BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-08-2017, 09:23 PM   #1
Nerdking
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 530i

Possible to retrofit wireless smartphone charger?

So I've seen this talked about for other BMW models but haven't found any info on the F25. I found part number 84106832062 to be a wireless charger for the x3 but im unsure what else is required for it to work. I also found the tray insert for models with S6NWA from http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/F2...option?s=S6NWA.

I'm unsure of what kind of connector is used to attach the wireless charger or if it requires software.

Has anyone had any luck with this?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 10:04 AM   #2
dreaming440i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe M Sport

Wow, didn't know BMW had that. I assume that's a general Qi wireless charger charger plate with clips to hold various phones in place. At an outrageous price.

There are many types of generic aftermarket phone mounts that have the Qi charger built in. Dash mount, windshield mount, console mount, dashboard mount, clamp type, brackets, etc. Pick one that works for you and plug it into a USB port. Total investment less than $30.

I needed a solution that let me charge either my phone or my smartwatch, so none of those fit the bill. What I did was build my own. I took a generic mini-charger pad, put it into the console with double sided tape to keep it in place. Plugged it into a usb port on a generic power plug adapter, and then used those clear sticky gel squares (sorry, the name escapes me) on the pad. The sticky gel holds the phone or smartwatch to the plate and keeps it from sliding around. I reduced the stickiness on the phone side by putting a small piece of plastic over part of the gel. That way the gel doesn't pull loose from the pad. The other advantage to this solution is that I put a piece of tpu plastic over the gel when I don't use it. So I still have most of the space in the console when I don't use the pad, and the pad is out-of-sight at all times.

I'm pretty proud of this. I haven't patented it yet, so feel free to use the idea!
Appreciate 0