BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-13-2011, 09:28 AM   #1
andrewbmw
Rep
Drives: x3 28i

Anyone concerned about radiation contamination?

Fellow new/future X3 owners,

I ordered my X3 a few weeks ago then realized that some parts might be imported from Japan.

I can't help thinking about the possibility of the radiation contamination due to the Japan nuclear leak last month.

Does anyone else has the similar concern? What can we do to have the peace of mind other than canceling the order?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 10:06 AM   #2
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

NO.
      05-13-2011, 10:39 AM   #3
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

You'll be fine. Just don't eat it

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 10:46 AM   #4
silverforumsurf
Private
Rep
Drives: To Buy

not sure how much a geiger counter costs but that'd solve the issue
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 10:46 AM   #5
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

A million ways to die everyday, the least of my worries is contaminated plastic or metal in a car. I always found it funny when people complained about unhealthy things such as obesity, pesticides, or radiation then go tanning or smoke a cigarette.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 10:52 AM   #6
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i, F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyu View Post
A million ways to die everyday, the least of my worries is contaminated plastic or metal in a car. I always found it funny when people complained about unhealthy things such as obesity, pesticides, or radiation then go tanning or smoke a cigarette.
True dat!
In less they are now using that reactor as a smelting pit, I wouldn’t worry about radiation.

I remember the musty smell in my grandparent’s basement.
Now a days it would be declared a bio hazard due to the mold down there.
We worry too much.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 11:33 AM   #7
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewbmw View Post
..I can't help thinking about the possibility of the radiation contamination due to the Japan nuclear leak last month....
The only measurable amount of contamination beyond the 30 km immediate no-travel zone has been I-131. This isotope has only been found in tiny amounts in the drinking water. It's virtually impossible for any of it to have been incorporated in any of the electronics components coming form Japan that are used in a X3. In addition, I-131 has a half live of only 8 days. After 40 days the radiation level would be only 1/256th of the initial amount.

According to all reports no Uranium or Plutonium has escaped beyond a few km from the plants.

If you have granite counter tops in your kitchen or any cracks in your basement (which often leak the alpha emitter Polonium -218) you will be exposed to thousands of times the nuclear radiation that you'll ever see from a X3 made with components made in Japan.

One cross country flight in a plane at 35,000 feet or one dental x-ray would be much more exposure.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 11:38 AM   #8
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
The only measurable amount of contamination beyond the 30 km immediate no-travel zone has been I-131. This isotope has only been found in tiny amounts in the drinking water. It's virtually impossible for any of it to have been incorporated in any of the electronics components coming form Japan that are used in a X3. In addition, I-131 has a half live of only 8 days. After 40 days the radiation level would be only 1/256th of the initial amount.

According to all reports no Uranium or Plutonium has escaped beyond a few km from the plants.

If you have granite counter tops in your kitchen or any cracks in your basement (which often leak the alpha emitter Polonium -218) you will be exposed to thousands of times the nuclear radiation that you'll ever see from a X3 made with components made in Japan.

One cross country flight in a plane at 35,000 feet or one dental x-ray would be much more exposure.
You'd be quite handy on a pub quiz team Lotus

With an average wait of over 6 months, the 8 day half life makes all UK orders safe

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 01:02 PM   #9
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
You'll be fine. Just don't eat it

Radiation

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 01:16 PM   #10
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
You'd be quite handy on a pub quiz team Lotus
lol:
Maybe not. 40 days decay at an 8 day half-life actually leaves 1/32nd remaining (mental hiccup substituted 8 days for 8 half-lives). Still, not to worry, 1/32nd of nothing is still pretty low.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 02:55 PM   #11
andrewbmw
Rep

Thanks for the assurance but don't forget caesium-137, which is also in a significant level and has much longer half life.

"The daily amount of caesium-137 released from Fukushima Daiichi is around 60 per cent of the amount released from Chernobyl,” http://www.prisonplanet.com/japanese...s-leaking.html

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 03:02 PM   #12
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
My hair has been falling out in clumps ever since I picked mine up.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 03:06 PM   #13
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35d | 2019 X3 30i

Garage List
Quote:

I ordered my X3 a few weeks ago then realized that some parts might be imported from Japan.

I can't help thinking about the possibility of the radiation contamination due to the Japan nuclear leak last month.

