BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-16-2011, 12:32 PM   #111
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivem2 View Post
At 65mph and driving like a nun I got 43mpg (UK). My E93 335i would do something like the 31.8mpg cruising at 80mph. The F25 is just 60kg heavier but a lot less slippery.
It will improve over the next few thousand miles.
      10-16-2011, 12:37 PM   #112
greg2step
X3 Owner/Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukat View Post
Is there a button in the cockpit to pop-open the gas cap? The manual shows you press the back of the lid to pop it open, but gas station attendants are used to the driver pressing a button to pop it open. They all stand around or knock on the window telling me to open it and I have to explain, "Press the back of the lid" every time.
Insert rant about living in a state that's all full serve pumps. you have to press it in to open, no release inside the car. my 3 series worked the same way.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 12:44 PM   #113
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg2step View Post
Insert rant about living in a state that's all full serve pumps. you have to press it in to open, no release inside the car. my 3 series worked the same way.
It's actually illegal in NJ to fill your own gas. My best guess is to generate additional employment?
      10-16-2011, 12:54 PM   #114
greg2step
X3 Owner/Driver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
been that way for many years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filling_station

New Jersey and Oregon only in the US.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 12:57 PM   #115
greg2step
X3 Owner/Driver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
apparently is is legal to pump your own diesel - another reason to sell the Xdrive 35d in the US.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 07:16 PM   #116
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Last few days I've been starting the car with my door open and noticed that for the first 20 seconds of a cold start it runs very loud. After 20 seconds it quiets down a lot. RPM's are fine even on cold start. I've revved it in neutral to 3,000 rpm and it runs quiet, not even close to the first 20 seconds of a cold start.

Any idea why it runs so loud? I was thinking initial cold start routes the exhaust via the direct exist in the muffler, then it switches to the alternate quieter path. Now that I've heard how loud it is with the door open I want to be sure it's normal.

Last edited by Dukat; 10-17-2011 at 07:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 08:39 PM   #117
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Last few days I've been starting the car with my door open and noticed that for the first 20 seconds of a cold start it runs very loud. After 20 seconds it quiets down a lot. RPM's are fine even on cold start. I've revved it in neutral to 3,000 rpm and it runs quiet, not even close to the first 20 seconds of a cold start.

Any idea why it runs so loud? I was thinking initial cold start routes the exhaust via the direct exist in the muffler, then it switches to the alternate quieter path. Now that I've heard how loud it is with the door open I want to be sure it's normal.
Totally normal. It's crazy loud on start up, then quiets down. When we had guests in from out of town and I started it up in the garage, they asked what was wrong with it because it was so loud.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 08:42 PM   #118
greg2step
X3 Owner/Driver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Mine definately sounds like you describe on startup, but i don't think its a bad sound or a problem. I kind of like that sound. Its kind of manly, although perhaps not enough for mr X5 in that other thread.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 08:42 PM   #119
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the thrill View Post
Totally normal. It's crazy loud on start up, then quiets down. When we had guests in from out of town and I started it up in the garage, they asked what was wrong with it because it was so loud.
lol. As long as it's normal I'm okay with it, although a technical explanation would be interesting if anyone knows it.
      10-18-2011, 10:42 PM   #120
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Is there a way to see the name of the song being played on FM radio? It's a feature that's been around in car radios for a while, even cheap cars. I found the option in FM config that displays the station name but not the song being played.
      10-18-2011, 11:37 PM   #121
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
lol. As long as it's normal I'm okay with it, although a technical explanation would be interesting if anyone knows it.
Upon cold startup (I believe Lotus explained this elsewhere but I'm too lazy to find it), the 35i engine idles at around 1200-1300 rpms and sometimes 1500 (with the understanding that one would not be experiencing the idle jumping issue). BMW claims that this high idle is to allow the engine to warm up more quickly. In addition, the exhaust valve is closed during this warm-up period to increase back-pressure (in what I assume is an attempt to keep hot air from escaping the engine). Consider the number of exhaust openings available as a function of the speed of an amount of exhaust emitted over a given period of time. With less exhaust openings, a given amount of exhaust will escape the available opening(s) more quickly than if both/all exhaust pipes were open. If we remember that the volume of the exhaust note in dB is proportional to the amount of exhaust being emitted at a given time, this higher idle generates a louder sound until the engine has heated up and back pressure is relieved.

Hope that helps! Lotus, feel free to correct me if need be; I am no expert, at least not as much as you are.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 11:54 PM   #122
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the confirmation on the exhaust valve switching Judd.

I thought I remembered Lotus posting a schematic showing how the exhaust system can regulate the path the exhaust takes. Wasn't sure if it was my imagination.

