BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-30-2011, 05:23 PM   #1145
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Disappointed they removed the honk the horn remotely option on that app. I enjoyed demonstrating that one

Lines look fantastic in the flesh on the lighter colours

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 06:02 PM   #1146
X35D For Me
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 35D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnw View Post
I wouldn't worry Although 50k is a lot for a car like this. That opens up a whole other bracket and is my remaining self-justification for sticking to the 30d (now the SE excuse is out the window!). I hope you negotiated a nice discount on that order.

Yes I got over £4000 off so fairly pleased.
X3 35D M Sport, Vermillion Red/Oyster, Fineline Wave wood, 19" alloys (369M) Prof. Media Pack, DAB, Sun Roof, Elec. seat adj.+ lumbar, Visibility Pack, Prof. Speakers, Sun Protection Glass, Reverse Cam/Top View, Seat Heating, M Sport suspension deletion, HUD.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2011, 05:04 AM   #1147
cheesebag
Debadged and Alpine Weiss!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 Msport

OK...still raining but here goes....

Appreciate 0
      12-31-2011, 05:19 AM   #1148
cheesebag
United Kingdom
Rep

Few more.....

Appreciate 0
      12-31-2011, 06:05 AM   #1149
dnw
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 / 2014 520d MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by X35D For Me View Post
Yes I got over £4000 off so fairly pleased.
Great. 8% gross seems about the best UK deal atm, I achieved the same.
      12-31-2011, 10:20 AM   #1150
tank531
Deckhand
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 2.0D SE xDrive (Sep 11)

Nice motor cheese bag
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2011, 10:22 AM   #1151
tank531
Deckhand
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Great. 8% gross seems about the best UK deal atm, I achieved the same.
Better than my 5% but I only had ~ 37k list
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2011, 11:35 AM   #1152
cheesebag
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks tank!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2011, 12:06 PM   #1153
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i 2011

Is it not inconvenient to operate iDrive with left hand in UK models?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2011, 12:31 PM   #1154
cheesebag
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alokbhargava View Post
Is it not inconvenient to operate iDrive with left hand in UK models?
No not at all! We've been shifting gears with our left hand all our lives!
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2012, 05:53 AM   #1155
dnw
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesebag View Post
No not at all! We've been shifting gears with our left hand all our lives!
      01-01-2012, 07:48 AM   #1156
plob
Private
Rep
Drives: 650i GC

New motor - thoughts on available options

Hi all
I'm new to this forum and have just ordered a new X3. I wanted to list the options that I ordered to see what you all think and also to canvass opinion on options that I didn't choose - but you think I would be silly not to.

I test drove a 3 litre model so that is what I ordered - a 30d SE. Another reason for choosing this engine is that it comes with the automatic gearbox - which I loved. I chose titanium silver as a liked the colour.
I chose the beige interior leather as I have this on the car that the X3 will replace (a Honda CRV) and like the way that it gives a bright and airy feel to the interior. Now on to the options...

ZXF - visibility package. I chose this because I love the LED angel eyes (I'm a real gadget tart). I love DRLs (which is why I bought an Audi A5 a few years ago) and I don't think these corona rings can be beaten in terms of looks.
I included the visibility package as I also get the folding/dimming mirrors; the high beam assistant and the adaptive lighting. I'm hoping that the headlights are good as the xenons on my A5 were pretty poor. Does anyone else with adaptive lighting know if it includes the side facing lights when approaching a side road? I know the brochure says it does but they can sometimes be unreliable.

ZXF - professional media. I liked the widescreen display and the assist packages that come with it.

ZXK - Access package. I wanted the comfort access and power tailgate as I often return to the car with my hands full and don't want to have to fumble around looking for a key.

223/2VG - variable damper control. I heard good reviews about this but have never experienced it. Does anyone out there have this - is it worth it (I hope so)?

610 - Heads-up display. For those "Top Gun" moments on my way to pick up my curry

3AH - Reverse cameras with top view. Because I don't want to scratch my new car.

ZXH - heated front seats

481 - Sports seats

420 - Sun protection glass.

255 - sport steering wheel

677 - professional loudspeaker system. I've not heard this but I do like my music - and I've been disappointed with sound systems in all my other cars.

654 - DAB radio

2VL - variable sports steering. I was a bit unsure about this as I have heard reports that it can make the steering feel over sensitive. Having said that, I've heard positive reports too so I chose to include it.

Standard wheels. I like a comfortable drive. My experiences with bigger wheels/low profile tyres is that they can make the rise a bit harsher, are more prone to making the steering very sensitive to 'tram lines' and are more expensive to replace.

I also deleted the model designation (badges) to make it easier to clean/polish the car.

So, that's it. Did I miss anything? Is there anything on there that you don't think is worth the money? I'd appreciate your feedback.

I ordered the car a few days before Christmas and was told to expect a June 2012 delivery. Since then, the dealer has called me back and said that the 3L models seem to be on a shorter lead time and it is currently showing as March delivery - just in time for a shiny new '12' plate

Cheers
Plob

P.S. Hi TuffLittleUnit - I remember you from the A5 forum
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2012, 08:08 AM   #1157
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

@plob Very nice spec and can't fault your choice of trim and colour

Personally I wouldn't (and didn't) bother with adaptive and main beam assist. The former as I can't see when it would ever be useful if you already have xenons, the latter as they simply can't work well enough to be any use IMO, e.g. pedestrians, cyclists, cars in front of you but too far away to be detected

I would add x-line mostly for the window trims as they look more premium than without but also for the BMW door sills and boot loading trim. Front and back bumpers are subjective

Consider electric seats with memory if you have a partner who will be driving it too. I have them and they are godsend - and look very cool when automatically moving into position

HUD looks cool but it gets some negative feedback because of the lack of customisation and because you get nav directions in the dash anyway which is sufficient. Get it if you can afford it though as it will impress!

