BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-25-2010, 11:48 AM   #1
InTheNightKitchen
Ignorance is Bliss?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 of Many

Illuminate me?

Can anyone "thoroughly" explain the allure of the X3? No disrespect intended towards anyone's purchase but I just don't see the appeal...
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2010, 12:54 PM   #2
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

In the UK there is an obvious appeal because of the 50MPG fuel economy and relatively low CO2 emissions (and hence tax costs) of the 2.0d compared with an X5 which also costs 14,000GBP more. The appeal is demonstrated by its early popularity and the fact you already have to wait over 4 months for one here.

But allure is wholly subjective and one man's meat is another man's poison!

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2010, 01:18 PM   #3
InTheNightKitchen
Ignorance is Bliss?
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
In the UK there is an obvious appeal because of the 50MPG fuel economy and relatively low CO2 emissions (and hence tax costs) of the 2.0d compared with an X5 which also costs 14,000GBP more. The appeal is demonstrated by its early popularity and the fact you already have to wait over 4 months for one here.

But allure is wholly subjective and one man's meat is another man's poison!
That makes perfect sense for Europe and the UK, unfortunately the US doesn't get the diesel. I guess it's very similar to older model STI's, not very attractive but it's other qualities are highly sort after. It's just seems strange for the states with only two offerings for people to be intrigued. I'm not sure of it's offroad capabilities but don't you get the exact same platform or engines in other models give or take some weight?
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2010, 01:18 PM   #4
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkg79 View Post
Can anyone "thoroughly" explain the allure of the X3? No disrespect intended towards anyone's purchase but I just don't see the appeal...
Provocative?

Each to their own, perhaps you could explain the allure of the 135?

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2010, 02:16 PM   #5
fedinand
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3, '11 GTI

It is more practical than our 335xi and gets better gas mileage and roughly the same performance…its pretty obvious and there's not a whole lot to explain if you don't have a bias against suv's...
      12-25-2010, 02:23 PM   #6
midlifecrisis
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 35d, 2019 230i X

Quote:
Have you ever driven one? Do you have any need to carry more stuff than a sedan can carry?

I'm the type that likes doing things around the house and yard. From time to time, I have to carry stuff. I like to drive. There's no minivan that has any appeal as a driver's car. Most SUVs are lumbering hogs. I've had a traditional station wagon, an Explorer, a Durango, two MDXs, and an X3. The X3 is the only one I wish I still had. It carried most of the stuff I needed to haul, was huge fun to drive (especially compared to the other SUVs) and much more efficient than any of them.

Was that thorough enough?
2000 328i sedan (UUC suspension - still the favorite), 2006 M3 slick top - Alpine White/Cinnamon
SOLD! 2008 E90 M3 SOLD! 1991 325iX (both great), 2019 Miata RF - various others not as memorable but gone.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2010, 02:28 PM   #7
fedinand
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That makes perfect sense for Europe and the UK, unfortunately the US doesn't get the diesel. I guess it's very similar to older model STI's, not very attractive but it's other qualities are highly sort after. It's just seems strange for the states with only two offerings for people to be intrigued. I'm not sure of it's offroad capabilities but don't you get the exact same platform or engines in other models give or take some weight?
Yes..sort of how the 135 and 335 share the same engine…if you are bagging on the looks of the X3, I guess I can see why since the 135 is a love or or hate it vehicle and people say why not just get a 335 - its just a little heavier and looks a whole lot better and is more practical than the 135, but i guess you were drawn to it for your own reasons which are good enough for me
      12-25-2010, 02:33 PM   #8
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

The attractiveness comes up a lot, particularly in comparisons with the Audi Q5. I think the Q5 is a bit better looking but I don't think either of them are great looking cars, nor the X5, Discovery, Touareg, nor the Q7. Aston Martin make great looking cars but they aren't much use when you need to go to the airport with the family.

All of that said, most people that have actually seen or driven the new X3 form a more favourable opinion of it than what you get from only looking at photos and videos. It seems bigger and better when you see it real life. I did and bought one the day after!

There seems to be a lot of clamour on this forum for a diesel X3 in the US but BMW have decided there isn't the demand I guess. Maybe that will change in the future.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2010, 02:37 PM   #9
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

I do love a good argument on Christmas Day! lol

Appreciate 0
      12-25-2010, 03:19 PM   #10
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

Here's one potential buyer who has no interest in the two current US engine choices. Nor would I like a 300hp diesel at a $5,000 premium, thank you very much. Let's see a 2.0d. I'm willing to take the penalty of AWD and the road noise of a two-box car for the privilege of sitting up high. You reach an age at which it's just easier to climb in a car and fall out rather than the reverse.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2010, 04:13 PM   #11
ScotX5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5

With respect to the original question. You either like it or you don't! Everyone has personal preference and should before every car purchase research and test whats best for your personal circumstances! Granted it's good to get opinion from real people rather than just the motoring press but if you need to come onto a forum to see the 'appeal' then I don't think you are starting with a open mind!

