BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-19-2011, 06:17 PM   #1
johndeeveer
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X3 2007 black full option

Garage List
Arrow Racechip(pro)

anyone has expierienced "racechip (pro)" powerchip for his beamer www.racechip.de ?

price is reasonable, they promise you a 30% more BHP and 25 more torq.

all i see is positive reactions on forums and sites.

any respons??
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 09:36 PM   #2
Evlengr
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 MT X3 and 2010 MT MCS

Would love to find something for the N52 engine. Talked to Steve Dinan today and they stopped making them after 2006 as no one was buying them for X3's
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 03:37 AM   #3
x3oiler
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3 3.0 Diesel

I assume you have a Diesel?

I have used a similar device - spider box. You need to go into this with some fore knowledge. Yes the performance claims are true but . . .

The ECU and stability control and Auto gear box is a closed loop system. When you put these devices in circuit the motor is putting out more power and torque than expected. This screws around with the stability control, the shifting of the auto box (torque is no longer reduced enough during shifts) etc. etc. Oh the fuel consumption will lie as well as the car electronics see less fuel being used while in fact the tuning box is adding the fuel back again.
Example of an open loop issue: with the tuning box installed tramp the accelerator in a sharp turn from standstill and things come unstuck very quickly. Do this with the ECU remap and the power, traction is controlled and much less scarey and in the end much faster. Yes I have scared myself.

That said you have the advantage with these units that you are not touching the ECU and thus no risk of blowing the ECU due to excess flashing or the risk of a flash going wring. You can also easily remove the tuning box before a service and the dealer will not know about it. The tuning box can be transferred ebtween vehcicles with (in the case of the self learning spider box) just an adpater cable change required. An ECU remap will increase the flash burn count and this can be seen and there is always the risk of flashing - ie a bad flash due to a comms error. The ECU remap will be locked to the ECU serial number ie a one vehicle solution.

I would recommend the spider box but after sales service ex UK head office is simply terrible ie non existent. You need to check this aspect as well.

I swapped to an ECU remap device - very happy - provides more performance than the tuning box and the system is still closed loop.

Last edited by x3oiler; 11-02-2011 at 03:38 AM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 04:49 AM   #4
johndeeveer
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X3 2007 black full option

Garage List
thx oiler, this info will get me further to look after more torque...
Appreciate 0