BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-27-2011, 11:12 AM   #1123
dnw
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 / 2014 520d MS

Arghh. After all this I'm thinking of changing my Mineral Silver SE to a Carbon Black M-sport. One simple reason - same cost! I recently upped the wheels to the 309s and now looking at an equivalent build on an Msport the cost diference is less than £200. The reason being that I've added most of the Msport extras to the SE (Sports Seats, steering wheel, servotronic etc) and the rest are cheaper additions to Msport trim (19" wheels, wood trim).

Given that the list price of the Msport is >£2k higher (on the 30d) clearly this is a depreciation hole waiting to happen so my head says change to an Msport.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 11:25 AM   #1124
tank531
Deckhand
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 2.0D SE xDrive (Sep 11)

I think you are right to changed if you are keeping the SE + spec. The other item that adds up quickly is the X-line trim on the SE. Looks cheap without but if you go for MSport you get the gloss back window trim anyway - hence another saving of £690!

You can always 'delete' the MSport suspension to minimum a course ride on UK roads coupled with the thin runflats you have specc'd
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 02:44 PM   #1125
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

I speced an SE to M spec as I don't like the M body kit and didn't want the harder suspension either. Plus I worked in discounts on the individual bits I would probably not have got on a M package. There may be a difference in insurance costs too, as M's can attract a premium. Bottom line was I got what I wanted for less than going the M route. Really worth doing the sums, which is hard when it gets beyond "must have" options.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 03:54 PM   #1126
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by tank531 View Post
I think you are right to changed if you are keeping the SE + spec. The other item that adds up quickly is the X-line trim on the SE. Looks cheap without but if you go for MSport you get the gloss back window trim anyway - hence another saving of £690!

You can always 'delete' the MSport suspension to minimum a course ride on UK roads coupled with the thin runflats you have specc'd
Or go for matt alu trim which looks better on dark coloured M Sports IMHO

I would be tempted with M Sport if ordering now but would probably want 20" rims which are still stupidly expensive

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 03:54 PM   #1127
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesebag View Post
OK...got THE phone call. Getting mine Friday Morning!!!!
Joy ..... is just around the corner!!

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 04:04 PM   #1128
Rogerbu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 GO1 30e M Sport

Like DNW, I realised that by the time I had spec'd up a 3.0Dse to the level I wanted, I had virtually spec'd an M Sport. As elswhere that is no problem as I personally prefer the M Sport Look.

However of more importance was my previous BMW experience(s) where on resale - Model upgrades gets extra resale value but feature upgrades count for nothing.

So I have gone for the M Sport with Sport Supension deleted.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 05:09 AM   #1129
dnw
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
Or go for matt alu trim which looks better on dark coloured M Sports IMHO
I'm not so keen on that combo - thought about it originally but after seeing pics it just looks a bit like an SE and an MSport had a love child

Well to try and make my mind up I did a 'car park run' yesterday and struck lucky with the first stop at a local Tesco Extra - a Carbon Black MSport and a 30d no less (so with the silver grill). Drove around it a few times and I'm sold! sfax, you need to see it in real life - the back looks MUCH better (I agree it looks narrower in the photos but in the real world it doesn't, just more aggressive) - also in the dark colour it doesnt look quite as mini-van as the AW (although I love that colour also) and the wheels didn't look too bad. Its amazing how different 2D photos can be to real life.

So change is going in this morning, dealer is great and rang to advise that this level of change will potentially sacrafice the build slot, which would be shame but not the end of the world.

Will update when the confirmation comes through.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 02:41 AM   #1130
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnw View Post
I'm not so keen on that combo - thought about it originally but after seeing pics it just looks a bit like an SE and an MSport had a love child

Well to try and make my mind up I did a 'car park run' yesterday and struck lucky with the first stop at a local Tesco Extra - a Carbon Black MSport and a 30d no less (so with the silver grill). Drove around it a few times and I'm sold! sfax, you need to see it in real life - the back looks MUCH better (I agree it looks narrower in the photos but in the real world it doesn't, just more aggressive) - also in the dark colour it doesnt look quite as mini-van as the AW (although I love that colour also) and the wheels didn't look too bad. Its amazing how different 2D photos can be to real life.

So change is going in this morning, dealer is great and rang to advise that this level of change will potentially sacrafice the build slot, which would be shame but not the end of the world.

Will update when the confirmation comes through.
I still haven't seen an M Sport so I'll wait until I see one and then post an (honest!) update. The matt alu is very subjective. I have this thing about cheaper cars not having "chrome" whereas premium cars do, e.g. Fiat Panda no, S Class Merc yes, but this is silly really as you should just look at the whole car and see what looks best. Good luck with your delivery date.

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 03:40 AM   #1131
cheesebag
Debadged and Alpine Weiss!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 Msport

I havent seen an Msport either (apart from the dealers) driving around. Mine will be the first one later! There are 2 other SE specs i've seen around Cannock. One AW and one Silver.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 06:21 AM   #1132
dnw
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

No change in delivery date so far

I know what you mean about chrome trim. My Q5 has it (its an Sline in Deep Sea Blue) and in that combo it looks stunning. On an SE it is a must have for me and my original order had X-line. However seeing the Msport in the metal it does have a very different character to it and IMHO the gloss black fits that better, especially with the Carbon Black exterior. The gloss black looks premium as well, like on a sports car, its not the normal cheap plastic that you get on a non-Xline SE.

