BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-01-2012, 11:24 PM   #1
MAKE
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 20i

X3 Key Fob and Security

My F25 X3 does not have comfort access. I am concerned about the Safety and security aspects if the vehicle is separated from the key fob.

NB in all the scenarios the Auto Start Stop Feature will be off and the a/c will be on because of the passenger in my hot climate:

1.If the car is idling and I have the remote key fob in my pocket and I leave the car with a passenger inside and pop into a shop about 30 metres away, will the car switch off? Will there be any visual or audible warnings.

2.What is the maximum distance or time the key fob can be from the vehicle to remain idling?

3.In the event of a car jacking, the vehicle and the remote key fob are separated, at what distance will the engine switch off? Will there be any prior audible or visual warnings.
When the vehicle is recovered, will a BMW dealer have to reset the security systems afterwards or will the Key Fob still work in the proximity of the car again without special intervention?

My apologies in advance if any of my questions seem trivial or have already been dealt with elsewhere on the forum.

You guys are the only ones I trust to ask for info, Dealers seem clueless.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 01:32 AM   #2
MAKE
Rep

Thanks Lotus7, can always count on your comprehensive knowledge.

I expect that the information you supplied will is standard to all markets and is helpful to us all in understand the workings of the systems in our cars

I forgot to mention that the South African Spec vehicles have the alarm system as standard.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 06:51 AM   #3
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
As it is on N.A. cars.

Since the alarm is not activated until the "Lock" button is pressed, I believe the alarm won't be triggered no matter if the key remote is removed.

Always wondered what would happen if someone started driving away and the "lock" button was pressed on a "outside the car" key remote (still within remote range). Will the engine stop and the car lock? Has anyone tried this?
Re the alarm. It seems to differ depending on how you lock the car and perhaps if the car senses someone in the passenger seat.

With dogs in the back, car and A/C on, I went back in to pay a vet bill locking the car from the outside. The alarm and motion sensors apparently activated and the alarm went off after about 30 seconds and some dog movement. With a passenger in the front seat and locking from the central locking button, that didn't happen -- so not sure if it's the interior lock, the seat, or both.

Not sure if anything about Comfort Access would change the above (mine has it).

I've done similar and been about 100m away and the car continued to run. I expect that's way out of range of the key. Was away at least 10 min and the car was still running.
      01-02-2012, 08:38 AM   #4
MAKE
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
Re the alarm. It seems to differ depending on how you lock the car and perhaps if the car senses someone in the passenger seat.

With dogs in the back, car and A/C on, I went back in to pay a vet bill locking the car from the outside. The alarm and motion sensors apparently activated and the alarm went off after about 30 seconds and some dog movement. With a passenger in the front seat and locking from the central locking button, that didn't happen -- so not sure if it's the interior lock, the seat, or both.

Not sure if anything about Comfort Access would change the above (mine has it).

I've done similar and been about 100m away and the car continued to run. I expect that's way out of range of the key. Was away at least 10 min and the car was still running.
Were there any warnings on the idrive screen after any of your scenarios?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 08:46 AM   #5
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Yes. It gave the "key fob outside the car" warning, but that was it.