For me the new x3 represents good looks (business nav speed dials and all), good economy and better technology than the competition at a competitive price, but as I said at the start this is a personal opinion.

Merry christmas
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2010, 06:44 PM   #12
cosmosblau
cunning, baffling, powerful
Rep
Drives: '08 BMW 535i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Easy:
The xDrive 35i is a comfortable, well-made, spacious vehicle with decent 4wd offroad capability which just happens to be about as fast as a Ferrari Testarossa.

Some people still cannot understand it. It is hard to explain BMW to some Toyota drivers- they cannot understand the nuances which make the brands any different other than the cost and brand caché. These are not people who love to drive.

Some people enjoy Kobe Beef Steak. For others, hamburger is plenty good enough.
      12-25-2010, 10:33 PM   #13
InTheNightKitchen
Ignorance is Bliss?
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMMER UK 76 View Post
Provocative?

Each to their own, perhaps you could explain the allure of the 135?
No longer have the 1er, but it was small and fast!
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2010, 10:49 PM   #14
InTheNightKitchen
Ignorance is Bliss?
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedinand View Post
It is more practical than our 335xi and gets better gas mileage and roughly the same performance…its pretty obvious and there's not a whole lot to explain if you don't have a bias against suv's...
No I dont have a bias against SUV's, I just see some posters are ecstatic about there X3's which is good, but I just dont see why. I liked the 135 when I had it (need to update vehicle) but I wasnt in love with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifecrisis View Post
Have you ever driven one? Do you have any need to carry more stuff than a sedan can carry?

Not yet, but I plan to just to see what it's like. Would be nice to have but no I do not need the extra cargo space.

I'm the type that likes doing things around the house and yard. From time to time, I have to carry stuff. I like to drive. There's no minivan that has any appeal as a driver's car. Most SUVs are lumbering hogs. I've had a traditional station wagon, an Explorer, a Durango, two MDXs, and an X3. The X3 is the only one I wish I still had. It carried most of the stuff I needed to haul, was huge fun to drive (especially compared to the other SUVs) and much more efficient than any of them.

Was that thorough enough?
Very thorough and by far the best answer, some people seem to be taking my question the wrong way and getting defensive, especially when they look to the right and see what I used to own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedinand View Post
Yes..sort of how the 135 and 335 share the same engine…if you are bagging on the looks of the X3, I guess I can see why since the 135 is a love or or hate it vehicle and people say why not just get a 335 - its just a little heavier and looks a whole lot better and is more practical than the 135, but i guess you were drawn to it for your own reasons which are good enough for me
Very true, people love or hate the 1er. I just seems like if I need an SUV I'd bypass the X3 and just shoot for the X5. Yes it is substantially bigger now, but thats what I consider and SUV. This is why the X3 makes no sense to me, but as people have stated it suits their needs just right in size, performance, and looks. I guess the 5 would be too big for some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotX3 View Post
With respect to the original question. You either like it or you don't! Everyone has personal preference and should before every car purchase research and test whats best for your personal circumstances! Granted it's good to get opinion from real people rather than just the motoring press but if you need to come onto a forum to see the 'appeal' then I don't think you are starting with a open mind!

For me the new x3 represents good looks (business nav speed dials and all), good economy and better technology than the competition at a competitive price, but as I said at the start this is a personal opinion.

Merry christmas
Open mind, um I not looking to buy the X3 or any SUV. I was just asking buyers or admirers what influenced their purchase or their reason for liking the vehicle. Damn, everyone seems so defensive. I didnt say what I didnt like about the X3, all I said was I dont see the appeal.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2010, 11:23 PM   #15
ShinySteelRobot
iPhone/iPad Developer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmosblau View Post
Easy:
Some people enjoy Kobe Beef Steak. For others, hamburger is plenty good enough.
Heh, I prefer Kobe hamburgers.
      12-26-2010, 05:05 AM   #16
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Your question and the subsequent replies are one of the most useful things about these forums: debate!

I'm sure other people will people find the thread valuable so you should make no apologies for posing the question as you did. If you had been less blunt you wouldn't have got such good responses.

I have no doubt I made the right choice in ordering a new X3 over the options available to me for the same price. Take one for a test drive.

Appreciate 0
      12-26-2010, 09:17 AM   #17
InTheNightKitchen
Ignorance is Bliss?
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
Your question and the subsequent replies are one of the most useful things about these forums: debate!

I'm sure other people will people find the thread valuable so you should make no apologies for posing the question as you did. If you had been less blunt you wouldn't have got such good responses.

