BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-28-2020, 08:57 AM   #45
codelinx
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M Comp/Pythonic Blue/BLK

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKX4///M View Post
I used to work at a local shop, i've been cat-less on just about single car since 2002... I used to even have my inspectors license back when you had to run the car on an inspection dyno to test brakes, and the engine under load...

We could block the DOT camera system and put the exhaust sniffer in another tailpipe, lol...Those were the days...

Since having to plug into the OBD port, really made it tougher, but if ur in with the owner of a shop it's not tough at all to get a sticker...

Even If I didn't know someone, boost activated dumps after cat-less down pipes wouldn't fail me, there is no camera under the car. I'm not sure about the laws today on modified exhausts that still run all factory or street legal emissions equipment, but technically if i had catted down pipes, and the dumps downstream I'd have no CEL and no obvious reason to fail me...
The last paragraph has good info. Thanks for that... I'll see what goes on then. I'm looking to get downpipes on the new x3m I'm about to order.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 10:21 AM   #46
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by codelinx View Post
Would you consider NYC a hot area? In the summer it gets pretty hot and humid af.
I wouldn't worry as much.
Most guys in Cali doesn't even use Thermal Coating for street cars.

But, hey, Evolution Racewerks is on Black Friday / Cyber Monday deal where the saving can goes to the Thermal Coating cost.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 1
      11-28-2020, 03:03 PM   #47
codelinx
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
I wouldn't worry as much.
Most guys in Cali doesn't even use Thermal Coating for street cars.

But, hey, Evolution Racewerks is on Black Friday / Cyber Monday deal where the saving can goes to the Thermal Coating cost.
Ya true. I'm just trying to figure out 2 things. Can I get high flow catted downpipes for a stage 2? How much actual smell will you get with catless downpipes?

That would be great to get something solid. For instance in the TriState sitting in traffic is a problem, so I don't want to be idling and smelling fumes all the time. This is my main concern still.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12972.00
      11-28-2020, 04:08 PM   #48
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ya true. I'm just trying to figure out 2 things. Can I get high flow catted downpipes for a stage 2? How much actual smell will you get with catless downpipes?

That would be great to get something solid. For instance in the TriState sitting in traffic is a problem, so I don't want to be idling and smelling fumes all the time. This is my main concern still.
X3M have 2 separate cats. Primary and Secondary.
If you remove either primary or secondary, you'll be fine.
But, if you remove both primary and secondary, that's when the smell will be all over.
Appreciate 2
DKX4///M757.00
      11-30-2020, 10:22 AM   #49
floating.spirit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Garage List
2020 X3MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

X3M have 2 separate cats. Primary and Secondary.
If you remove either primary or secondary, you'll be fine.
But, if you remove both primary and secondary, that's when the smell will be all over.
And do u need a tune with catted? Will catted cause a CEL? Tnx...

codelinx sorry to hear about your car, but at least it sounds like you're unhurt. Good luck with insurance and can't wait to see pics of ur future ride.
Appreciate 2
r33_RGSport12972.00
      11-30-2020, 11:59 AM   #50
emfo
Rep
Drives: TT

Anyone have any experience with Euromotive or Miami Performance (MPI) downpipes?

No results when searching... which is unusual since Euromotive seems like a real company.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 12:56 PM   #51
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by floating.spirit View Post

codelinx sorry to hear about your car, but at least it sounds like you're unhurt. Good luck with insurance and can't wait to see pics of ur future ride.
If you go catless or race-cat on the primary downpipe, then yes, you'll need a flash tune.
I know that some company said that their catted version won't trigger CEL.
AFAIK, any low count cat cells will trigger CEL eventually.
Appreciate 2
      11-30-2020, 02:14 PM   #52
codelinx
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by floating.spirit View Post

thanks!! yea was a little jarring, my corso was in the back, but luckily i can report he X3MC is very safe in a substantial crash.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 05:20 PM   #53
codelinx
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by emfo View Post
Anyone have any experience with Euromotive or Miami Performance (MPI) downpipes?

