BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-18-2011, 05:20 AM   #23
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
You sure? I am ordering M-Sport pack with VDC, and I am assuming that my car will still come with the lower ride height.
That's not true. You can have dynamic package + VDC on a UK order and dynamic package has sports suspension

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 02:56 PM   #24
Dobs
Rep
Drives: F25 xdrive20d

VDC

sfax,

The configurator de-selects Dynamic Pack if you then select VDC, unless there is another way. Not really any point in having both though.

I guess that that the standard suspension may be too soft for pressing on, the sports suspension is an unknown so to cover all bases then VDC makes sense, and has great reviews. Not sure if the other options offer dynamic damping control a la Merc - which doe give a great ride handling combo.

That early adopters for you!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 03:13 PM   #25
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

And it is a Merc-like ride with good handling we all seek. Now where did I leave my Golden Fleece? Still think VDC will not be on my car as if we have doubts and questions come resale it will be worth less than a bean.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 03:19 PM   #26
Dobs
Rep
Drives: F25 xdrive20d

X3buyerscotland,

No point asking for an opinion if you don't want one. In my opinion you want good body control with comfort, and Merc tends to do that best.

Understood each to their own and I think any options are going to be great considering the capabilities of the new X3.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 03:25 PM   #27
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep

My point is nobody who had tried with AND without has posted a contrast. I thought without was really good, hence my asking for advice on if it could get even better. So all views very welcome.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 03:49 PM   #28
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobs View Post
sfax,

The configurator de-selects Dynamic Pack if you then select VDC, unless there is another way. Not really any point in having both though.

I guess that that the standard suspension may be too soft for pressing on, the sports suspension is an unknown so to cover all bases then VDC makes sense, and has great reviews. Not sure if the other options offer dynamic damping control a la Merc - which doe give a great ride handling combo.

That early adopters for you!
Thanks, I didn't realise that happens, just clicked the package and then VDC and didn't see it remove the package without telling me - nice touch! My bad!

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 03:52 PM   #29
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3buyerScotland View Post
My point is nobody who had tried with AND without has posted a contrast. I thought without was really good, hence my asking for advice on if it could get even better. So all views very welcome.
I got it and I'm also interested to get feedback from anyone who has driven both VDC and non VDC, preferably down the same very bumpy road!

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 04:01 PM   #30
fedinand
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3, '11 GTI

I'll swing by the dealers this weekend to see if I can test a non-dynamic handling X3 to see how it compares with the one I drove with it….hopefully nothing comes up this weekend
      01-18-2011, 04:13 PM   #31
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedinand View Post
I'll swing by the dealers this weekend to see if I can test a non-dynamic handling X3 to see how it compares with the one I drove with it….hopefully nothing comes up this weekend
You know it makes sense fedinand!

I think forum members will eventually import and buy these cars themselves one day. Who needs dealers? They don't know any of the answers to difficult questions on options. They don't give you any more information on your order than you can get online direct from BMW. All that's missing are a few demonstrators to pass around between members so that they can try before they buy

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 05:05 PM   #32
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep

Some dealers won't even comment on some options, which is amazing seeing as they are actually selling a very expensive option. These are never going to be mega volume cars so why are staff not given a briefing DVD on such things, as questions will come up? Indeed, why aren't customers who ask nicely?!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 02:22 AM   #33
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3buyerScotland View Post
Some dealers won't even comment on some options, which is amazing seeing as they are actually selling a very expensive option. These are never going to be mega volume cars so why are staff not given a briefing DVD on such things, as questions will come up? Indeed, why aren't customers who ask nicely?!
I'm miffed by it all but maybe I'm just not used to it. I imported the last car that I bought new so didn't experience dealerships.

I would personally be embarrassed to work at a dealership and not know all about all of the cars in my showroom. It isn't that hard to find about about this stuff and I'm sure BMW make the information available to them.

Audi still top the clueless list in my experience, when I had to explain to the guy there that yes, Audi did do a Q5 in a manual and it came with different power outputs as well. Dear oh dear.

Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 03:46 AM   #34
ayio
Rep
Drives: F25 in process

yeah, dealers are funny.. once before NY I tried to check out the car and called one local dealer asking if they have F25 in their showroom.. and the Sales Manager's answer just killed me - "what does F25 stand for?!"...
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 06:25 AM   #35
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

Have anyone noticed that all the press cars being used for magazine reviews have had VDC and BMW have not brought along a car without to make a comparision for obvious reasons!!! $$$$$ ker ching! On the new 5, it makes a big difference (according to journos) when pressing on and thus a good option.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 06:58 AM   #36
AC888
Private
Rep
Drives: Porsche Boxster, Mini Clubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayio View Post
yeah, dealers are funny.. once before NY I tried to check out the car and called one local dealer asking if they have F25 in their showroom.. and the Sales Manager's answer just killed me - "what does F25 stand for?!"...
My dealer told me sports suspension is free as its Ģ0 on the configr, he knows nothing about the car and don't even bother to read the brochure!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 07:49 AM   #37
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Mine told me the Adaptive Steering on the new X3 used the rear wheels of the X3 to steer. He did seem to know the rest of the car pretty well, but . . .
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 07:53 AM   #38
arvid
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 20D M-sport

I have a 20D M-sport on order, and sport suspension is then included. But you can also order it with normal suspension (like I did, same cost). If I had the money to buy a 35 or 30d then I would have taken VDC but with just 184 horsepower "Normal" mode is enough, itīs no sportscar...
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 08:04 AM   #39
ktjernstrom
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 Xdrive20d 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvid View Post
I have a 20D M-sport on order, and sport suspension is then included. But you can also order it with normal suspension (like I did, same cost). If I had the money to buy a 35 or 30d then I would have taken VDC but with just 184 horsepower "Normal" mode is enough, itīs no sportscar...

I made the exact same judgment. Considering the type of car and the power, normal suspension will most likely give the best overall balance. Especially considering 19" wheels...

Karl
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 08:07 AM   #40
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvid View Post
If I had the money to buy a 35 or 30d then I would have taken VDC but with just 184 horsepower "Normal" mode is enough, itīs no sportscar...
+1 That was my rationale as well although you also miss out on the dynamic damping in normal mode which might make for a smoother ride over bumps (still waiting for feedback from someone that has driven a non-VDC and compared it to VDC in normal mode)

I think it's best to spend the money on something else

Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 01:01 AM   #41
Neo-Orpheus
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Astra

I've driven both VDC and non VDC cars and the suspension is pretty much the same. The only different was the quicker throttle response so it flies when you bang on the peddle. In non sports mode, there is some lag with the throttle response which i didn't like.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 02:37 AM   #42
acey81
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 40d M-sport; F80 M3

I'd say that VDC is not an "essential" option. I think the basic idea is flawed, with the normal, sport and sport+ settings. This is especially true if you are going for the any of the dieselversions.

I think if the option was connected to air suspension, and affected the ride height and was setup with "comfort, normal, sport" it would actually make sense. As you have now, the normal setting is no more comfortable than the standard suspension, and even sport+ the difference is hardly noticeable.

Fun gimmick, but in most case adds none/little value.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 02:58 AM   #43
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Originally Posted by acey81 View Post
I'd say that VDC is not an "essential" option. I think the basic idea is flawed, with the normal, sport and sport+ settings. This is especially true if you are going for the any of the dieselversions.

I think if the option was connected to air suspension, and affected the ride height and was setup with "comfort, normal, sport" it would actually make sense. As you have now, the normal setting is no more comfortable than the standard suspension, and even sport+ the difference is hardly noticeable.

Fun gimmick, but in most case adds none/little value.
i Would love to believe so too, i ain't ordering it for sure more electrics more stuff that can go wrong
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 04:19 AM   #44
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo-Orpheus View Post
I've driven both VDC and non VDC cars and the suspension is pretty much the same. The only different was the quicker throttle response so it flies when you bang on the peddle. In non sports mode, there is some lag with the throttle response which i didn't like.
If u just want the configurable throttle & steering settings on a 35i, there's no need to get VDC. All u need is DDC (Driver Dynamic Control) which comes with Sport Automatic Gearbox.
Unfortunately, if u want DDC with other engine versions then u must get VDC &/or Sport Steering.
Appreciate 0