I have no doubt I made the right choice in ordering a new X3 over the options available to me for the same price. Take one for a test drive.
Will do in the New Year, I've driven the new X5 and I thought it was fantastic just too gargantuan
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2010, 10:31 AM   #18
fedinand
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Will do in the New Year, I've driven the new X5 and I thought it was fantastic just too gargantuan
Then you might like the X3 it is a good size, but not too big. I think you will like the way it drives compared to the X5 also.
      12-26-2010, 10:42 AM   #19
jijioben
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 F25 X3 35i

I'll be a bit long winded... Where I live, I get a lot of snow. Since I was not used to driving in the snow when I first came here, I was advised to look for a 4 wheel drive car. I was also on a budget and at that time there were few 4WD cars - mostly only SUVs. I ended up getting a Ford Escape and it served me well. But I always missed the feeling of European cars, which I had driven for most of my life before then (mostly, Fiat and Lancia, but also Maserati).

I became accustomed to an SUV small enough to be as agile as a car. I had tried some others (Lexus, Ford, Chevy) but I was not satisfied. Then I tried an X6. It did not handle like a car - not at all. But it had that sprint and response that I had been missing ever since I had switched to Ford. I liked it a lot, but I could not relinquish the agility of the Escape for the bulk of the X6. How's that for a completely unbalanced comparison?

Then the time came when I had to replace my Escape and I realized that the new one felt much worse than the old one, despite what the advertisements and promotions wanted me to believe. And that's when I tried an X3. Not the new one, mind you - the previous model. I did not like the looks. The interior was as spartan or worse than my Escape. But the driving felt right. Really right - although not as exciting as the X6. I ended up getting an Edge to replace my Escape, which gave me a better interior and a much poorer ride than even the Escape. Then I waited.

The new X3 fits all my requirements: an excellent, lively, but comfortable ride; superb agility for an SUV; luxurious interior; superior technology; and good looks (at least for me). I would prefer still an X5 or an X6 for their engines, and their looks are very appealing to me - even more than the X3; but the X3 takes the cake for size, visibility and maneuverability.

So this is my entirely personal and possibly irrational rationale for ordering an X3.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2010, 12:18 PM   #20
Sabian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35i Mineral

Bottom line for me, my interest in the X3 is having a versatile multipurpose vehicle.

There are times I frequently need to haul around equipment that's fairly expensive and delicate, so a truck just won't do, a car is too small and I don't wanna drive a minivan. There are times I want to just have a nice car to drive around with family or friends to go on outings, etc. During daily heavy traffic commutes to work, I would love a vehicle that is both comfortable and relaxing to drive during the frustration of stop and go. When it snows or I need to drive over mountain passes I want a vehicle that I know can handle the worst of situations. At other times I want a car that feels sporty and fun to drive. There may even be times I may want to pull a trailer to haul heavy stuff. I want a vehicle large and versatile enough to accomodate all my needs, yet not be too large to where it's a pain to park on crowded city streets or parking lots.

For me, the X3 pretty much fits all these roles without having to have multiple cars to accomplish all these tasks.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2010, 12:47 PM   #21
Bora20
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW X3 3.0si M-Sport

I like the smaller feeling (and smaller gas bill) of the X3 vs. the X5. The X3 is like having a taller 3-series wagon.

We loved the 3-series wagon, but finding one is nearly impossible. Now with our first daughter being born last weekend, the X3 fit the bill more that our previous E90.

Here are a few thing I like about it:
*Getting a car seat into the rear is easier than a sedan
*Lots of cargo room for the things I need to haul (actually bigger than 1-gen X5)
*Single gate rear door
*M-Sport package
*heated rear seats
*adaptable headlights
*handles almost the same as an AWD 3 series
*easy to get people into the back seat
*ease of entry/egress due to taller height, but not too high like larger SUV
*ability to put snowboards on the room, but still have pass-through for longer Home Depot items
*AWD for going to the ski hill
*etc, etc, etc

The list goes on. The most important thing is that it is the vehicle that best fits ME and my family at the moment. I also don't give a flying f*ck what other people say I drive.

My friend has a 2006 X5. He wishes he had my X3. We have the same motor, but his added ~700lbs of SAV really hurts him at the fuel pump.

My dream is a new X3 with a 6-cyl diesel engine. It doesn't have to be the most powerful one out there, but I do not want a 2.0d. This is my prediction for NA in a few years.

X1 - 2.0d
X3 - 3.0d
X5 - 4.0d
      12-26-2010, 12:51 PM   #22
Bora20
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW X3 3.0si M-Sport

I forgot to add that I have also owned the following vehicles since 2001 (in this order) to give you some background. The X3 is my favorite so far.

2001 MB C240
2002 MB ML320
2000 MB E320 4Matic Wagon
2006 BMW 325i
2007 BMW X3 3.0si