BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-22-2021, 07:57 AM   #1
najnad
General of the Space Forces
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 X3 35i M-sport

Garage List
Question for those who have retrofitted carplay/Android auto

I am considering getting one of the units to retrofit carplay/Android auto after a drive yesterday that the BMW nav traffic info failed horribly in telling me about traffic until it was too late. One of the things that has discouraged me to this point is that all the units I have seen require a cable running to the aux port for the audio to come through. Are there any work arounds for this to more seamlessly integrate the retrofit? Will be in a 2011 X3 35i running CIC. Thanks
Current: 2020 X5 x40i M-Sport, Arctic Grey Metallic / Ivory White, Executive Package, Luggage Compartment Package, Integral Active Steering, Tow Package, Parking Assist Package, Driving Assist Package, M-Sport brakes, Tux Mats
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 08:36 AM   #2
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
If you're talking about the MMI box, there's a lot of info here, not sure about the aux cable.

Last edited by pungo; 08-22-2021 at 09:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 08:45 AM   #3
Fodaski55
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28i

Apple Car play retrofit

I would check out the Bimmertech web site. You can enter your vin numbers through there site to confirm compatibility and choose your software upgrade. I used them to upgrade/ install the upgrade to utilize the features of my apple iPhone
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 01:53 PM   #4
burningmango
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 35i, E46 330Ci

Hello! I've retrofitted a wireless Apple CarPlay MMI box from ebay, I know it's currently out of stock but from my experience with this specific box is really good.

It does require a connection to your AUX port for any audio output coming from the MMI box, and frankly, the audio quality isn't that great. At higher volumes, audio tends to start clipping at high frequencies. I've tried messing with the EQ levels (through the MMI box and iDrive) and made it more bearable but it still isn't good as Bluetooth audio coming straight from my phone.

But! You can still connect your iPhone to the factory iDrive's Blueooth and CarPlay at the same time and have just your phone audio go through iDrive and CarPlay visuals/map navigation on the screen!

The advantage of this is you get to keep your song next/previous controls from the steering wheel and song info in the cluster. And you get to keep the clarity of the music going through your speakers.

There are a few caveats with this method though. First, when you're using navigation, you will not get any voice prompts if you're playing music through Bluetooth. The same goes for any notification sounds. Whenever you get a text message and interact with it using CarPlay, it will somtimes play through Bluetooth as a phone call, or in other cases, it will play through the MMI box therefore not hearing it. This also applies to talking to Siri.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 03:49 PM   #5
evilchargerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 (N55), 2014 I01 (REX)

I recently installed a "road top" mmi box in my bmw i3

I did not have to run a line to aux

Everything is working just fine
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 11:05 AM   #6
guyman101
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 Xdrive30i

I recently installed a RoadTop MMI box in my 2019 X3.
The unit came with an aux to usb adapter, but I did not use it. Instead, I coded AUX into my Idrive (NBT EVO ID6) by using bimmercode and a Veepeak OBDII scanner. The audio just gets routed to the car's Aux but there is no physical connection to it. Initial audio quality was not great, but turned out OK after I tinkered around with the EQ settings of the MMI box.

Initial setup for wired and wireless carplay was seamless.
Android Auto was a bit more challenging, using a Samsung Galaxy S21. It took a reboot of the unit (long press on IDrive's Back button) for it to recognize the phone when connected via usb. Wireless AA was extremely laggy at 1st, but got solved after changing the wi-fi channel from 6 to 36.
Steering wheel buttons and scrolling wheel integrate very well with Carplay or AA.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 1