BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-22-2012, 08:39 AM   #45
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
I started reading the thread on the other forum (pg 10 of 55). You guys have said the coding is fairly easy but after installing the esys software I'm loosing my nerves about trying this. Is it possible to fubar the car (brick it as horsey stated)?
ibjgh, your concerns are very genuine.

The term 'easy' is a relative term. If you know the task, it's easy to do it, if you do not know how to do it, it's nerve breaking as you feel that you are entering into an unknown territory. I had the similar feelings but could over come by reading thru the getting started part 1 and part 2 again and again. Manual 1.4 is very detailed and assumes that you have some knowledge on the organization of different components / modules of the car. I know it is difficult to understand the meanings of certain words like FA, FP and VOT as they are short forms of German words. But once you understand the concept, it would be easy to move around.

X3 is beautiful and expensive. We would definitely not like to brick it and a fear of making mistake and having no back up correcting the mistake creates feeling of nerve breaking.

There are two types of people, one who are very careful and try to understand every nook and corner before plunging into new tasks and other types of people are who do not thin much but just learn what is needed and jump into the fray. Our mind all the time evaluates the risks of taking a new step. If we can work out the risk fairly well then it is easy to take decision else moving ahead creates insecurity feelings.

Are there risks in coding? Yes there are. What are those risks and how to minimize them is our next question. I analysed in my own way:

Risks and Resolutions:
1. Messing up things if we don't know what are we doing. That's why reading and preparing ourselves well is important.
2. Connectivity should not break During data transfer. I think this is the biggest risk. We got to ensure that we have reliable cable, laptop has enough battery reserve and won't shut down during coding, car battery is fully charged and we have taken the full backup before reconfiguring the car. Obviously I am not talking about advance programming.
3. You have the right software and data. This is not that great risk as you will be downloading from the known reliable sources.
4. We have taken the backup of original CAF files and have saved FA and VOT.

No other risk comes to my mind at this point of time

If you can minimize these risks to a comfort level, you are ready to go. I am an electronics and Software engineer that's why I decided to assemble cables for others and prepare backup utility for others to minimize risks. If time permits, I will prepare a step by step procedure in laymans terms to simplifying the process and thus minimize the fear of bricking the car.

Hope you feel better now.

Last edited by April1; 06-22-2012 at 09:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 10:49 AM   #46
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep

I suggest one not to hurry up coding your car, let the teething problems get over. Drive your car for six months or so. I don't want you to doubt your coding for no reasons if some issue crops up like window not opening properly.....

Last edited by April1; 06-22-2012 at 12:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 10:53 AM   #47
idahoakl
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
I started reading the thread on the other forum (pg 10 of 55). You guys have said the coding is fairly easy but after installing the esys software I'm loosing my nerves about trying this. Is it possible to fubar the car (brick it as horsey stated)?
I'm with you on being a bit nervous to start working on such an expensive toy but never the less I'll probably start coding when I get some time. One thing I've learned from playing with stuff such as a car, phone, computer, etc. is to do the work when you have time to be able to ask someone else for help if you get stuck. Don't try to code your car for the first time if you have to take your family somewhere later that day and you must take the car you're coding on. You want to be able to get yourself unstuck without making your situation worse and nothing is more unnerving than the pressure of having to do it right the first time with no room for error.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 11:52 AM   #48
KingX
Unregistered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 M-Sport 35i

I said easy as well but I'm also an engineer....BUT i think once you read the info that's out there for this it's pretty much following directions.

This isn't really coding as other people said ...you just have to setup the program as instructed..make the connection...click some buttons as shown in the directions ....and follow the cheat sheet of which modules to look for what in to update them...then follow the instruction back out.

The guys on the other forum really did a good job documenting the info needed with pictures and instructions.

[Black Sapphire/Oyster/Wave Wood: ZPP/ZTP/ZCW/ZCX/ZDH/ZPS/ZMP/6NR]
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 12:22 PM   #49
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingX View Post
I said easy as well but I'm also an engineer....BUT i think once you read the info that's out there for this it's pretty much following directions.
My condolences on the career choice. just kidding... I deal with 'you' professionals all the time.

Quote:
The guys on the other forum really did a good job documenting the info needed with pictures and instructions.
I was looking for the pictures... hahah, must be on pages 11-50.
      06-22-2012, 12:24 PM   #50
Teemo Panda
*Bimmerpost Plasti Dip Guru*
United_States
Rep
Drives: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3

Garage List
2013 BMW X3  [5.66]
Why don't we all meet up hosted by StepfordBMW to code the f25 :P?
      06-22-2012, 12:31 PM   #51
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamigawa120 View Post
Its too expensive for me to travel to East Coast just for the meet. I can definitely participate in a web conference
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 12:34 PM   #52
StepfordBMW
Captain Amazing
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by April1
Quote:
Its too expensive for me to travel to East Coast just for the meet. I can definitely participate in a web conference
I put the satellite in the boot-
And bring it to the meeting for the teleconference...
      06-22-2012, 12:38 PM   #53
Teemo Panda
*Bimmerpost Plasti Dip Guru*
United_States
Rep
Drives: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3

Garage List
2013 BMW X3  [5.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by April1
Quote:
Awwww. Don't worry, il film it for you :P, except faces are going to be censored Jk.
      06-22-2012, 12:46 PM   #54
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Awwww. Don't worry, il film it for you :P, except faces are going to be censored Jk.
OMG I was more interested in knowing people and you would block that
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 11:50 AM   #55
mge92
SPEED RACER
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50d BMW M2 CS

Anyone near the DC area willing to code my x3 ... willing to compensate!
Appreciate 0