BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-13-2018, 08:57 AM   #1
atwnsw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW e46

Urgent: Need help on Battery issue/Replacement...

Background: My SUV died over the weekend with transmission issues so we are down to my wife's car, 2012 X3 335i. Need to keep it running.

We went to a concert last night and I believe that I didn't hit the ignition button twice to completely shut it down. The car started fine last night and again this am. However, every time I start the car I get the messages:

"Battery discharging while stopped.
Electrical devices were temporarily switched off."

Drove this am to Advance Auto Parts to be tested and the technician was a moron but said that they can't replace the battery because the computer has to be reset after replacement. I then drove the car for about 20 minutes on highway to recharge but continue to receive the same messages.

I would like to replace the battery today but it is Sunday and not sure what happens if I don't have the ability to reset the computer.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Anthony
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2018, 10:37 AM   #2
Cpt.K
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91, E82, F80, F85, F87

First of all, those messages don't specifically mean you need a new battery. A lot of accessories will stay powered on after you turn off the ignition and even lock the car. For example my wife's X3 has a dash cam, which is hardwired to one of the fuses, so we get that message every time car is parked for a day or two with the camera recording in parking mode. In essence, that warning is letting you know there is extra draw on the battery while the car is off, which BMW didn't account/ program for.
Do you have anything plugged in cigarette lighter or USB ports while the car is off?

Last edited by Cpt.K; 05-13-2018 at 11:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2018, 11:18 AM   #3
lawdude
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i ZPP ZSP TiAg MT

Hook it up to a battery tender plus. If you don't have one in your garage, you need to get one. Sometimes those things seem to work miracles
      05-13-2018, 11:19 AM   #4
MichiganMike
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
Is this the original battery for your 2012 X3? A weak battery may cause a variety of electronic glitches.

If possible, take the car to a qualified independent shop or BMW dealer that can properly test the battery and properly register a new battery, if necessary. The registration is needed to ensure proper charging of a new battery. If this is not done, the life of the battery may be shortened.

If you need a new battery today, you might get one installed and have it registered by a dealer or qualified independent when possible. Limited driving prior to registration is unlikely to do much, if any, harm.

You might also consider getting and using a battery tender to keep the battery properly charged in the future. This will help extend battery life as a modern BMW may not keep the battery fully charged in normal driving.

http://www.bmwblog.com/2016/01/28/bm...ttery-charger/

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2018, 01:32 PM   #5
atwnsw
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.K View Post
First of all, those messages don't specifically mean you need a new battery. A lot of accessories will stay powered on after you turn off the ignition and even lock the car. For example my wife's X3 has a dash cam, which is hardwired to one of the fuses, so we get that message every time car is parked for a day or two with the camera recording in parking mode. In essence, that warning is letting you know there is extra draw on the battery while the car is off, which BMW didn't account/ program for.
Do you have anything plugged in cigarette lighter or USB ports while the car is off?
Nothing new or extra plugged into the car....
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2018, 01:34 PM   #6
atwnsw
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganMike View Post
Is this the original battery for your 2012 X3? A weak battery may cause a variety of electronic glitches.

If possible, take the car to a qualified independent shop or BMW dealer that can properly test the battery and properly register a new battery, if necessary. The registration is needed to ensure proper charging of a new battery. If this is not done, the life of the battery may be shortened.

If you need a new battery today, you might get one installed and have it registered by a dealer or qualified independent when possible. Limited driving prior to registration is unlikely to do much, if any, harm.

You might also consider getting and using a battery tender to keep the battery properly charged in the future. This will help extend battery life as a modern BMW may not keep the battery fully charged in normal driving.

Good luck.
Thank you for the input. I was worried if I had to have one installed now would the car work in the meantime. The answer is "yes" although not idea.
Appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 03:28 PM   #7
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganMike View Post

Good luck.
Just adding I 100% agree with this. The coding is actually a necessary evil for us, tells the car how to manage the battery and understand that it's a new one. The "Carly" app and bluetooth plug have this ability, but if you're not interested in other coding possibilities then a shop should be able to perform the job at a similar cost.

If it is a 2012 car, you are certainly within the window of time that a battery can go bad, and as mentioned it isn't always obvious. We have so many electronics going on that all have their own minimum voltage requirements that the car may start but be otherwise knocked for a confused loop because the electronics aren't sure what is happening any more.

I'm not sure if a charger is really needed during normal driving (i.e. long enough trips to get oil up to temp at least a few times a week) so I may disagree w/ that if I understand what was written. But generally speaking a charger won't ever hurt the car and if you're gone on a trip without driving the car for even a week or so I'd actually recommend a charger if you own one.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 04:11 PM   #8
atarivers
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 xDrive35i M Sport

Invest in a $20 trickle charger. If a 24-hour charge doesn't put it right and the battery is 3 or more years old, get a new one. It's no more complicated than that. Your trickle charger investment will be beneficial even if you need a new battery because it will extend the life of the new battery if you use it every couple of weeks or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atwnsw View Post
Nothing new or extra plugged into the car....
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 04:48 PM   #9
atwnsw
Enlisted Member
Rep

The battery was original and 6 years old. $360 later my wife is happy and that is all that matters. Yes, I could have DIY myself but I was traveling and couldn't leave her stranded.

$200 for battery from shop. $120 Indie Labor (ouch). Tax + supplies (don't ask me what supplies) make up the difference.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 04:01 PM   #10
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by atwnsw View Post
The battery was original and 6 years old. $360 later my wife is happy and that is all that matters. Yes, I could have DIY myself but I was traveling and couldn't leave her stranded.

$200 for battery from shop. $120 Indie Labor (ouch). Tax + supplies (don't ask me what supplies) make up the difference.
That's not totally bad. Especially given the scenario of just needing to get it done, we've all been there.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 08:20 AM   #11
Lurcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 z4

Any problem you can throw money at is not really that big of a problem....

Wifey's rides only break when I'm on the road working. Join the club....
Appreciate 0