If you have an iPhone then definitely get BMW Apps, more for future proofing than anything else. It has huge potential

I use the split folding rear seats a lot and would recommend adding them if they aren't standard on the 30d

I would debadge too if a had a 30d for cleaning and wolf in sheep's clothing reasons...

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2012, 08:11 AM   #1158
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Oh, and i would also go for 307 18s as they won't make that much difference to the ride (1/2" on side wall) and look a lot better (assuming you are getting RFT 17s not non-RFTs)

Appreciate 0
      01-01-2012, 08:16 AM   #1159
dnw
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

plob - you look to have a similar order to my original one and I would recommend you consider changing to an M Sport, especially if you consider going for 18in wheels and xline on the SE as sfax recommends. You will find that with a similar spec it will work out not much more as you have added most of the items that come as standard on the 30d M Sport.

The reason to do this is simple- resale. You won't get much of the money back for any of those extras on an SE but on an M Sport the list price is around £2k higher and so will return more on resale. It will depend on how long you intend to keep the car but if its only 2-3 years it wil end up costing you around £1500-£2000 more to do it this way.

In the rest of the world the M Sport is just a 'pack' like any other - but in the UK it is considered to be a separate, higher spec model.

Don't worry about the ride either - delete the M Sport suspension (no cost option) and stick with the standard 18s and you'll be fine.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2012, 08:30 AM   #1160
dnw
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Couple other thoughts-

Trim: standard trim needs upgrading, satin silver looks cheap. Personally I think wood looks best with beige and would go for fineline. This is £345 upgrade on SE but again only £100 on M Sport (closes the gap even more!)

Power tailgate: I have this on the Q5 and always will again. No more dirty hands.
      01-01-2012, 08:30 AM   #1161
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

If you go for M sport you may want to switch colours though - TiAg in M Sport doesn't look as good as other colours like black, CB IMO. dnw probably has a point on resale but you can't know for sure as this is a new model and resale after 2-3 years won't be known for at least another year. Some options are worth a lot more than others like sat nav. All down to what people want the most

If you want to see the 307 18s on a TS for comparison, these are my winter wheels:

Appreciate 0
      01-01-2012, 08:35 AM   #1162
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Power tailgate: I have this on the Q5 and always will again. No more dirty hands.
Although you only get dirty hands if you touch the boot which you don't need to do either to open (just press button which doesn't get dirty) or close (pull down using interior handle). That said, it's easy to forget and get dirty hands and it does look cool. My other reason was not trusting mrs sfax to open it onto the ceiling of a car park!!

Appreciate 0
      01-01-2012, 08:37 AM   #1163
dnw
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
dnw probably has a point on resale but you can't know for sure as this is a new model and resale after 2-3 years won't be known for at least another year.
That's true and if it turns out to be as good as the Q5 (20% over 3 years ) I'll be pleased

However, BMWs have been around for a longgg time and one pattern has held true in the UK: M Sport more desirable used (esp in <3 year) and retain a premium over SEs, Pro Nav retains a premium, Big Wheels help, all other options sweet fa....
      01-01-2012, 09:51 AM   #1164
cheesebag
United Kingdom
Rep

I'm loving my Msport after 3 days. If you have an iPhone apps is a must. Also the xenons/visibility package may seem expensive but is a real head turner!
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2012, 10:58 AM   #1165
plob
Private
Rep
Drives: 650i GC

Hi all
Thanks ever so much for the many (and prompt) messages with good feedback. I’m beginning to wish I hadn’t asked now as you all came up with such thought provoking ideas.

I think the main thing that your replies prompted me to do was to have a closer look at the differences between the SE and M Sport models. I guess I hadn’t realised that many of the options I’d chosen were included in the M Sport. I ran up a couple of configurator screens side by side so I could see the differences by quickly switching from one screen to the other. I have to say that I’m really quite taken by the look of the M Sport.

Initially, I hadn’t given the M Sport much brain time as the base model was so much more expensive than the SE and I didn’t want the hard suspension. I hadn't thought that I could delete this until I read DNW’s message. Listening to the discussion between sfax and DNW made me think about the body styling very closely.

The upshot is that I’m seriously considering changing the order to an M Sport – but I’ll need to check what difference that will make to my insurance as its sky high already despite being a good boy and an advanced driver.

I’m starting to like the look of the space grey too. My last 2 cars have been black and they really show the dirt and swirls.

@sfax - point taken about the high beam assist. I’ve had adaptive lights on a previous car and loved them. I particularly liked the extra turn light that came on when indicating or turning the wheel to past a certain point.

@cheesebag, can you share your experiences of the adaptive lighting please? I will definitely have Xenons but I’m in two minds as to whether or not to forget the visibility package and just have the Xenons. Please can you let me know what you think of the adaptive feature?

@sfax, I’m not bothered about the electric seats as we don’t share cars very often. My current car has electric seats and I honestly can’t remember the last time it was used.

@sfax – thanks for the information about the HUD. I’ve done some more research and may forget about this option and use the money saved to bridge the gap between the SE and M Sport models.

@all – what are the BMW apps? I don’t know what it is so I didn’t bother with it.

Thanks again for all your help and opinions

Cheers
Plob
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2012, 11:41 AM   #1166
tank531
Deckhand
United Kingdom
Rep

Plob

I was in a friends A7 with HUD option and thought is was a waste of money - he did too! If you stick to SE you must add x-Line, I know the price is steep but unless you go for AW IMO the profile looks cheap with the default rubber window surrounds.

The other posters are correct about M-Sport - more options you add the more cost effective it is to start with M-sport. If you go to M-sport you should check your body colour still looks good for you due to the deeper profile and colour massing effect.
Appreciate 0