If I had a Vermillion Red like Johns, I might have been tempted, as I think the sliver and red would go brilliantly together. Urgh I must stop deliberating!
      12-30-2011, 11:29 AM   #1133
cheesebag
United Kingdom
Rep

OK.... so ive only done 20 miles but..... I LOVE MY MSPORT! already downloaded the app that lets me flash my lights or lock the car! the car also downloaded the latest software update too???? I thought it was only dealers that could do this.

Just gonna have a fiddle now to get used to my Internet and Apps and I know its vain but HOW BRILLIANT are the angel eyes when Auto lights are deselected!!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 11:30 AM   #1134
cheesebag
United Kingdom
Rep

I will post pics too but obviously with the rain and mine being AW after 20 yards it needs a valet
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 11:41 AM   #1135
X35D For Me
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 35D M Sport

My 35D M Sport is due to arrive by the 11th January and it's in Carbon Black with no silly matt aluminium around the windows. I'll post pics as soon as I get it as after doing loads of research and studying loads of pics and looking at X3s in BMW showrooms, I'm convinced this is the best looking X3 combo you can get - if not I've just screwed up on £50K of car!!
X3 35D M Sport, Vermillion Red/Oyster, Fineline Wave wood, 19" alloys (369M) Prof. Media Pack, DAB, Sun Roof, Elec. seat adj.+ lumbar, Visibility Pack, Prof. Speakers, Sun Protection Glass, Reverse Cam/Top View, Seat Heating, M Sport suspension deletion, HUD.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 12:32 PM   #1136
dnw
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X35D For Me View Post
if not I've just screwed up on £50K of car!!
I wouldn't worry Although 50k is a lot for a car like this. That opens up a whole other bracket and is my remaining self-justification for sticking to the 30d (now the SE excuse is out the window!). I hope you negotiated a nice discount on that order.
      12-30-2011, 01:09 PM   #1137
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
already downloaded the app that lets me flash my lights or lock the car! the car also downloaded the latest software update too???? I thought it was only dealers that could do this.
No, there are different types of updates. You have just downloaded the update for external devices I assume (as per .bin update file thread). A full update takes a long time and requires a complete O/S re-install and can't be done by anyone except the dealer or someone with some sophisticated kit. You can't see the actual car software version without a key reader but it's in the format engine-year-month-version e.g. F025–10–12–503 where F025 is for F25, 10 is 2010 and 12 is December (this is my old actual version number before it was updated at the dealer - I needed an update for 6NR). This version number is not the same as what you see under software update on iDrive

Quote:
Just gonna have a fiddle now to get used to my Internet and Apps and I know its vain but HOW BRILLIANT are the angel eyes when Auto lights are deselected!!!!
Angel eyes are still awesome to me when I see them now despite owning my X3 for nearly a year already. Must have options are subjective but xenons are an absolute must IMHO

Enjoy. And, er,

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 02:12 PM   #1138
cheesebag
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
No, there are different types of updates. You have just downloaded the update for external devices I assume (as per .bin update file thread). A full update takes a long time and requires a complete O/S re-install and can't be done by anyone except the dealer or someone with some sophisticated kit. You can't see the actual car software version without a key reader but it's in the format engine-year-month-version e.g. F025–10–12–503 where F025 is for F25, 10 is 2010 and 12 is December (this is my old actual version number before it was updated at the dealer - I needed an update for 6NR). This version number is not the same as what you see under software update on iDrive

Angel eyes are still awesome to me when I see them now despite owning my X3 for nearly a year already. Must have options are subjective but xenons are an absolute must IMHO

Enjoy. And, er,
I know... I know!!! but not getting back till after 2 then having to pop to sainsburys in the rain meant not great pic taking circumstances.

OK... just taken my lad out for 10 minutes then had a play with BMW Apps... fantastic although my lad thought it was even better that he could watch DVD's on the Pro Nav!

Although he wasn't too impressed that the first satellite radio station was a dodgy German one!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 02:43 PM   #1139
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Ministry of Sound Internet radio may be more his bag

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 03:51 PM   #1140
cheesebag
United Kingdom
Rep

only pic I got so far was from my iphone at the dealer. Its on twitter. You can see it @cheesebag
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 04:01 PM   #1141
cheesebag
United Kingdom
Rep

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 04:07 PM   #1142
cheesebag
United Kingdom
Rep

I promise to take pics with a better camera when I can!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 04:29 PM   #1143
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Looks fantastic! I really like AW, still not seen an M Sport in the flesh, enjoy!

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 05:12 PM   #1144
cheesebag
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks.... Loving the lines of the car in "the flesh" so to speak. Glad I opted for it to be debadged too. Loving all the technology to be fair. I had to "flash the lights" again just one more time tonigy using my iphone.... I'm like a kid in a sweet shop!
Appreciate 0