Does anyone else has the similar concern? What can we do to have the peace of mind other than canceling the order?
My friend,
with all the responses you've got here, I think you just earned yourself the funniest thread in this forum!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 03:07 PM   #14
gareth12468
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive 28i

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:

I think its better to worry about those bad drivers on the road.....
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 03:32 PM   #15
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
My hair has been falling out in clumps ever since I picked mine up.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 03:40 PM   #16
jt2
Annoyance
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

I wondered why the dashboard illumination was green instead of red..
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 05:25 PM   #17
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Quote:

You're thinking about a non-thing here. Really, really, really, a non-thing. I can't possibly emphasize without getting quite rude and condescending how much of a non-thing this is. On the flip side, if you have the time and mental capacity to worry about something as fantastic as this, you're life must be pretty dang good. Congrats on that!
      05-13-2011, 09:11 PM   #18
andrewbmw
Rep

Well, it might be a non-issue for you or many other people but just not me.

As the matter of fact, dear wife will be primary driver and two little boys will be sitting in the car on daily base ...

There are lots of risks in one's life and I don't care about most of them, but not those which could endanger my beloved ones. I can't just say to myself that they won't happen and do nothing.

I will try to get a Geiger counter though they seem to be sold out everywhere. I also called BMW USA and requested a disclosure on the list of parts and material which were imported from Japan and used in X3. Will post if I hear back anything.

Anyhow, thank you all for the positive replies and have a great weekend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
You're thinking about a non-thing here. Really, really, really, a non-thing. I can't possibly emphasize without getting quite rude and condescending how much of a non-thing this is. On the flip side, if you have the time and mental capacity to worry about something as fantastic as this, you're life must be pretty dang good. Congrats on that!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 09:23 PM   #19
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

See the part about it being a non-issue isn't an opinion, it's science, physics. You can make it into an issue, but it's your own fantasy. Good luck buying a Geiger counter -- you can't. Try looking for a scintillator. That'll detect radiation -- lots of it everywhere. Next you'll need to learn what radiation is significant. If you don't you'll be busy hiding yourself and your beloved kids from the dirt in your garden and the ash from the wonderful coal fueled power plants that is -- you guessed it -- not only toxic, but also radioactive.

Bottom line, you're chasing your behind around the table. Knock yourself out but watch out, my guess is Darwin's after you . . .
      05-13-2011, 09:36 PM   #20
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's it. Never taking my kids on an airplane again without a Geiger counter.

1 Geiger . . . 2 Geigers . . . 3 Geigers . . .
      05-13-2011, 09:37 PM   #21
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Quote:
Well, it might be a non-issue for you or many other people but just not me.

As the matter of fact, dear wife will be primary driver and two little boys will be sitting in the car on daily base ...

There are lots of risks in one's life and I don't care about most of them, but not those which could endanger my beloved ones. I can't just say to myself that they won't happen and do nothing.

I will try to get a Geiger counter though they seem to be sold out everywhere. I also called BMW USA and requested a disclosure on the list of parts and material which were imported from Japan and used in X3. Will post if I hear back anything.

Anyhow, thank you all for the positive replies and have a great weekend!
I bet the risk of your beloved group being hit by a drunk driver is way higher than a radiation risk on Japanese parts.....but of course, that's one of the risks you don't care about.

I think you are misguided - but it's your life. Happy hunting.
      05-13-2011, 09:52 PM   #22
andrewbmw
Rep

Sure radiation is everywhere but that's not the point. What I am talking about here is the level which might be much higher than the average background radiation level, due to the potential nuclear contamination in the part from Japan. And that's what a decent geiger counter is suppose to do, Nah?

I appreciate the reply but your arguments doesn't sound to be scientific by any means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
See the part about it being a non-issue isn't an opinion, it's science, physics. You can make it into an issue, but it's your own fantasy. Good luck buying a Geiger counter -- you can't. Try looking for a scintillator. That'll detect radiation -- lots of it everywhere. Next you'll need to learn what radiation is significant. If you don't you'll be busy hiding yourself and your beloved kids from the dirt in your garden and the ash from the wonderful coal fueled power plants that is -- you guessed it -- not only toxic, but also radioactive.

Bottom line, you're chasing your behind around the table. Knock yourself out but watch out, my guess is Darwin's after you . . .
Appreciate 0