BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-26-2015, 06:21 PM   #1
JSGR8
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 xDrive28i

Question - width of trunk

Hey all,

Quick question:

I have not taken delivery yet, but need to know...How wide is the interior of the 2016 X3 trunk from the two closest points? I'm wondering if it will fit four tires across standing up? Is it 42" across?

JSGR8
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2015, 05:43 AM   #2
MichiganMike
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
I measured the width of the cargo space in my 2016 X3. It is about 43" wide at the narrowest point.

The width was also important to me as the space needed to accommodate two dog crates side by side, each of which was about 20 inches wide.

Enjoy your X3.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2015, 12:10 PM   #3
JSGR8
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganMike View Post
I measured the width of the cargo space in my 2016 X3. It is about 43" wide at the narrowest point.

The width was also important to me as the space needed to accommodate two dog crates side by side, each of which was about 20 inches wide.

Enjoy your X3.
Thanks for the quick reply MM.

I guess I CAN fit four tires (245/45/19) across the trunk sitting upright.

JSGR8
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2015, 12:58 PM   #4
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSGR8 View Post
I guess I CAN fit four tires (245/45/19) across the trunk sitting upright.
You don't really want to do that. I just experienced this when I had my summer wheels changed over to my winter wheels, and the new guy at my indy stood the summer wheels up after the changeover.

They're going to roll on stops and acceleration. They'll bang into the back of the front seats on stops, and slam into the rear hatch on acceleration. One wheel is a heck of a hit, all four will sound like you're trying to blow out the rear hatch. I pulled over and rearranged them.

Lay one down on the right side, lay the second down on an angle on top of it. Lay the third down on the left side, and lay the fourth down on an angle on top of it.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2015, 01:12 PM   #5
JSGR8
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02420X3 View Post
You don't really want to do that. I just experienced this when I had my summer wheels changed over to my winter wheels, and the new guy at my indy stood the summer wheels up after the changeover.

They're going to roll on stops and acceleration. They'll bang into the back of the front seats on stops, and slam into the rear hatch on acceleration. One wheel is a heck of a hit, all four will sound like you're trying to blow out the rear hatch. I pulled over and rearranged them.

Lay one down on the right side, lay the second down on an angle on top of it. Lay the third down on the left side, and lay the fourth down on an angle on top of it.

Ooooh. Thanks. Good to know. I'm guessing you have the rear seats folded down? In my CRV, I can actually tilt the back seats so it would hold the tires snug againt the hatch, but I guess the X3 rear seats don't tilt back. The '06 CRV rear seats slide back/forth, fold down, and tilt back. The '16 BMW only does 1 of the 3. Sigh.

I'm bringing winter 18" winters with me in the CRV to take delivery of the X3, and have them swapped on immediately. First time passengers will be the 19" stock tires and rims, LOL.

Thank you all for the advice.

JSGR8
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 05:54 AM   #6
02420X3
Captain
Rep

Yes, I have the rear seats folded down. I haven't tried the fit with the rear seats up. It might work, and there would be less room for the wheels to roll.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 06:59 AM   #7
MichiganMike
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
If you are worried about the tires rolling in transit, you might bring some rope and cardboard boxes. Run the rope through the tires and secure the rope to the luggage tie-downs in the X3. Use the cardboard boxes to wedge the tires in place to limit space for movement.

I have also carried winter tires in my 535i wagon and fold the rear seat. The tires may lay flat or are stacked and braced in place by other tires.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 08:31 PM   #8
JSGR8
Private
Rep

Took delivery last night.

Brought my winter tires on rims with me...discovered one tire was flat; had a gash on the side. What an absolute downer. They did not have the same tire in stock.

So, I had to drive off with the stock 19" rims/tires. What made it worse was the first winter storm hit us hard with freezing rain on my drive home. It was VERY slow, slippery, and scary.

Anyway, I tried standing the 18" tires in the trunk, and they do not fit; not enough clearance where the tailgate slopes; the tailgate will not close all the way. If only the rear seats are able to slide forward. Ah well.

JSGR8
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 05:57 AM   #9
02420X3
Captain
Rep

Your dealer may tell you that rather than replacing just one winter tire, that you should keep the outside diameter the same on all four tires and replace all four. You may or may not agree, but you should at least consider replacing both the damaged tire and the other tire on the same axle. Measuring the remaining tread may be useful in deciding what to do.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 08:09 PM   #10
JSGR8
Private
Rep

Got it to fit!

For those that care about being able to fit four tires on rims in the trunk standing upright, so you can utilize the back seats for passengers. I got it to go!! Well, sorta.

The stock 19" rims with rubber fit in the trunk "almost" perfectly. Here's how I did it.

-If you just load all four tires in upright they will fit perfect across the trunk, BUT you will not be able to close the tailgate.

-What you need to do is fold down one seat (preferably the 40% for those who don't have 40/20/40).
-Load in all the tires, and use a 4x4 or 2x4 piece of lumber across the floor of the trunk to push the tires at the base as snug as possible against the rear seats.
-Push ONE tire through the folded down seat.
-Close the tailgate and make sure it locks. You may have to wiggle or tilt the end tire just slightly for the tailgate to close completely.
-Once tailgate is locked in, go to the back seat and gently push the one tire back against the tailgate. Place a piece of wood to stop the tire from rolling forward. You can now fold the one seat back upright. The seat won't lock back in place though (well it may if you slam it with enough force, but I chose not to try that, LOL), so the seat is not safely usable, but at least you now have two seats for passengers in the back.
-The tires sit quite snug in the back and will not move at all if your piece of wood is nicely lodged in underneath the tires.

That's what I did when I had to swap on the winter tires and drop off the wife and kids at the theatre.

Hope this helps.

JSGR8
Appreciate 0