BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-03-2011, 10:24 AM   #45
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Man View Post
Are thought BMW no longer accept credit card as a form of payment but only debit card? Credit cards provides the consumer with extra rights, i.e. being able to reject the product and ask for a refund if it goes wrong.
I think it depends on the dealer but I doubt they would ever let you pay the whole balance on a credit card (they may charge you for using a debit card too). I paid £1,000 deposit with a cc and I can pay a further £1,000 on a cc toward the balance with no charge. If you use a cc that gives you cashback, you get an extra £10-£30 back on £2,000 too.

The credit card shuffle requires either a cash advance (which usually carries a 2.5%-3% one-off fee) or credit cards which let you transfer a balance from your current account (effectively giving you cash in return for a cc balance). Both methods will work out considerably less than most loan APRs now available.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 10:27 AM   #46
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Should also point out that even if you only pay the deposit with a credit card you have much more cover than you would with debit card / cash if anything goes wrong.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 11:24 AM   #47
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Paid £500 deposit via credit card following above advice. Appears orders now are for del July to Sept depending on dealer. I went for 01 Sept reg as advised car worth up to £1000 more than same car reg in Aug come resale. For the sake of a couple of weeks decided to wait for the 61 plate.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 01:19 PM   #48
julesjen
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
The best site for tracking the ships progress (when you're bored!) seems to be http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais in my experience. My X3 is about halfway!
hi sfax can you help ,both ''OBERON&ELEKTRA ''ships in your original quote show port destination of SOUTHAMPTON .your latest position for elektra shows mid atlantic ,but when i checked position of oberon it shows anchored at bremerhaven did not dock at southampton,does it callat southampton on return journey .Still cannot trace using vin no,s on link shows "no records found".Went to dealers today they say still showing left plant on 14th Jan,they are no help at all ,sorry to keep troubling you ,but you seem the most reliable source of info and i hope that my x3 is on same ship as yours ,maybe this is just wishfull thinking !
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 01:49 PM   #49
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by julesjen View Post
hi sfax can you help ,both ''OBERON&ELEKTRA ''ships in your original quote show port destination of SOUTHAMPTON .your latest position for elektra shows mid atlantic ,but when i checked position of oberon it shows anchored at bremerhaven did not dock at southampton,does it callat southampton on return journey .Still cannot trace using vin no,s on link shows "no records found".Went to dealers today they say still showing left plant on 14th Jan,they are no help at all ,sorry to keep troubling you ,but you seem the most reliable source of info and i hope that my x3 is on same ship as yours ,maybe this is just wishfull thinking !
Are you sure you have the right VIN? You can check that it is likely to be valid using this (just in case your dealer read it out incorrectly). There are no letter Os incidentally, only 0s

http://www.brenz.net/services/vin_checksum.asp

I would say that if you have the correct VIN and WW says not found, it's not on the Elektra or the Oberon but I might be wrong (and I really hope I am with respect to your X3!).

Re. position, this mid-atlantic position is about right for an 11 day sail so it appears on schedule for Bremerhaven on 7/2/2011 and ultimately Southampton on 14/2/2011.

Oberon's schedule is UA050-OBE which is

CHARLESTON,SC U.S.A. 21/01/2011 21/01/2011
BREMERHAVEN GERMANY 01/02/2011 05/02/2011
ZEEBRUGGE BELGIUM 07/02/2011 07/02/2011
SOUTHAMPTON UNITED KINGDOM 08/02/2011 08/02/2011

Docked at Bremerhaven now looks correct and then it's Southampton on the way back as you said.

I don't think the dealers will get any update on their system until it arrives at Southampton (which is poor to say the least).

There are two more Charleston - Southampton voyages leaving 4/2 and 8/2 arriving 23/2 and 28/2, so if it's not on a ship yet, you should check on 5/2 and 9/2 for these using your VIN.

Good luck!

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 02:41 PM   #50
julesjen
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Are you sure you have the right VIN? You can check that it is likely to be valid using this (just in case your dealer read it out incorrectly). There are no letter Os incidentally, only 0s

I would say that if you have the correct VIN and WW says not found, it's not on the Elektra or the Oberon but I might be wrong (and I really hope I am with respect to your X3!).

Re. position, this mid-atlantic position is about right for an 11 day sail so it appears on schedule for Bremerhaven on 7/2/2011 and ultimately Southampton on 14/2/2011.

Docked at Bremerhaven now looks correct and then it's Southampton on the way back as you said.

I don't think the dealers will get any update on their system until it arrives at Southampton (which is poor to say the least).