No results when searching... which is unusual since Euromotive seems like a real company.
Nope i have not seen or done any research into this brand. For me the ER DPs look and sound great. You can check them out on r33_RGSport instagram https://www.instagram.com/rgsport_usa he has a whole story dedicated to the X3MC work.

Personally going to add the MSS setup based on some feedback from him + ER DPs + Paul Johnson tune for the new DPs(?Not 100% confirmed i will go with his tune, but seems likely based on research).
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 06:33 PM   #54
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Personally going to add the MSS setup based on some feedback from him + ER DPs + Paul Johnson tune for the new DPs(?Not 100% confirmed i will go with his tune, but seems likely based on research).
Sounds like a great plan!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 11:41 PM   #55
codelinx
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
Sounds like a great plan!
Hey quick side question while you are here. Did you change your wheels/tires, if you so whered you get them from? I am trying to find 20"/21" rims for winter + tires as im out in NYC.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 01:31 AM   #56
codelinx
Rep

Garage List
Just picked ER downpipes + MSS ride system from r33_RGSport . Found a place to do both installs for a good price. I'm going to add these after the break in period. The custom tune will be done by Paul Johnson on the bm3 tuning platform.

And for the winter fall seasons... Probably going to add asanti abl-21 black 20" with Pirelli scorpion Winters(9/10)

Thanks everyone for the info and feedback on everything. Future comments and feedback are welcome.

Last edited by codelinx; 12-02-2020 at 05:15 PM..
Appreciate 3
AlexFL7837.00
r33_RGSport12972.00
DKX4///M757.00
      12-02-2020, 01:14 PM   #57
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just picked ER downpipes + MSS ride system from rgsports. Found a place to do both installs for a good price. I'm going to add these after the break in period. The custom tune will be done by Paul Johnson on the bm3 tuning platform.

And for the winter fall seasons... Probably going to add asanti abl-21 black 20" with Pirelli scorpion Winters(9/10)

Thanks everyone for the info and feedback on everything. Future comments and feedback are welcome.
Thank you for the shoutout and appreciate the business.
Appreciate 1
      12-02-2020, 05:41 PM   #58
codelinx
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thank you for the shoutout and appreciate the business.

r33_RGSport I am wondering if a valve controller is a good idea for the DPs, but i guess i will know after i install them.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12972.00
      12-02-2020, 06:44 PM   #59
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
r33_RGSport I am wondering if a valve controller is a good idea for the DPs, but i guess i will know after i install them.
If you keep stock cat-back muffler, you will be fine.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 01:03 PM   #60
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
I did BM3Tuning.com Catless Downpipes and left everything else OEM to see how it would change the tone. I am happy but if I wanted more noise I think Secondary delete would be next but I will leave Resonator and Muffler intact to control the valves.

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 1
      12-12-2020, 05:40 PM   #61
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

Quote:
I used to work at a local shop, i've been cat-less on just about single car since 2002... I used to even have my inspectors license back when you had to run the car on an inspection dyno to test brakes, and the engine under load...

We could block the DOT camera system and put the exhaust sniffer in another tailpipe, lol...Those were the days...

Since having to plug into the OBD port, really made it tougher, but if ur in with the owner of a shop it's not tough at all to get a sticker...

Even If I didn't know someone, boost activated dumps after cat-less down pipes wouldn't fail me, there is no camera under the car. I'm not sure about the laws today on modified exhausts that still run all factory or street legal emissions equipment, but technically if i had catted down pipes, and the dumps downstream I'd have no CEL and no obvious reason to fail me...
NY is a CARB compliant state. This means that catalytic converters must meet the CARB requirements. So if you replace a catalytic converter it must be certified CARB which usually translates into more money.

