BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-11-2020, 06:20 PM   #1
azentropy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 GS X3 3.5

Thanks but moving on

A little thanks and a little rant. Thanks everyone as I enjoyed these forums over the years. I didn’t post much, but did browse often.

Sadly I sold my beloved 2015 BMW X3 xDrive35 last week and for the first time in 20 years I’m not a BMW owner. I replaced my 3 Series with a Tesla Model 3 two years ago and now I’ll be replacing the X3 with the new Tesla Model Y.

I’ve been extremely disappointed with the pace of BMW in creating solid pure EV options. Delay after delay after cancellation after disappointing product etc. This isn’t meant to be an argument of EV versus ICE or BMW versus Tesla as there are pros and cons for each. However owning a Model 3 now for 2 years the EV argument is over for me. I’ll never go back to ICE. Hopefully BMW releases solid options instead of just showing concepts and they will be an option for me in the future.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2020, 10:32 PM   #2
spelk3
Confused Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3,i3,i3; Harley FLSTF

Enjoy the Tesla’s. I have several friends that swear they are the best cars they have ever owned.

Two BMW i3 BEV’s and an X3 xDrive35i cover my family’s driving needs.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2020, 11:33 PM   #3
pdubq
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘15 650ix GC, ‘14 X35i MSport

Good luck azentropy ! You only live once and variety is the spice of life. I almost left BMW’s completely after the extreme disappointment with build, materials and drive quality on my 2016 3 series. Compared to previous 08 535 and 09 x5d, that 3 was less ultimate driving machine and more Toyota Corolla.
Luckily a new bmw mechanic opened up in town and is just an incredible person and mechanic, so when I was back in the market but sure I wanted a v8, I evaluated BMW’s offerings and so glad I landed on a 650 gran coupe... just picked up a ‘14 x35i and couldn’t be happier. Build, materials and ride quality, to me, on this, remind me of M class cars I’d bought and sold years past, night and day difference from the 320i lease I had. But you can see how they shift focus and balance across the offerings, cut corners in some models to out preform industry on others. I test drove an X1 xdrive35i and road noise was so bad, amazing the differences just between X1 and X3...

Anyways, I figure I’ll someday be telling my grandkids about the good old days when we DROVE cars, didn’t just have them drive us, and when we burned fuel and heard amazing exhaust notes. I’m gonna be with combustion until the bitter end, (which I think I’ll see in my lifetime) . Although I do like my electric mower lol
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 10:58 AM   #4
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Going electric...go Big or go home - this car is impressive, the interior/instrument layout beats the Tesla iPad setup in my book; of course pricetag is a bit steeper than a Model 3

Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 11:54 AM   #5
the_saintusa
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgosma View Post
Going electric...go Big or go home - this car is impressive, the interior/instrument layout beats the Tesla iPad setup in my book; of course pricetag is a bit steeper than a Model 3

Yes please

Hoping the next car in the garage is that Taycan
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 09:07 AM   #6
evilchargerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 (N55), 2014 I01 (REX)

best of luck! I dont blame ya at all. a model y is a worthy replacement!

similar to spelk3, our household has a 2014 bmw i3 rex for for our m-f work commute (saves us $250/mo in gas compared to a honda fit). and a 2012 x3 xdrive35i for long road trips to vegas, hauling grandma and the baby around town, and those costco runs cause.... you can never have enough tp ... am I right?!

in my humble opinion, there's plenty of room in the world for both ev's and i.c.e's. the torque in an ev is simply intoxicating. the exhaust notes of our n55 is ... imo ... to die for.
Appreciate 0