There are two more Charleston - Southampton voyages leaving 4/2 and 8/2 arriving 23/2 and 28/2, so if it's not on a ship yet, you should check on 5/2 and 9/2 for these using your VIN.

Good luck!
thanks for your help sfax ,will keep checking
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 04:01 PM   #51
Rcluff
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3

Hi.... Also trying to find my car. No luck so far but supposed to have left plant. Hoping for something on 8th sailing. What the heck do they do with the car from factory to port????? Hope you manage to find yours.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 04:17 PM   #52
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

It's annoying but I think you have no choice but to plug in your VIN each day.

I hope when your X3s are finally loaded onto your ship that your captain stays off the booze. The captain of the Elektra is struggling to find port at Bremerhaven it would seem. See latest track from this evening....
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 04:45 PM   #53
TuffLittleUnit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G26 420d MSport Pro

... and being full of BMW's I bet he didn't indicate once.

I guess I'll have to stop with those sorts of comments soon (well, maybe this year if I'm lucky).

One of the few naff things I found with the X3 was the way the indicator and wiper stalks function - it's almost like they're pandering to the stereotype above.
      02-08-2011, 12:37 AM   #54
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffLittleUnit View Post
... and being full of BMW's I bet he didn't indicate once.

I guess I'll have to stop with those sorts of comments soon (well, maybe this year if I'm lucky).

One of the few naff things I found with the X3 was the way the indicator and wiper stalks function - it's almost like they're pandering to the stereotype above.
I may have been guilty of the odd BMW driver joke in the past . Of course I'm more grown up and mature now that I've bought one.....

I didn't like the indicators on my test drives but hoped I would get used to them. Much prefer how they function in my VW, but hopefully with time I'll see the light and grow to love them.

No rain on either of my test drives so I may dislike the wiper function as well.

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 06:41 AM   #55
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Surprised y'all didn't like the indicator stalk. What was it?

Was the triple-signal feature enabled? I've come to really like that feature.

Don't know if this is at all what y'all experienced, but when I first a BMW I was frustrated with the indicators. First, the resistance bit was different than my other cars. In those cars canceling the indicator was a bop in the opposite direction. In the BMW if you do that you tend to end up indicating the opposite direction. Canceling is a light bop in same direction you're already indicating. After a bit, that became second nature.

Second, the triple-signal function was disabled. Once I turned that on I really liked it. A light press indicates three times in that direction. Great for lane changes, quick, small turns, and the like. For me this function is a great economy when driving in traffic, at high speed, etc. A little press to the stalk and hands back on the wheel.

Maybe y'all already know all the above and just don't prefer the way it works. Offered it up just in case any of it was new/useful.
      02-08-2011, 07:14 AM   #56
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
Surprised y'all didn't like the indicator stalk. What was it?

Was the triple-signal feature enabled? I've come to really like that feature.

Don't know if this is at all what y'all experienced, but when I first a BMW I was frustrated with the indicators. First, the resistance bit was different than my other cars. In those cars canceling the indicator was a bop in the opposite direction. In the BMW if you do that you tend to end up indicating the opposite direction. Canceling is a light bop in same direction you're already indicating. After a bit, that became second nature.

Second, the triple-signal function was disabled. Once I turned that on I really liked it. A light press indicates three times in that direction. Great for lane changes, quick, small turns, and the like. For me this function is a great economy when driving in traffic, at high speed, etc. A little press to the stalk and hands back on the wheel.

Maybe y'all already know all the above and just don't prefer the way it works. Offered it up just in case any of it was new/useful.
I didn't know what mode was enabled but found it a bit unusual. I think once I've read the manual and sorted out how it works, I'll be fine with it. There wasn't much time on the test drives to really test it out to be honest.

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 01:39 PM   #57
TuffLittleUnit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G26 420d MSport Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
Don't know if this is at all what y'all experienced, but when I first a BMW I was frustrated with the indicators. First, the resistance bit was different than my other cars. In those cars canceling the indicator was a bop in the opposite direction. In the BMW if you do that you tend to end up indicating the opposite direction. Canceling is a light bop in same direction you're already indicating.
I'd not figured that another push in the SAME direction was required to cancel the indicator. I was trying to cancel by pushing in the opposite direction which often lead to incorrect signalling. Thanks for the tip!

Overtaking mode (triple wink) was what I've been used to from Audi so that felt natural.
      02-08-2011, 02:10 PM   #58
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffLittleUnit View Post
I'd not figured that another push in the SAME direction was required to cancel the indicator. I was trying to cancel by pushing in the opposite direction which often lead to incorrect signalling. Thanks for the tip!