People claim the sniffer test will still pass by deleting one set of cats in a dual cat system (I sure hope they are right).

I am not sure a catless car would pass the sniffer test and I am not sure if a shop would pass it.

As you stated, it boils down to the particular shop. I've had cool ones and a-hole ones before. Apparently the DMV also harasses shops and runs under-cover sting ops (though I do not have any direct evidence of that, just talk from a shop owner).

https://www.discountconverter.com/ca...rter-&News=271
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 10:12 AM   #62
DKX4///M
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4M CS

Garage List
2020 BMW X4M CS  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spta97 View Post
NY is a CARB compliant state. This means that catalytic converters must meet the CARB requirements. So if you replace a catalytic converter it must be certified CARB which usually translates into more money.

People claim the sniffer test will still pass by deleting one set of cats in a dual cat system (I sure hope they are right).

I am not sure a catless car would pass the sniffer test and I am not sure if a shop would pass it.

As you stated, it boils down to the particular shop. I've had cool ones and a-hole ones before. Apparently the DMV also harasses shops and runs under-cover sting ops (though I do not have any direct evidence of that, just talk from a shop owner).

https://www.discountconverter.com/ca...rter-&News=271
Yes. But NY no longer uses exhuast sniffer, I was doing inspections and had my ASE inspectors License when shops went from dyno and exhaust sniffer to simply plugging in to OBDII ports and visual inspection.

The stricter requirements are simply built into the the fuel map, meaning that the downstream 02 (02s) must see a larger difference in oxygen levels indicating much less hydrocarbons being exhausted...

Many engines will also have NOX sensors built into the EGR system as well, as ZRecirculating exhaust gases is the primary method to reduce NOX (Atmospheric Nitrogen and Oxygen chemically combined from extreme pressure (heat) bc "ideal" gas law...

Cars would fail emmisions around 1999-2005 (or close) for Hydrocarbons (unburnt fuel or NOX (lean mixture, bad EGR, too high boost, ignition timing advanced.

As for passing with primary cats (but without secondary), the car will pass bc the downstream 02 in before the 2nd cat...So the DME has no idea if the secondary cat is seeing..
If ur in NY a shop i worked at as a teenager until my 20s woukld prob pass u if i talk to him, LMK
      12-14-2020, 10:17 AM   #63
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
That's correct DKX4///M

Secondary catless triggers no CEL so it would pass inspection anywhere in the USA if primary are stock.

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 3
      12-14-2020, 03:14 PM   #64
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Yes. But NY no longer uses exhuast sniffer, I was doing inspections and had my ASE inspectors License when shops went from dyno and exhaust sniffer to simply plugging in to OBDII ports and visual inspection.

The stricter requirements are simply built into the the fuel map, meaning that the downstream 02 (02s) must see a larger difference in oxygen levels indicating much less hydrocarbons being exhausted...

Many engines will also have NOX sensors built into the EGR system as well, as ZRecirculating exhaust gases is the primary method to reduce NOX (Atmospheric Nitrogen and Oxygen chemically combined from extreme pressure (heat) bc "ideal" gas law...

Cars would fail emmisions around 1999-2005 (or close) for Hydrocarbons (unburnt fuel or NOX (lean mixture, bad EGR, too high boost, ignition timing advanced.

As for passing with primary cats (but without secondary), the car will pass bc the downstream 02 in before the 2nd cat...So the DME has no idea if the secondary cat is seeing..
If ur in NY a shop i worked at as a teenager until my 20s woukld prob pass u if i talk to him, LMK
PM Sent
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 02:07 AM   #65
codelinx
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Just wondering...What would they be checking when connecting to the obdii Port? I'm in NYC so I'll dm you also.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 09:16 AM   #66
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSociety View Post
That's correct DKX4///M

Secondary catless triggers no CEL so it would pass inspection anywhere in the USA if primary are stock.
Does that also apply to some state that do visual inspection?
Appreciate 0