BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-14-2018, 12:57 PM   #1
RLMAV8TOR
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3

Windshield wiper fluid

Any recommendations on the best windshield wiper fluid to use in a 2016 X3? I'd prefer to use something that is premixed.

Rest of the story: I just had my car serviced about a month ago. That should have included a check of the windshield wiper fluid level. Apparently not. Makes me wonder what else they didn't check. Not impressed with this BMW dealer's service. A couple of times they've completely blown off messages I left (no returned call). And they always take longer than they tell me for service. If the next closest BMW dealer wasn't so much further away, I'd be making a change.

Anyway, I'd be tempted to take the car back to them and make them refill the windshield wiper fluid (like they should have done in the first place)... but it's just not worth the time and aggravation of dealing with them.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 02:49 PM   #2
BIG_KID
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 28i

This is exactly why I do my own work. I would rather mess something up than pay someone to mess it up for me.

I tell my wife to get the "orange" wiper fluid
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 03:32 PM   #3
RLMAV8TOR
Rep

The owner's manual says to use BMW wiper fluid or "equivalent." I don't want to use anything that could potentially damage the system. Any thoughts on that?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 04:49 PM   #4
Bruce24
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 2.8i

Your car doesn't do anything with the windshield washer fluid, other that squirt it at your windshields and headlights, so I don't see how any normal fluid could cause any damage. To me the only thing you need to care about, if you live in an area that gets cold, is what the freezing temperature of the fluid is.

I used to just look for something at 0F, but I happen to need some last week and after the very cold weather we had recently instead of getting the Rain-X all season I usually buy, I ended up getting the Rain-X De-Icer. The all season says it's good to 0F, the De-Icer says -25F. I'll have to wait until the summer to see if there is any difference in how the de-Icer cleans dead bugs off my windshield.

-Bruce
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 05:00 PM   #5
RLMAV8TOR
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce24 View Post
Your car doesn't do anything with the windshield washer fluid, other that squirt it at your windshields and headlights, so I don't see how any normal fluid could cause any damage.
I suspect you're right. I suppose maybe some parts in the system could get corroded by certain types of fluids. Since the owner's manual specifically says BMW type or equivalent, I figure there must be some reason for it to say that. Probably they just want to sell more official BMW wiper fluid...

As for the freezing temp... I live in the Atlanta area, so I think 0 degrees F should be sufficient. We shut this whole place down if a flake of snow falls from the sky.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 03:11 AM   #6
Smithy2014
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0d msport Auto

There was an article in a UK motoring magazine recently in the 'problems' page where an X3 owner had issues with the jets and BMW said it was not covered under warranty as he had used an alternative washer fluid and not BMW's own - from memory they said that their washer fluid is a 'special mix' and anything else could damage the seals / nozzles etc. load of b@##@ks if you ask me but its a 'get out of jail free' card for them!
      01-15-2018, 04:04 AM   #7
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy2014 View Post
There was an article in a UK motoring magazine recently in the 'problems' page where an X3 owner had issues with the jets and BMW said it was not covered under warranty as he had used an alternative washer fluid and not BMW's own - from memory they said that their washer fluid is a 'special mix' and anything else could damage the seals / nozzles etc. load of b@##@ks if you ask me but its a 'get out of jail free' card for them!
There have been many cases of people in the UK using different mixtures (from supermarkets and other outlets) of screen wash fluid and find that they interact with each other and "gunge" up their system. The result is that they have the system purged by BMW at considerable cost.

In my view it is best to use the BMW recommended fluid and not court disaster.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 06:38 AM   #8
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
rainx is not good, please use forum search button.
Use the oem fluid.
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2018, 07:34 AM   #9
Ol' Fart
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3, 28d, Mineral White

I have always liked and used the Rain X brand until I got my first Audi. Then I read on the forums that the Rain X brand fluid could cause clogs in the pump and there were numerous examples posted. I started using the cheap Walmart stuff and haven't had any problems. I have used it in a Volkswagen Jetta, two Audis, and now two BMWs without issue. In winter just use the winter mix which has a lower freezing temp.

2019 BMW 430 XI Grand Coupe, White, Black leather interior

2016 BMW X3, 28d, Mineral White metalic, Oyster Nevada leather interior.
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2018, 08:18 AM   #10
najnad
General of the Space Forces
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 X3 35i M-sport

Garage List
Whatever fluid you use, add this the P21S Windsheild Wash Booster, it makes a big difference imo

http://p21s.com/products/bis_wwb.html
Appreciate 0