are now, I would have liked the 35. Miss the power. But I have extended range between fillips.

I wish that BMW had offered factory hitch. I still need to see about adding the hitch to my car aftermarket.
Appreciate 0