BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-01-2011, 02:46 PM   #23
bkd
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harplayr View Post
I think he may be referring to whether the factory paint needs to cure for a few weeks or months before putting the Zaino or wax on it.

My understanding is that the newer clear coat factory paint jobs are good to go, but I’ll defer to somebody with more expertise.
Yes, my question was whether i can use Zaino right after i get the delivery of my x3 or do I need to wait for some weeks or months

Thanks Harplayer and Lateshow for your response
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2011, 05:40 PM   #24
lateshow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 35i Space Gray

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkd View Post
Yes, my question was whether i can use Zaino right after i get the delivery of my x3 or do I need to wait for some weeks or months

Thanks Harplayer and Lateshow for your response
I'm not an expert on the topic, but I did as much online research as possible on the subject just to be sure. I can't find any credible and/or recent information that would indicate that the modern painting processes of leading auto manufacturers require any curing time whatsoever after shipment.

I also know for a fact that my dealership waxes each and every new BMW before the new owner takes delivery, which backs up this logic.

I had my car for about 3 weeks before I did this work. I only waited for a nice day, not for cure time. (It's been historically crappy in Chicago lately)
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2011, 07:18 PM   #25
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i, F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateshow View Post
I'm not an expert on the topic, but I did as much online research as possible on the subject just to be sure. I can't find any credible and/or recent information that would indicate that the modern painting processes of leading auto manufacturers require any curing time whatsoever after shipment.

I also know for a fact that my dealership waxes each and every new BMW before the new owner takes delivery, which backs up this logic.

I had my car for about 3 weeks before I did this work. I only waited for a nice day, not for cure time. (It's been historically crappy in Chicago lately)
Did you remove the wax before applying the Zanio? If so how did you remove it?
I was also wondering the best way to remove wax from the plastic parts?
On my 2010 when I waxed it I got some on the plastic by accident and it looks like a foggy smear.
Does Zanio leave such a residue if you get it on the plastic parts?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2011, 08:56 PM   #26
F48Hawk
OFP
Rep
Drives: 2000 F48 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateshow View Post
Tough call. I went through the exact same debate to the point that I stopped at damn near every dealership I drove by to see if I could see the pair of them in person, side-by-side. Of course I'm biased, but I couldn't be happier with the color. It has different shades in different lights, the contours of the car are pulled out with the space gray, and the xline trim really stands out against the darker color as well. Trust me on this one from a guy that was really worried about my space gray choice until it was delivered....you'll be happy. I get complimented on the color every day by kids, my wife's friends, dudes, and even old ladies. You can't go wrong with space gray.
Thanks for elaborating on how the color looks in different lighting and how it brings out the contours and xline trim. I was really hoping that was the case. I wish I could see the two in person as well, but we only have 1 BMW center here on Okinawa with no F25's on the lot. I will have to wait until my next trip back to the States. We have always loved the TS, but when I first saw the SG on a BMW I was immediatley drawn to it and loved the depth and contrast. I am pretty sure that my mind is made up to go with SG, just need to convince my wife. It's a good thing I can't order for another 9 months or so...
2007 E83 3.0si TS - Sold
2000 E46 323i AW - Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2011, 11:02 PM   #27
lateshow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 35i Space Gray

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harplayr View Post
Did you remove the wax before applying the Zanio? If so how did you remove it?
I was also wondering the best way to remove wax from the plastic parts?
On my 2010 when I waxed it I got some on the plastic by accident and it looks like a foggy smear.
Does Zanio leave such a residue if you get it on the plastic parts?
Again, you can get all the detail you need from the Zaino site. You wash the car with Dawn dish soap and use a clay bar to remove the wax and other contaminants first. That's easy on a new car.

This wax comes off the black parts and plastic parts very easily if you let it dry before you try to remove it. I've never had an issue with this.
Appreciate 0