BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-11-2008, 08:21 AM   #1
RNaeve
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 X3/ 2008 Cooper S

Dealer Installed IPod adapter issues

Does Anyone Have an '08 X3 with the Ipod Adapter? tell me if you are happy!
We bought an 08 X3 two days ago, the salesman said that with the $646 dealer installed option we would have full control of our Ipod using the display of the radio.
we don't have the NAV opt on this.
we hooked up the ipod and we got a number of songs in order of the ipod or random
The next day I called him, he said he was wrong we would only be able to create playlists on itunes called BMW 1,2,3,4,5 that would have up to 99 songs each.
we just want to view artist, albums and song titles.
what do we need to do??
We bought a Cooper S in July the dealer didn't know much about that Ipod adapter on that either.
anybody with 2008 X3 experience on this??

Last edited by RNaeve; 12-12-2008 at 07:11 PM.. Reason: more clarification
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 03:34 PM   #2
jtmccabe
Commoner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i sedan

Garage List
Ronny boy! What's with all the crickets in here?
2008 335i sedan | 6MT | Dinan S2 flash | Titanium Silver/Black leather/Burl walnut | Sport | Premium | CW| CA | Nav | HD Radio | iPod/USB | Sirius | PDC | Style 162/230 (winter/summer) | M3 steering wheel | ZHP shift knob | Blacklines | Lux 4.0 | etc.

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2009, 12:06 PM   #3
mexx3
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2006 2.5iA

I had the ipod interface installed on my 05 1 series and it was awesome. I was able to control all the ipod functions via the stereo and the steering wheel. You could see artists / songs, playlists, etc. I understand that the 04-06 X3 had a previous version of the professional radio that didnīt allow this kind of integration, it was via de the playlists and worked like a cd changer. X3s after 07 have the new version of the prof radio and should work like in my 1er.

Never had a single problem with the interface, in fact it is the best integration Iīve seen, and I have had several cars with ipod interfaces.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2009, 01:12 AM   #4
Back to the future
England
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 3.0 d Sport Auto

Get your money back and have it taken out! go to the link below and fit the Dice Siverline for about $150. It does all that you want. It takes about 10 mins to fit yourself and is easy as pie.It fits neatly into the elbow rest, all the pre-installed wiring is there also. If you google "how to fit an ipod in a BMW X3" someone has put 4 videos of how to install it on you tube. Thats what I did and I saved over $120 installation fee also!!

http://www.ipodcarkitdirect.co.uk/BM...e_iPod_Car_Kit

More info on request, would be glad to help.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2009, 10:05 PM   #5
RobVe
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 X3

Sorry... I just posted a new thread, then saw you guys were already talking about this. Does anyone know where I might find the Ipod interface on my '08 X3? I wanna disconnect it and put in a DICE. I can't find anything under the console bin. thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2009, 07:59 PM   #6
mexx3
Registered
Rep

Great recommendation. I just bought a used 2006 X3 from a good friend and definitely needed the ipod interface. The Dice interface seems to be the best.

My X3 is the most basic one (unfortunately, but it had only 15k miles on it and I know the owner took excellent care) and it doesnīt have the center arm-rest but rather a longer center console. Anybody knows if the 6 pin and 3 pin cables are also under this console?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 02:13 AM   #7
Back to the future
England
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 3.0 d Sport Auto

Dice connections

Try removing the pull off cover on the left hand side in the boot. This may be where the 6 cd player is meant to go on your model. The 2 plugs should be located in a neoprene sheath ty-rapped to the other wiring. You can just leave the ipod in the boot out of the way (and probably safer) and still operate it from the dashboard radio/cd controls or the steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2009, 02:23 PM   #8
mexx3
Registered
Rep

Thanks, I removed the cover and found the pack with the 6 pin and 3 pin conectors, fortunately not even hidden but just lying down there.

The dice interface arrived yesterday at my parentīs so Iīll install it this weekend and post the first impressions. Iīm looking forward to it, Iīm sick of changing cds...
Appreciate 0