Overtaking mode (triple wink) was what I've been used to from Audi so that felt natural.
This is exactly the problem I had (cancelling). I was pressing in the opposite direction and indicating all over the shop. Now it makes sense. Thanks Nahoa

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 02:31 PM   #59
julesjen
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

Good luck!
hi sfax have beenwatching the Elektra have a nice tour around the seas outside Bremerhaven hope your x3 is going to be ok. went to dealers today they said my x3 was in consignment ,any ideas on what they mean because they could not tell me if it was on a ship,still cant find any info using WW track &trace with my vin number, just hope its been on the Elektra all along and hope its not getting dizzy from the journey
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 02:59 PM   #60
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
hi sfax have beenwatching the Elektra have a nice tour around the seas outside Bremerhaven hope your x3 is going to be ok. went to dealers today they said my x3 was in consignment ,any ideas on what they mean because they could not tell me if it was on a ship,still cant find any info using WW track &trace with my vin number, just hope its been on the Elektra all along and hope its not getting dizzy from the journey
Thanks. I was a bit worried that it could be going round in circles, taking on water and then listing!

In consignment isn't helpful at all as to me that covers the entire trip from Spartanburg to the dealer. It's not too late for it to be on Faust which sails today. I think I checked WW late in the evening on the day that Elektra sailed out of Charleston and that was the first time I got a VIN match.

Must be very frustrating for you . Hope you find out soon

If it is on Elektra, I think you'll get a call next Monday or Tuesday.

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 04:28 PM   #61
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

I know the UK is generally disliked the world over, particularly in Europe (see recent Eurovision Song Contest results), but it's still quite disappointing to see that some of our newly ordered and eagerly anticipated X3s (and X5s etc) sail right past Southampton on their to Bremerhaven, when surely offloading the UK order cars at Southampton first would save some fuel They then go up to Sweden and Belgium before popping in at Southampton on their return trip to the US

Below is Elektra, now on her way to Gothenburg. No offence to the guys in Stockholm, just envy
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 03:09 AM   #62
perto
Private First Class
Norway
Rep
Drives: BMW I3S + IX40

I heard something abut a strike on WW lines maybe they gone lay the ship up in Gothenburg!!! http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/images...nfused0068.gif
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 03:38 AM   #63
julesjen
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I know the UK is generally disliked the world over, particularly in Europe (see recent Eurovision Song Contest results), but it's still quite disappointing to see that some of our newly ordered and eagerly anticipated X3s (and X5s etc) sail right past Southampton on their to Bremerhaven, when surely offloading the UK order cars at Southampton first would save some fuel They then go up to Sweden and Belgium before popping in at Southampton on their return trip to the US

Below is Elektra, now on her way to Gothenburg. No offence to the guys in Stockholm, just envy
hi sfax by the time you get your x3 it will have done 5000 miles the suspence of it actually getting to the UK must be really starting to get to you .but i,m sure the wait is going to be worth it.I,ve had 3 p reviuos x3 and drive an x1 at the moment ,but i am really looking forward to getting the F25 more than any previous BMW .the 14th feb is only next week and you should get a call from your dealer shortly after .good luck
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 07:28 AM   #64
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by perto View Post
I heard something abut a strike on WW lines maybe they gone lay the ship up in Gothenburg!!! http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/images...nfused0068.gif
I've always fancied a trip to Gothenburg

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 07:31 AM   #65
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
hi sfax by the time you get your x3 it will have done 5000 miles the suspence of it actually getting to the UK must be really starting to get to you .but i,m sure the wait is going to be worth it.I,ve had 3 p reviuos x3 and drive an x1 at the moment ,but i am really looking forward to getting the F25 more than any previous BMW .the 14th feb is only next week and you should get a call from your dealer shortly after .good luck
Cheers, it's not too bad to be honest, I just like whingeing! I'd be more annoyed not knowing where it was so I can understand how you feel. You could still be pleasantly surprised and get a call next week as well. Please to hear about your previous experience with BMW. It's my first BMW and I've only owned VWs before. I can't wait to finally pick it up.

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 10:43 AM   #66
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Hmmm, so my dealer called me today and said my car is now "in the UK" and will be shipped to them soon. But according to WW's VIN tracking system, it's still in port in Gothenburg and won't arrive in the UK until Monday! Very odd.

Last edited by sfax; 02-11-2011 at 02:29 PM..
Appreciate 0