Now I can explain it to people who tell me my engine must be broken.
      10-19-2011, 06:08 PM   #123
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Quote:
Is there a way to see the name of the song being played on FM radio? It's a feature that's been around in car radios for a while, even cheap cars. I found the option in FM config that displays the station name but not the song being played.
Maybe. It depends on the station. Station Info may or may not be present. The two HD stations that I checked had it, another non-HD station did not.

Displaying additional information
Some stations broadcast additional information
on the current track, such as the name of the artist.
1. Select the desired station.
2. Open "Options".
3. "Station info"

You can also get some information from stations by enabling RDS. The list of FM frequencies will change to whatever information the station chooses to send out, which is the station name or call letters in some cases, and junk in some cases. You may get information on station, artist, and title displayed in the upper right corner of the screen.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 09:06 PM   #124
colson79
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i DSB

Quote:
Thanks for the confirmation on the exhaust valve switching Judd.

I thought I remembered Lotus posting a schematic showing how the exhaust system can regulate the path the exhaust takes. Wasn't sure if it was my imagination.

Now I can explain it to people who tell me my engine must be broken.
I remember seeing this schematic posted here as well. There was a valve on the 35i that would allow the exhaust to flow easier when you hammer the throttle.
      10-19-2011, 09:16 PM   #125
colson79
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i DSB

I found the thread with the schematic.

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showth...hlight=exhaust
      10-20-2011, 12:00 AM   #126
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by colson79 View Post
I found the thread with the schematic.

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showth...hlight=exhaust
That's exactly the post I was thinking of. Good find, thanks!

Lotus's response explains the loud 20 seconds on the 35i start:
The "throaty", louder system is delivered on 35i models only. It uses a "Dual-Path" muffler that uses a quieter path through the muffler for light load cruising and a direct "straight-through" path during start up, at large throttle openings, and during turbo boosted operation. A electronically controlled vacuum actuator switches the muffler path.
      10-20-2011, 12:39 AM   #127
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
That's exactly the post I was thinking of. Good find, thanks!

Lotus's response explains the loud 20 seconds on the 35i start:
The "throaty", louder system is delivered on 35i models only. It uses a "Dual-Path" muffler that uses a quieter path through the muffler for light load cruising and a direct "straight-through" path during start up, at large throttle openings, and during turbo boosted operation. A electronically controlled vacuum actuator switches the muffler path.
That's the one!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 09:30 AM   #128
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I may have a brake issue..
I recall the 2 test cars I tried braked very hard with the slightest pressure on the brake pedal.

On mine I have to push it pretty far down to get moderate braking and if I need to stop suddenly I have to press it to the floor, and even then it feels soft.

I stopped by the closest dealer to me, they said it's fine and if I don't like it I should go back to the dealer I bought it at. (Don't give BMW of Edison your business).

How is the brake response in your cars? Do you have to press down fairly far down before your cars start to brake?
      10-22-2011, 10:52 AM   #129
Chinoxblu20
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535xi 'White on White'

Quote:
I may have a brake issue..
I recall the 2 test cars I tried braked very hard with the slightest pressure on the brake pedal.

On mine I have to push it pretty far down to get moderate braking and if I need to stop suddenly I have to press it to the floor, and even then it feels soft.

I stopped by the closest dealer to me, they said it's fine and if I don't like it I should go back to the dealer I bought it at. (Don't give BMW of Edison your business).

How is the brake response in your cars? Do you have to press down fairly far down before your cars start to brake?
Hey where did you purchase your x3? Looking to buy the same setup you did but with M-Sport package... Do you mind pm or reply hear your deal? Want to know what to expect when I go for mine this week!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 11:06 AM   #130
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinoxblu20 View Post
Hey where did you purchase your x3? Looking to buy the same setup you did but with M-Sport package... Do you mind pm or reply hear your deal? Want to know what to expect when I go for mine this week!
I got mine at Princeton BMW.
MSRP was $55,275
I paid $52,550 + Tax/Title/License fee's.
I also picked up the 5 year tire warranty for $1,500 (MSRP - $1,900).

Princeton offered the best discount & trade-in price of all the local dealers I visited.
      10-24-2011, 12:00 PM   #131
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

New photo!
      10-24-2011, 12:44 PM   #132
ctski1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 328, 2017 X1

Quote:
New photo!
Super nice X3!

Personally, I would ditch the mud flaps. They do nothing to protect your car. Once you put them on, you have to keep ‘em on. When you remove them – you’ll have visible marks where they were contacting the body. Plus, in the winter you’ll have more snow and ice to accumulate in your wheel well, but hey – to each his own.
My X3 is finally in “Production Begins” status…
Appreciate 0